1st Road Trip - Adrenaline Was Pumping All Day!!!

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went on my first road trip today with some good results! I Started with $1,000 in my pocket and visited 8 towns, drove 125 miles round-trip, and had a blast! Here goes:

Town #1: Only bank in town - I go in and ask for halves and the head teller says you are lucky we never have them in but we have 16 rolls, how many do you want? Uhhh...ALL!!! I was so excited I am sure she probably read all over my face I was an inexperienced newbie but she was happy to release all 16 rolls to me. The coin rolls were really old looking and I immediately had visions of sugarplums dancing in my head! She felt bad about me having to carry all of those rolls out to my car so she gave me a free canvas coin bag!!! I got out to the car an proceeded to unleash a coin unwrapping fury on those poor rolls. While doing so and skunking out on the first few I noticed small cursive writing in pencil on the rolls that said "No val.". WHAT!?! While examining the remaining rolls now I see this same notation on at least half of the rolls, then see dates written on them too (i.e. 1974, 1976, etc.). Most of the rolls were all the same dates in each roll and they were all CLAD! A little disappointing, but a free canvas coin bag to start the day, good start if you ask me!!!

Town #2: 3 Banks

Bank #1 - squadoosh!
Bank #2 - 1 loose clad half!
Bank #3 - zilch!
Town #3: Only one bank in town - 10 machine rolls and 2 loose clad halves. Luck started to turn up, the machine rolls produced 3 40%s!
Town #4: Only one bank in town which produced a whole lot of wasted time!
Town #5: 2 Banks

Bank #1 - 3 customer rolls were all duds!
Bank #2 - 1 customer roll and one loose clad half. This is where things started to get interesting -- the teller reached way back into her lower safe and pulled out a roll that looked about 50 years old and it still had unbroken masking tape on the ends!!! I was so excited I couldn't even wait to get to my car to open it so I peeked in one end as I was walking to my car and saw beautiful bright white! When I got into my car and dumped the roll into my hand it was glorious...11 64's as pretty as I have ever seen and 2 pretty as I have ever seen 65's and seven low 70's clad halves to round out the roll. I was on cloud nine at this point and started driving in the wrong direction for a couple of miles until I woke up from my daze!!! :hello2:
Total so far:
1 free canvas coin bag
11 - 90%s
5 - 40%s

Town #6: 3 Banks

Bank #1 - 2 clad halves and 6 old looking customer rolls got my blood pumping but only produced 1 40%er! Get this, the 40%er was the penultimate coin in the last roll I opened - phew, that was a close call!

Bank #2 - 2 customer rolls and $5.50 loose - all clad!

Bank #3 - $5 loose - all clad!
Total so far:
1 free canvas coin bag
11 - 90%s
6 - 40%s

Before I overview Town #7, I must have had the music too loud as I didn't hear my phone ring or beep. When I get to Town #7 I see the missed call and voicemail and decided to listen to the message because it was a local phone number. One of my local banks head tellers called and said we have a bunch of half dollar rolls I know you said you collect them please call me and let me know if you want to come pick them up. I get really excited and the funny thing is that I told her this like 4-5 months ago and she wrote my name down but I didn't think I would ever get a call. How crazy is this, the first day I go on a CRH trip and I get a call for a motherlode of customer rolled halves!?! So I call her up and she says verbatim: "there are 28 rolls here some lady dropped them off because her dad just passed away and these were in his vault! ???WHAT??? OMG I am freaking out at this point - I say yes I will take them all thank you so much I will be there in about an hour to an hour and a half (was about 50 miles away at this point and still had a few stops left). p.s. - anxiety is setting in now and yes visions of those sugarplums were setting in too!
Town #7: One bank produced $8 in loose clads!
Town #8: 6 Banks

Bank #1 - zero!

Bank #2 - zilch!

Bank #3 - $5 loose produced nada!

Bank #4 - more of nothing!

Bank #5 - Really funny story here: this young teller calls me over and I ask her if they have any half dollars and she looks at me funny and smiles and she asks if I want any dollar coins to which I reply no thank you I am just looking for half dollar coins. She nervously answers I'm sorry but I don't know what those are!!! ???WHAT??? Well I am looking at her big coin tray and there is one loose half just sitting there and I say see that big one over there - that is a half dollar. She smiles, says thanks for letting me know and asks if I want it. I say yes and take it even though it is clad! WOWSERZ, she better get up to speed before her drawer comes up a little short one day!!!

Bank #6 - 8 customer rolls and $15.50 loose clad halves. When asking for the loose halves the head teller informs me that these are not silver do you still want them? I say yes and say they are for my 'coin books' so she gives up the loose and the other teller gives me the 8 customer rolls which were packed in very old and ratty looking rolls so of course I am a little excited at this point. I open up the 8 rolls in my car and they were all duds!

Now I am free to get back home and pick up those old rolls which I spoke about earlier! :icon_thumright:

I get home in record time...and had to wait in line for 5 full minutes - what gives???!!! At any rate, the head teller who called me instructs the other teller to get the rolls for me and she drops them all on the counter. These rolls look super old and have the persons name written in cursive on them -- they have not been opened recently for this I am sure. Luckily I brought in a big heavy duty ziplock bag to carry my rolls out or it would have been a few trips. When walking out I thank the head teller profusely and she asks if I want her to call me every time they get halves in and of course I say YES please and thank you so much!

To end my first CRH Road Trip story, I get home and tear through the old 'vault' rolls with decent results although nowhere close to what I had envisioned. 1 roll produced a '64, another roll produced 5 40%s, and 3 other rolls produced one 40% each for a total of 1 90% and 8 40%s.

Totals for the day:
1 free canvas coin bag (sweet) :headbang:
12 - 90%ers
14 - 40%ers

Not too bad for 5 gallons of gas and 5 hours on the road -- I can't wait for my next road trip!!!

Thanks for reading and HH! :hello2:

$ilver$urfer

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
The most exciting road trip I've ever been on is right here on the computer reading your report.
That was one great read !
You are the Robert Ludlum of CRHing tales !
Oh and great score on the silver :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH
Rich

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great time. I'm new to this hobby as well. Do you ever get tired of asking tellers for halves, only to be told "no". Do you ever ask them to check the vault, because sometimes I get the impression they just don't want to take the time to go check, especially if it's a busy day.

Nice score btw.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Silversurfer,
I agree with Rich Hartman....that was one fantastic read. Kept me
on the edge of my seat the whole time. Ha!
Congrats on your successful road trip. I do them all the time.
rileyboy

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coincrawlin said:
Sounds like a great time. I'm new to this hobby as well. Do you ever get tired of asking tellers for halves, only to be told "no". Do you ever ask them to check the vault, because sometimes I get the impression they just don't want to take the time to go check, especially if it's a busy day.

Nice score btw.

ALWAYS ask! Nicely, of course.

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
The most exciting road trip I've ever been on is right here on the computer reading your report.
That was one great read !
You are the Robert Ludlum of CRHing tales !
Oh and great score on the silver :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH
Rich

Thanks for the great compliments Rich & Rileyboy - glad you enjoyed reading about my CRH tale!!! I had about as much fun writing and reliving my adventure than actually experiencing it...well, no, not really, but you know what I mean!!! :icon_sunny:

HH,

$ilver$urfer

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score, love those road trips :thumbsup:
HH..Miner

Top Member Reactions