Most people are clueless....

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I talked to a good friend the other day and he was asking me where would be a good place to invest a few thousand dollars.

He said he wanted a very safe guaranteed return.

I explained to him about CRH'ing and he looked at me like a dog looks at you when you whistle.

I went on the explain how the safety was guaranteed because you always had the money, and that just the form of that money changed. And with around 0.005% of the coins being silver, the average return on investment would be about 5% a week.

He just couldn't get it through his head that silver halves were worth more than regular clad halves.

The next week I showed him what I had found and he still didn't understand. He kept asking me what good a silver half was compared to a clad half, weren't they both worth 50 cents? No amount of explaining, or looking up the value of silver on the internet, could change his mind.

There is just some kind of mental block there and he cant get it through his head how a coin that says it is worth 50 cents can be worth more than 50 cents.

In my defense, I have told two people about this and both of them didn't like the idea, even when they saw how much silver I was finding.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
clueless.....and that's a good thing for us.....

My old man, (who understands the concept of crh'ing), believes that pulling silver coin from banks at face value is a bit of a "dirty deal".
Don't ask me why.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand why someone want to shoot on his own foot. The only person I told is living in Canada.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I guess the boxes are better were you live, because there is no 5% yield where I am.

CRHing is more like a job than an investment. Some may call it a hobby but it still involves much effort and time to find decent amounts. If somebody sticks with it long enough they will find some silver, but there is no guarantee.

Jim

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
I guess the boxes are better were you live, because there is no 5% yield where I am.

I agree there is no guarantee, but depending on how you look at the inverstment/return you could argue there is a 5% ROI (or more).

Say you buy $1000 in halves at the bank and consider the $1000 your investment. With current silver prices if you found 10 silver coins with 5 being 90%, you would essentially have $1050 or 5%.

However, you could also argue that the only investment made in the above scenario is $5 since 10 silver halves at face is $5. In which case the ROI is 1000%. In that case you arguing that since you are just getting you money back for the clad halves, there is no investment.

Of course in both of the above scenarios you are ignoring the cost of your time and other costs such as gas money or buying or dumping fees.

FWIW: in the halves I have searched in 2010, I am averaging about 15 silver halves/$500 (with about 12 being 40%). Granted I have done much more poorly from boxes than bags or loose so my averages may be skewed a bit.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
placerman said:
I talked to a good friend the other day and he was asking me where would be a good place to invest a few thousand dollars.

He said he wanted a very safe guaranteed return.

I explained to him about CRH'ing and he looked at me like a dog looks at you when you whistle.

The difference is that he wants an investment, and you offered him a "job" (or a hobyy). Using your same parameters, you can show him how to make more money by working at a place of employment. After all, the "investment" of gas to get there is offset by a paycheck that gives a GREAT ROI. And believe me, that is what CRH is. A paycheck. We work and put in hours of time to get the returns we get. An investment is something that he puts his money into and then lets it sit while he is busy at his OWN job or whatever he wants to do. It gives him a return, and he doesn't have to spend day after day sorting halves to continue to get the return.

That may be why he didn't understand. He was thinking in an investment mindset and you were showing him something other.

By the way, I can get him or anyone else exactly 7% on an investment that is safe, pays monthly, and doesn't have any principal fluctuation. If that is the type of thing he is looking for, let me know and I can send you details. I don't know if you want to help him out more or just let it drop, but if he was interested just let me know and I'll send what I have on it. Just as a help from the board. :-) If not, no biggie. Just offering. It's for people who have CDs and want to earn more than the 1 - 2% they get on CDs nowadays.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
To start with .... ssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Next sell your clueless friends your halves.

need i say more?

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
PM, the first rule of Fight Club,"We don't talk about Fight Club" The second rule is the same as the first. Cheers Placerman, Jim

Bigj5731

Aug 26, 2009
Michigan
There are so many people out there that know......its so pointless to try and keep it a secret. Ive run into atleast 4 different hunters within my small town of 3 banks, and I still find silver all the time.

-bigJ

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
The only people I've talked to about it are my 2 best friends, who think I'm crazy, and my best friends good friend, who understands what I'm doing, but doesn't think the time is worth it. None of them will take it up.

Oh, and my girlfriend, but she's just lazy.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have told a few of my closest friends but they have no interest in it. Doesnt even stop my wife from thinking i am crazy to do what I do. She likes to find the silver but still thinks I am crazy to put that much effort into it.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I've told a lot of people about CRHing. Two have tried it and quit after getting a skunk box. Some show a genuine interest,but for whatever reason don't try it out. Those that have known me for a long time laugh because I'm always into some hairbrained scheme :laughing7:.
My favorite people are the "Clueless Ones" that dump the silver :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH
Rich

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
I've told a lot of people about CRHing. Two have tried it and quit after getting a skunk box. Some show a genuine interest,but for whatever reason don't try it out. Those that have known me for a long time laugh because I'm always into some hairbrained scheme :laughing7:.
My favorite people are the "Clueless Ones" that dump the silver :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HH
Rich

I love the clueless folks. Last week I took a bag of half dollar to my dump bank. We checked the amount in the machine so I could exactly top it off. It had only $55.00 in it. So I asked the teller if I could look though those first. She said yes. I stuck my hand in and pulled out a bunch of walkers and franklins. Ask if I could change them out one for one before dumping. She said yes. I wound up with 26 40%, 9 64 90%, 41 franklins and 21 walkers. so 97 of the 110 coins in that bag were silver. I came home, changed my shorts and smiled all the way to the safe ;D

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only one I've told who gets it is my wife...no pun intended. Remember she is my wife.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Apush finally got it when I walked away with a few extra $$$ by just setting around and going thru coins. Now, he wants to know if I plan on doubling my orders during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Well, ... yes, with some road trips to boot. I have told a few friends, but they don't get it either, or don't want to give it the effort.

apush :read2:

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
apush said:
Mr. Apush finally got it when I walked away with a few extra $$$ by just setting around and going thru coins. Now, he wants to know if I plan on doubling my orders during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Well, ... yes, with some road trips to boot. I have told a few friends, but they don't get it either, or don't want to give it the effort.

apush :read2:

My wife finally got it because she finally asked me where I keep my stash. So I told her that I keep a small amount in the safe to satisfy would be robbers and the rest I have buried right in front of J.P.Morgans tombstone :laughing7:
HH
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread