Ike Caramba!!!

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Fellow CRHs,

Went on my second road trip on Friday and it was certainly not as successful as my first (http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,353294.0.html). I went on a different route this time and drove about an hour east to the small country towns so I could hit up a few rural banks. No luck in the beginning of the day, as I received lots of big fat "NO" answers when asking for halves and Big Dollars. As I drove closer to the city I started getting customer rolls and loose halves but they were all cladtastic. Once I got into the city I was told at three separate banks someone came in just a little while ago and took what we had -- looks like I was chasing someone all morning!!! :( I stopped at one bank and they a few customer clad rolls and $17 dollars in Ikes - no silver, but a nice little score if you ask me because I have only found 3 in the wild in the past 3-4 months of CRHing and asking tellers.

My wife texted me and asked how I was doing and I said not too good so far but she assured me my luck would turn up. She was right. Went and met a guy selling [5] 40% rolls on craigslist - $60 a roll and it was close to home - he said he had a lot more junk silver and would call me soon. Nice to pay about 90% of melt and not have to pay for shipping, insurance, taxes, etc. like on feebay or from a coindealer. Like I have said earlier I buy PMs on a regular basis and if I can get it at a good price and below melt I am happy. I have a good feeling that Ag will not drop in price or settle for a while.

At any rate, I was happy to finally have some silver in my hand, and was off to pick up my last box of the week. This bank has been giving me the small square boxes for the past 2 months and they have not produced any silver whatsoever [aka zero, zilch, nada] so this week I dropped my order from 2 boxes to 1. WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only did this box produce, it was a really good score containing [2] '64 enders and [1] 40% ender. Total silver for the box was [5] '64s and [8] 40%ers!!! A very good box for me as I have been averaging about 3 silvers per box overall through my CRH escapades. I immediately called the head teller and asked her to bump my order back up to two boxes a week and she was happy to do so - she already ordered me one box for next week so two boxes will not start until after this week. I really hope I can start pulling some similar numbers from these boxes in the future.

I opened this box in my car while parked in a parking lot of course and was super happy so I decided to hit up three more banks on the way home - this was a great idea!!! The first bank I stopped at after opening my box is where one of the tellers promised to save me halves and big dollars and would call me when she saved up a few. She ended up having 5 loose halves - 3 of which were 40%ers!!! She said she was saving them for me and was going to call me when she got a few more I had just beat her to the punch - really thinking about buying her a gift card - what do you all think?

The next bank was even better, I walk up to a teller and ask for halves and big dollars. She hollers over to another teller and says, "Hey, do you still have those halves and Ikes that were dropped off earlier today?" "Yes, come on over here." SCORE!!! :hello2:

She had 2 customer rolls and $4 in loose halves - I noticed one white one in the mix - certainly a 90%er from the look at it from a foot away and she said she had rolled the others herself. Got really excited and visions of sugarplums started dancing in my head. She also had $14 in Ikes and I took all of them with the halves. Went out to the car and tore open the two rolls and was happy to find another 90%er in there - was hoping to score a few more white ones but I am very happy nonetheless that I was scoring silver towards the end of the day. And where are all of these Ikes coming from??? :tongue3:

Went to the final bank of the day and asked my usual question, they didn't have any but said they get halves in all the time and big dollars occasionally. I sweet talked one of the young tellers a bit and she ended up writing down my name and number and promised to save and call me if she ever gets in any halves, big dollars and weird dollar bills (Silver certificates, $2, etc.) That makes it four banks that have promised to call me when they get in the goods!!! :headbang:

Not as good as my first road trip but with the last box of the week producing big for me and the late day silver scores and all the Ikes I found I was very happy. :icon_sunny:

[31] Ikes
[2] '64s
[3] 40%ers

To add to my Ike madness, I stopped in a local branch on Saturday morning after a quick stop in the grocery store and found $20 more in Ikes!!!!!!!!!!! $51 in Ikes in 24 hours -- where in the world are all of these Ikes coming from??? My theory is that people are struggling a bit financially and are turning in all of their old coins for us CRHs to find...most of them being silver ones of course!!! Ike Carumba!!! :laughing7:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A gift certificate would be nice, but I'd give something that all of the tellers can enjoy. That way, you'll hopefully get them all on your side. That's why I bring chocolates.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a good road trip. I think I'm going to try a longer road trip this week sometime. I normally just go around my town, but I haven't really hit the small towns around yet. I always get ikes too. Banks hardly ever have big dollars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions