Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good box of cents.

Picked up a box of nickels and cents after work today. Both were Brinks boxes. The nickels were almost all 2010P. The cents had some nice old ones mixed in. There were 47 wheats total but 13 are dated before 1940. There were (2)1910,(2)1916,1917,1917-D,(2)1918,1923,1927-D,1929,1930,and a 1939. The balance was 18 from the 1940s and 16 from the 1950s. Not worth a lot,most of the older ones might only grade G-4 but still fun to see those old years in there. Sorry, no pics. You see one wheatback, you've seen them all. Thanks for reading. MM2

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Good box of cents.

Thats a great box of cents! I average about 4-5 per box. Very nice! :icon_thumleft:

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a great box. I just finished $50 CWRs and got 10 wheats, which is average in my area. But I got an Indian head in VF-EF condition in the first roll.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

All you east coast guys get all the early wheaties. Wonder why there's not many early wheaties here in the west coast? West coast CRH'ers experience the same?

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010

SFBayArea said:
All you east coast guys get all the early wheaties. Wonder why there's not many early wheaties here in the west coast? West coast CRH'ers experience the same?
I'd suspect that's because most of the development out west didn't occur until the latter half of the 19th century, while the east was already very well developed when wheats came out. Also, traditionally, the east, in particular the north east, has been the wealthier part of the country, hence we would have more cash and change here.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

SFBayArea said:

I know many retired people here in AZ, and the story is always the same. they had collections of coins (art, thimbles, widgets, whatever) sitting in their house forever back in Jersey (or wherever). then they retired. They didn't want to bring all that stuff out here with them, so they sold it off. the coins? either sold at garage sale or given to the bank or Starbucks. They just didn't care.

it's the same with antiques. Not much out here. They left it all "back home". Even if they moved five times in their lives back east, they took it all with them each time. But when they got ready to come out west, they unloaded all the old stuff (coins AND antiques) and bought new (JUNK) when they got out here. Now their 5 year old couch needs replaced again, whereas their 30 year old couch back east is still in good condition.

But that is why there are not as many old coins or anything else out west.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread