Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin show. I was going to say Craigslist, but I've had several rolls listed at 25% below melt for over a month, they won't sell.

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I was just asking this question recently. From what I hear, the consensus is either a coin show or AMPEX. AMPEX typically deals with large orders, so you might not get as close to melt value if you don't have $1000 face. You can probably forget about pawn shops or coin shops. I checked at several around here, and they ranged from $6 for a silver dollar (lol) to $11 per $1 face for 90% silver coins. Although I did manage to find one place that is buying at $14 per $1 face...

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
Coin show. I was going to say Craigslist, but I've had several rolls listed at 25% below melt for over a month, they won't sell.

I'll take them for that price.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I sell I go to a coin/jewelry store in town and get a pretty good deal. I get under melt, which is understandable because they have to make a little, but not much under melt and I don't have to deal with mailing coins etc.

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
Hi Ho Silver! said:
$6.00 for a Silver Dollar???????????? What country were you in??????? :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Pretty crazy. This was only about three weeks ago that I called. I guess the jerks are just trying to rip off grandma who doesn't know anything about coins. It's a very crappy way to run a business.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got 90% of melt at a coin show on sunday. You have to work the room, don't take the first offer.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
bigtime400 said:
I was looking to unload some of my 40% halves. Anyone know know a good place? Kitco would send me a 1099 right? Not sure if I want to go that route.

Bulliondirect.com too. A reasonable price to get on 40% halves is $57 on $10 on Nucleo right now. ALmost 6X face just for the 40%ers. And the 90%ers are going for 15X face PLUS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread