$10,000.00 in pennies

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
I just received an email from a friend who works at a bank and she asked me if I want over $10,000.00 in rolled pennies that have been there for ever. She does not know exactly but they have been there since she can remember and she has been there for 20 years. I said yes. She said they will buy them back when I am done going through them. I am assuming most if not all of them will be pre 82. Any suggestions. PJ

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me and I had the cash I would buy them all then go buy a Ryedale. Imagine the fun that would be. Cull the copper, wheats and IH's and return the zincolns.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
PJ in WI said:
I just received an email from a friend who works at a bank and she asked me if I want over $10,000.00 in rolled pennies that have been there for ever. She does not know exactly but they have been there since she can remember and she has been there for 20 years. I said yes. She said they will buy them back when I am done going through them. I am assuming most if not all of them will be pre 82. Any suggestions. PJ

Something stinks about this story. This bank must have a very big vault to keep $10.000.00 in cents. Then it has to be counted everyday for the past 20 years,go figure.
If this is a friend of yours, why didn't she tell you about the rolls a year ago,5 years ago?
I'd think twice about carrying 10k into the bank with what appears to be a tall tale .
Could be legit. Then again you could get robbed. Think about it.
HH
Rich

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10K in pennies would look like this--

1millionpennies.jpg

and 50-50 on the copper or zinc ratio would weigh around 6250 pounds if I done my math correctly..

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
Yikes, I'd get them a couple boxes at a time and see what you get. Probably would be worth it to get the rydale since you can resell at 1.2-1.5 cents each (since they can't be melted yet).

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
PJ in WI said:

I'd buy the whole thing, and then start sorting with the Ryedale. If they are at least 20 years old, then I bet 80% will be copper. That will leave you with very little to return, and the copper will be wonderful!

If you get $8,000.00 in copper, that is a $5,000 gain for what you can sell NOW on ebay at CURRENT ebay prices. Yes, that is worth doing! And if you get some wheats (maybe a LOT of wheats) you can get even more profit. This could be a $7,000 - $10,000 profit for you. Go for it, get them all, spend THREE MONTHS to go through them, and that would STILL be $2,500 - $3,000 per month in profit. WORTH the effort!!

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
jrf30 said:
PJ in WI said:

I'd buy the whole thing, and then start sorting with the Ryedale. If they are at least 20 years old, then I bet 80% will be copper. That will leave you with very little to return, and the copper will be wonderful!

If you get $8,000.00 in copper, that is a $5,000 gain for what you can sell NOW on ebay at CURRENT ebay prices. Yes, that is worth doing! And if you get some wheats (maybe a LOT of wheats) you can get even more profit. This could be a $7,000 - $10,000 profit for you. Go for it, get them all, spend THREE MONTHS to go through them, and that would STILL be $2,500 - $3,000 per month in profit. WORTH the effort!!

10-4 Buy it just for the wheats and Ih's you'll find.

OP
OP
P

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
Update on the penny horde. The reason she told me about the pennies is because I called her to ask if she knew of any banks in our area that had a coin counter that I could use instead of the tellers. She alway knew I was a coin collector but never knew I was a crh until a week ago. I am not worried about being robbed. To all that have responded with the helpful hints, Thank You. I plan on picking some of them (about 1500 lbs worth next week). I do not own the Ryedale yet but I will buy one shortly. PJ

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
PJ in WI said:
Update on the penny horde. The reason she told me about the pennies is because I called her to ask if she knew of any banks in our area that had a coin counter that I could use instead of the tellers. She alway knew I was a coin collector but never knew I was a crh until a week ago. I am not worried about being robbed. To all that have responded with the helpful hints, Thank You. I plan on picking some of them (about 1500 lbs worth next week). I do not own the Ryedale yet but I will buy one shortly. PJ

Good-

Keep us in the loop on copper %, wheats and IH's found.
If you get solid boxes of old (new pennies) copper, keep them intact and sell them seperately for a nice profit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions