Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
I know we all CRH for different reasons, but I have numerous reasons why I CRH. One of which is to locate silver to sell, but I also am trying to collect a bit for my kids. I have 3 grown children, 1 grandchild. I am attempting to put together a full roll set of each cent, nickel, and halve so I can give to my kids someday. Not the real oldies--cause they are rare, but just something to peak their interest.

My granddaughter (who is 5) went with us to last week's coin show. One gentlemen gave her a Jefferson nickel blue book with 1/2 the coins filled (including 2 War Nickles). She was hooked. She would not let go of it on the way home--she fell asleep in her carseat--the only way I could even take a look at what she got! The nice gentlemen gave it to her with no charge. She got several "goodies" along the way, including numerous foreign coins (no value), but you would have thought she had struck gold from her reaction! She would not let "grannie Apush" hold her "haul." :laughing9: She was a "big girl" and could hold her finds herself. :)

Just curious if anyone else is attempting to do the same.

PS: I am saving the Walkers & Bens--but Mr. Apush says sell them someday for a trip to Europe rather than give them to our kids! Debating on that one.

apush :read2:

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"What are you collecting long term?"

Weight.

Sorry. :laughing9:

I save a lot of older cents and nickels that I'll give away with folders to kids, try to get them involved in a sort of hobby. If they show a genuine and somewhat prolonged interest I'll send some silver their way also. The rest is simply for profit.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is Mr. Apush. :laughing9:

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect a lot of things long term, foreign, and U.S. Not sure if I'll ever sell my actual collection, I guess I qould if I had to. I'll sell from my silver stash eventually.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I know that coin collectors are going to disagree with me because reality is a killer but old coins, and rarities will be only be worth their metal content. So if you are spending money on old coins you might as well throw it down a slot machine.
Right now the only coins I would consider purchasing are the ones that I can't find CRhing. Like 90% Washington quarters and cheap cull (but not bent or holed) silver dollars. I may in the future buy a bunch of dimes as well as I really don't get them in sufficient numbers.
I'd also consider trading 40's for gold. Gold coin worries me though because there has been lately whispers,little hints perhaps, of gold confiscation. A gold confiscation doesn't make sense,and will not in any way shape or form help the economy,but you never know what will happen in these strange times.
HH
Rich

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am collecting PM for an investment and wealth protection because I truly believe it will be the best investment possible both in the short term and in the long term. I am also trying to fill my sets but call me cheap I will not spend more than melt value for coins to fill my sets and frequently visit garage sales, flea markets, etc. to find coins for cheap (not to mention CRH). You would be surprised the quality coins you can buy for melt value or less from people who don't keep up with their coin pricing or don't know what they have. Here is an example: on Sunday I went to a flea market and purchased a bunch of silver quarters for 3-4 dollars each and a bunch of WL halves for 8 dollars each (all under melt). Most of the the quarters and halves were VF20-EF40 but I paid G4 prices. :laughing7:

I love the hunt!!!

$ilver$urfer

kalebdad

Sep 24, 2010
I collect anything that I can leave for my two boys that they may appreciate when they get older. Proofs, Silver, Coin Sets, Knives (Like the one Pictured below) with pictures scrimshawed in ivory , guns, and lots of Ammo.

Attachments

• IMG_3708_2.jpg
    IMG_3708_2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_3712.jpg
    IMG_3712.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 406

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope Nope Nope, I cannot foresee myself selling anything ever unless extreme financial distress. I hate seeing nice bens, walkers, and even 40's getting melted. I intend to pass these along to whatever family I may have, just like my great grandparents and my parents. And that day is about 70 years from now, so who knows, maybe they'll be worth more than melt

HH
-GC

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
This came up in another thread, but I'm trying to build a Morgan year set with conditions... all PCGS slabs, 3 coins from each mint mark, one regular MS63, one with the PL designation, and one with the DMPL designation. Challenging myself to do the whole thing for under $2k, excepting years 1892-1895, of course. Once I get the full set built, I'll add a single proof. David Lawrence has a nice one right now for $3k, but that's way, way beyond my budget, haha.

If I get bored of the Morgans, I'll probably go for a MS65FBL Franklin set.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I coin roll hunt for the fun of it. I have been trying to complete a Jefferson Nickle collection for about two years. I need 5 more to complete it. I had a friend say why don't you just buy them? It is more fun to find them in the wild. I have dabbled with halves just loose from the tellers and have done OK with them. They would be for resale. I did just make the plunged and ordered a 1 box of halves. I am hoping for beginners luck.

ps I check this site out daily and really enjoy all your posts.

gordon

chow

Feb 25, 2010
MIDWEST
I collect as much silver as I can hoard and afford, and ammo/guns as long as they are still legal...

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kalebdad, that is one cool knife. Love the handle.

I am building a year 1800 - 2010 type set for my kids. There are so many types of coins that are obsolete that are part of our history that people never see. I know I have never held a two cent, three cent silver, half cent, half dime, or early silver dollar before I started this project. It can be expensive to build but I figure they will appreciate it later in life. I would also like to do the gold types but they might be getting past my price point.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
" DUST BUNNIES"! and dirty corroded Zincoln's....heck, even zinc has got to go up.........some day :laughing7:........NGE

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WRINKLES,

GRAY HAIR,

MEMORIES.

But not in any certain order!

Bob

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i got 140 ike dollars the other day while crhing --(to check for "s" mint--nope --so i was spending them -- the kid at the local drive thru MAC D"S when he got $6 worth --had to go ask the manager if he could take them --LOL

the clerk at the local winn dixie had a deer in the headlights look to her face , when we paid for our weeks food with $134 bucks worth of em

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
I know that coin collectors are going to disagree with me because reality is a killer but old coins, and rarities will be only be worth their metal content. So if you are spending money on old coins you might as well throw it down a slot machine.
Right now the only coins I would consider purchasing are the ones that I can't find CRhing. Like 90% Washington quarters and cheap cull (but not bent or holed) silver dollars. I may in the future buy a bunch of dimes as well as I really don't get them in sufficient numbers.
I'd also consider trading 40's for gold. Gold coin worries me though because there has been lately whispers,little hints perhaps, of gold confiscation. A gold confiscation doesn't make sense,and will not in any way shape or form help the economy,but you never know what will happen in these strange times.
HH
Rich

I am one of those people. Look at the tracking charts at some of the Morgan dollars and you will surprise yourself at what they are
worth. With the melt coming down the road, there will be less of them and the price will rise. Gold on the other hand is starting
to scare me a little, I am thinking of divesting the little I do have (Except The Slabbed Soverign) and sticking with silver.

Just don't know yet.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
when times get hard --collectibles ( like say old silver and gold coins coins )--that are over price highly above their metal content will suffer -- folks will want / take the coins in exchage BUT WILL ONLY GIVE WHAT THEIR WORTH METALS WIZE * -- like coins dealers oft say -- I am not a collector so i do not pay " coin collecter prices" -- i'm a metals dealer , so i buy scrap metal -- you are a "coin collecter "--thus you pay collector prices to "buy" better condition coins --not me i by metal by weight and purity.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bullion metal - be it 90 % or fine -gold or silver , will always be easily traded or cashed . The
problem with numismatic coins , is that there is way too much difference between the buy/sell
prices , and when you need to sell you'll always be on the wrong side of those numbers.
Argentium.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium said:
Bullion metal - be it 90 % or fine -gold or silver , will always be easily traded or cashed . The
problem with numismatic coins , is that there is way too much difference between the buy/sell
prices , and when you need to sell you'll always be on the wrong side of those numbers.
Argentium.

To some extent I do agree. I have managed to buy several items below what they were actually worth. I am not looking to
get rid of them in the short term. I have roughly 12 - 15 years left to work and they will bring a nice return when I get
ready to sell the entire collection. I am not holding them for the short term, they are a long term investment and several have
already recognized huge gains.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread