Where do I find Bags?

snazzypit

Aug 2, 2010
North Jersey
I have looked at well over 100 different banks in the last few months, and not one of them that has a counting machine will let me purchase the bags. Anyone willing to gimme a hint to what bank allows you to purchase coin bags? Would be more fun than going through the clear brinks rolls. I tend to do a lot of pennies and nickles, because even in clear rolls you still need to look through em.

Thanks for the help
SNAZ

Upvote 0

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have gotten this same response, hah. The tellers look at you like you are trying to rob the place while at the same time trying to pay them for it, so they get awkward and just try to get rid of you asap. I'm looking forward to hearing some comments on this, too.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EpsilonMinus said:
I have gotten this same response, hah. The tellers look at you like you are trying to rob the place while at the same time trying to pay them for it, so they get awkward and just try to get rid of you asap. I'm looking forward to hearing some comments on this, too.

It is almost to the point where you need to know someone. The lady who does my ordering has a daughter who runs track. I am the track coach for our high school, she will get me anything I want to order and absolutely refuses to sell me halves that have come in pre-rolled because she know there is a CRH that uses her bank as a dump bank. She accumulates the halves and dishes them out to people who come in asking for halves without an account.

The teller who always get the halves for me made a comment today with the word "HAKA" in it. As soon as she said it, I turned around
and she smiled at me. Her son also runs track and "HAKA" is an acronym for "Haul A@@ Kick A@@" that our track team made up
over five years ago. I just found out who her son was. I soon as I walk in the door, everyone pretty much says "Good Morning Coach".

Guess the point is, it takes alot of networking to find the right spots.

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Three years ago I was able to get bags on almost every road trip. The last year or so it has been rare to get anyone to be willing to pull the bag off the machine. I think it has to do with the number of people hunting now. It used to be the bag sat on the machine for maybe a year or more and they were happy to not have to account for it anymore. Now they get asked for halves a lot more and it is less work for the teller to let it fill up and have the vault person send if off with the rest of the bagged coins. I have a few banks that I have built relationships with over the years that will call me when the bag fills so I can go in and buy it.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snazzypit said:
I have looked at well over 100 different banks in the last few months, and not one of them that has a counting machine will let me purchase the bags. Anyone willing to gimme a hint to what bank allows you to purchase coin bags? Would be more fun than going through the clear brinks rolls. I tend to do a lot of pennies and nickles, because even in clear rolls you still need to look through em.

Thanks for the help
SNAZ

Unfortunately there are very few banks around me that have coin counters. I have yet to find a bank that will NOT sell me a bag though. However, the bag must be full before they will sell it - I have yet to find a bank that will pull a partially full bag off the machine and sell it. Find out what day the coin service picks up the bags, and hit the banks on the afternoon before the pickup and see if they have any full bags and if they will sell you one/some. This works for me.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snazzypit said:

Thanks for the help
SNAZ

For the most part it depends on bank policy as well as the type of coin machine the bank has.

Some machines have buttons to allow them to mark a bag as empty. Other machines can only mark a bag as empty when the bag is full and removed from the machine. If the bank knows how to mark a bag as empty at any time, those types of machines you might be able to find a bank that will sell you a partial bag. More typically, however, I find I have to fill the bag up first and buy back the full bag that contains some of my own halves to get bags off the machine. This usually also means it isn't worth it unless the bag is at least half way full, but feel free to use your own judgment on that one.

Some banks will only sell to customers, and others don't care.

Personally, I would say that about 40-60% of the banks will sell their bags under one method or another, but the rest never will.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to know my tellers fora a while before i even decided to ask. |You just need to find a bank that has a coin machine, and get in there and ask if they will sell you bags off of the machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread