Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
I know we all CRH for different reasons, but I have numerous reasons why I CRH. One of which is to locate silver to sell, but I also am trying to collect a bit for my kids. I have 3 grown children, 1 grandchild. I am attempting to put together a full roll set of each cent, nickel, and halve so I can give to my kids someday. Not the real oldies--cause they are rare, but just something to peak their interest.

My granddaughter (who is 5) went with us to last week's coin show. One gentlemen gave her a Jefferson nickel blue book with 1/2 the coins filled (including 2 War Nickles). She was hooked. She would not let go of it on the way home--she fell asleep in her carseat--the only way I could even take a look at what she got! The nice gentlemen gave it to her with no charge. She got several "goodies" along the way, including numerous foreign coins (no value), but you would have thought she had struck gold from her reaction! She would not let "grannie Apush" hold her "haul." :laughing9: She was a "big girl" and could hold her finds herself. :)

Just curious if anyone else is attempting to do the same.

PS: I am saving the Walkers & Bens--but Mr. Apush says sell them someday for a trip to Europe rather than give them to our kids! Debating on that one.

apush :read2:

Upvote 0

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my point is this --a high grade coin has say .613 of a oz of silver for say $20 --- worn coins still have the same silver content .613 of a oz but only cost say $10 * thus you can afford 2 of them -- so when the price of silver goes up -- you get twice the rise in value --since its the weight and purity that sells not the collectors value --when you sell to most coin / bullion dealers

most coin shops and dealers buy metal not "graded coins" (unless they are very rare or very mint and highly desirible)--the coin dealers make money buying " scrap metal" and selling "graded scrap metal" ;D :icon_thumright:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
my point is this --a high grade coin has say .613 of a oz of silver for say $20 --- worn coins still have the same silver content .613 of a oz but only cost say $10 * thus you can afford 2 of them -- so when the price of silver goes up -- you get twice the rise in value --since its the weight and purity that sells not the collectors value --when you sell to most coin / bullion dealers

most coin shops and dealers buy metal not "graded coins" (unless they are very rare or very mint and highly desirible)--the coin dealers make money buying " scrap metal" and selling "graded scrap metal" ;D :icon_thumright:

I can agree with that, the only issue is collecting Morgans is my passion that will have a payoff in the distant future. I collect Silver
bullion for when the fhit hits the shan, the rest is what I enjoy doing and the thrill of assembling a complete set. :thumbsup:

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
I plan to sell my 40% halves some day (hoping for a silver price of $30). I will likely keep my 90% silver coins as well as coins in ms65 state or better. I like knowing that as the dollar continues to fall (as I predict it will) I have a very good hedge. If things really went crazy I could sell the coins and pay off all debt.

OWS

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
obsessedwithsilver said:
I plan to sell my 40% halves some day (hoping for a silver price of $30). I will likely keep my 90% silver coins as well as coins in ms65 state or better. I like knowing that as the dollar continues to fall (as I predict it will) I have a very good hedge. If things really went crazy I could sell the coins and pay off all debt.

OWS

That is my plan exactly, and if silver keeps going the way it is, it might come true sooner than later.

And for anyone who says that our country is going down the crapper, I don't believe it for one second. I believe we are in a period
of somewhat disarray and it will straighten itself out eventually. With that said, pretend you are back when silver hit $50.00 an ounce, were you saying the same thing then because the country was basically in the same state then as it is now.

If you are in a position where you have steady employement, food on the table and a roof over your head, I say take advantage of the
situation while it lasts. All things change over time, we are just going through that change and I am hoping to come out of this
on the positive side and not the negative.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread