What are you collecting long term? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    3343 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: What are you collecting long term?

i got 140 ike dollars the other day while crhing --(to check for "s" mint--nope --so i was spending them -- the kid at the local drive thru MAC D"S when he got $6 worth --had to go ask the manager if he could take them --LOL

the clerk at the local winn dixie had a deer in the headlights look to her face , when we paid for our weeks food with $134 bucks worth of em

us
    Mr. FreedomUIC to you!

Jan 2010
    NUNYA
    433 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Hartford
    I know that coin collectors are going to disagree with me because reality is a killer but old coins, and rarities will be only be worth their metal content. So if you are spending money on old coins you might as well throw it down a slot machine.
    Right now the only coins I would consider purchasing are the ones that I can't find CRhing. Like 90% Washington quarters and cheap cull (but not bent or holed) silver dollars. I may in the future buy a bunch of dimes as well as I really don't get them in sufficient numbers.
    I'd also consider trading 40's for gold. Gold coin worries me though because there has been lately whispers,little hints perhaps, of gold confiscation. A gold confiscation doesn't make sense,and will not in any way shape or form help the economy,but you never know what will happen in these strange times.
    HH
    Rich
    I am one of those people. Look at the tracking charts at some of the Morgan dollars and you will surprise yourself at what they are
    worth. With the melt coming down the road, there will be less of them and the price will rise. Gold on the other hand is starting
    to scare me a little, I am thinking of divesting the little I do have (Except The Slabbed Soverign) and sticking with silver.

Just don't know yet.
    [R.I.P. Rich Hartford - Champion CRH of All Time]

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    3343 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

when times get hard --collectibles ( like say old silver and gold coins coins )--that are over price highly above their metal content will suffer -- folks will want / take the coins in exchage BUT WILL ONLY GIVE WHAT THEIR WORTH METALS WIZE * -- like coins dealers oft say -- I am not a collector so i do not pay " coin collecter prices" -- i'm a metals dealer , so i buy scrap metal -- you are a "coin collecter "--thus you pay collector prices to "buy" better condition coins --not me i by metal by weight and purity.

us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    4747 times

Bullion metal - be it 90 % or fine -gold or silver , will always be easily traded or cashed . The
    problem with numismatic coins , is that there is way too much difference between the buy/sell
    prices , and when you need to sell you'll always be on the wrong side of those numbers.
    Argentium.

us
    Mr. FreedomUIC to you!

Jan 2010
    NUNYA
    433 times

Quote Originally Posted by Argentium

Bullion metal - be it 90 % or fine -gold or silver , will always be easily traded or cashed . The
    problem with numismatic coins , is that there is way too much difference between the buy/sell
    prices , and when you need to sell you'll always be on the wrong side of those numbers.
    Argentium.
    To some extent I do agree. I have managed to buy several items below what they were actually worth. I am not looking to
    get rid of them in the short term. I have roughly 12 - 15 years left to work and they will bring a nice return when I get
    ready to sell the entire collection. I am not holding them for the short term, they are a long term investment and several have
    already recognized huge gains.

us
    Mr. FreedomUIC to you!

Jan 2010
    NUNYA
    433 times

I am also collecting Proof sets from 1959 to 1963. By collecting I don't mean one of each. There is roughly .613 troy ounces
    of silver in each one. If silver hits as high as I believe it will, there should be a tidy profit to be had in the future.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    3343 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

my point is this --a high grade coin has say .613 of a oz of silver for say $20 --- worn coins still have the same silver content .613 of a oz but only cost say $10 * thus you can afford 2 of them -- so when the price of silver goes up -- you get twice the rise in value --since its the weight and purity that sells not the collectors value --when you sell to most coin / bullion dealers

most coin shops and dealers buy metal not "graded coins" (unless they are very rare or very mint and highly desirible)--the coin dealers make money buying " scrap metal" and selling "graded scrap metal"

us
    Mr. FreedomUIC to you!

Jan 2010
    NUNYA
    433 times

Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis
    my point is this --a high grade coin has say .613 of a oz of silver for say $20 --- worn coins still have the same silver content .613 of a oz but only cost say $10 * thus you can afford 2 of them -- so when the price of silver goes up -- you get twice the rise in value --since its the weight and purity that sells not the collectors value --when you sell to most coin / bullion dealers

most coin shops and dealers buy metal not "graded coins" (unless they are very rare or very mint and highly desirible)--the coin dealers make money buying " scrap metal" and selling "graded scrap metal"
    I can agree with that, the only issue is collecting Morgans is my passion that will have a payoff in the distant future. I collect Silver
    bullion for when the fhit hits the shan, the rest is what I enjoy doing and the thrill of assembling a complete set.

us
    Sep 2009
    2 times

I plan to sell my 40% halves some day (hoping for a silver price of $30). I will likely keep my 90% silver coins as well as coins in ms65 state or better. I like knowing that as the dollar continues to fall (as I predict it will) I have a very good hedge. If things really went crazy I could sell the coins and pay off all debt.

OWS

us
    Mr. FreedomUIC to you!

Jan 2010
    NUNYA
    433 times

Quote Originally Posted by obsessedwithsilver
    I plan to sell my 40% halves some day (hoping for a silver price of $30). I will likely keep my 90% silver coins as well as coins in ms65 state or better. I like knowing that as the dollar continues to fall (as I predict it will) I have a very good hedge. If things really went crazy I could sell the coins and pay off all debt.

OWS
    That is my plan exactly, and if silver keeps going the way it is, it might come true sooner than later.

And for anyone who says that our country is going down the crapper, I don't believe it for one second. I believe we are in a period
    of somewhat disarray and it will straighten itself out eventually. With that said, pretend you are back when silver hit $50.00 an ounce, were you saying the same thing then because the country was basically in the same state then as it is now.

If you are in a position where you have steady employement, food on the table and a roof over your head, I say take advantage of the
    situation while it lasts. All things change over time, we are just going through that change and I am hoping to come out of this
    on the positive side and not the negative.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links