I feel so cheap busting boxes of pennies

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
WARNING: I'm about to break a rule of the CRH secret society. If you have no idea what searching a roll of pennies means or what is a copper penny, stop reading now. This will protect teh CRH's and leave more pennies for me to find. THanks :coffee2:

Here you guys are searching thousands of dollars in silver halfs, quarters, and dimes, and here I am, doing maybe one or two $25 boxes of pennies by hand, every couple of weeks.

However, a penny saved is a penny earned. Even the small guys, can win too, so don't give up. I got my first coin hunt Indian Head Cent from a roll I asked for from the grocery store.

I tend to average 1 wheat penny every 5 or so bankrolled wraps.

The copper pennies I do find I put into a sack and use to weigh down the 4 legs on my tent.

FOr $25, a box of pennies is a hellova way to invest in the future. It bothers me the government and private investors are removing coppers at mass rates.
Also, I search by hand, always.
Which reminds me, I've started getting boxes of pure uncirculated 2010 zincolns... I knew copper was going fast, but... wow..

SO much for the little guy!

NEver give up! ( because I actually got a real silver half dollar the bank, just last week)

Edit: THis is my first post on the CRH forum. so thanks for all the posters here who post stories for me to read.
-fires_eye

PS- "two cents"

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Where did you hear that the government is pulling copper pennies? I haven't heard that part.

OP
OP
FiresEye

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
SFBayArea said:
Where did you hear that the government is pulling copper pennies? I haven't heard that part.

Ever since I was a kid, I've had psychic intution...But, Clearly, is does not take the paranormal to tell you the reason the goverment is dumping mass tons of new zinc pennies into circulation, at the same time banning the collection of the metal by "the little guy".

So, I didn't actually "hear it" I saw a giant sorter machine dumping millions of dollars of pennies into a giant melter at some secret govt remelt. They probably recycle the coppers to pay for the new copper coating on the zinc, etc.

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Uhh, I call bullsh!t.

It isn't worth the governments money to reclaim copper pennies at 2x face... not at a 1 cent profit per.

I am, however, an advocate of pulling all the copper pennies you find. It's certainly worth my time to go through pennies and pull them out as long as I'm pulling at least ~25% copper... and right now I'm pulling about 33% copper.

I don't have nothing compared to some people, only about 50 lbs... but that's all hand sorted, no Ryedale here, I'm broke.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously doubt they are pulling copper. After all, there is silver still out there they aren't pulling. Oh yeah, the U.S. doesn't make pennies. That would be Great Britain. We have cents.
HH
enamel7

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
enamel7 said:
I seriously doubt they are pulling copper. After all, there is silver still out there they aren't pulling. Oh yeah, the U.S. doesn't make pennies. That would be Great Britain. We have cents.
HH
enamel7

It does say "pennies" on all the boxes I get from the bank. The government would not be pulling copper.. it's not worth it. It costs them 1.7 cents to produce a zincoln anyhow. The price of copper went up to $3.80/lb but no one is buying them at a significant premium :( Only about 30-50% profit on Ebay. After all the sorting, rolling, weigh lifting, & time spent on listing on Ebay.. not really worth it. I just want local dealers to start buying them again at double face. Hopefully, if it's $4.00/lb people will buy them at double face value.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
FiresEye said:
SFBayArea said:

Ever since I was a kid, I've had psychic intution...But, Clearly, is does not take the paranormal to tell you the reason the goverment is dumping mass tons of new zinc pennies into circulation, at the same time banning the collection of the metal by "the little guy".

So, I didn't actually "hear it" I saw a giant sorter machine dumping millions of dollars of pennies into a giant melter at some secret govt remelt. They probably recycle the coppers to pay for the new copper coating on the zinc, etc.

The USMint does not fabricate cent planchets. They are supplied by a private supplier.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is, i've noticed the amount of pre 82's in "penny" cent (whatever you want to call them, who cares really?) boxes has been going way down since I started searching 5-6 years ago. Why? Could be a number of reasons. One reason could be the same reason you don't find as many silvers in other boxes on coinage as you used to. Pickers, CRH'ers, whatever you want to call us, are slowly depleting the circulating stock. It goes back to the basic principle of supply and demand. Also, the longer it's been since something was produced for circulation, the less of them you are going to see, it's only natural. Personally I have over 4 - .50 caliber ammo boxes full of pre '82's and a couple thousand wheaties in a glass water bottle, not to mention a few rolls of indians. There is a lot of us out here collecting/saving (hoarding some may call it) coins.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I believe canada is pulling silvers from circulation.

I also sort pennies by hand. nothing like the feel of money in my greedy grubby hands.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
diggummup said:
All I can say is, i've noticed the amount of pre 82's in "penny" cent (whatever you want to call them, who cares really?)

Not to sound aloof, but I find it insulting that so many rely on the use of "penny". It is an insult to our Founding Fathers who fought for our independence from Britain. Perhaps, if they weren't successful in their endeavors, then we would be using a "penny". As it is, we won our independence and as such had to develop our own nation's coinage instead of relying on other nation's coinage for our commerce. We have a cent. In addition, many say they are in this hobby because they enjoy coin collecting. Yet, no numismatist would ever call our cents pennies. It may be an old habit, but a habit that is worth breaking in my opinion. Ask, search, collect, and hoard cents. Forget pennies.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
diggummup said:
All I can say is, i've noticed the amount of pre 82's in "penny" cent (whatever you want to call them, who cares really?) boxes has been going way down since I started searching 5-6 years ago. Why? Could be a number of reasons. One reason could be the same reason you don't find as many silvers in other boxes on coinage as you used to. Pickers, CRH'ers, whatever you want to call us, are slowly depleting the circulating stock. It goes back to the basic principle of supply and demand. Also, the longer it's been since something was produced for circulation, the less of them you are going to see, it's only natural. Personally I have over 4 - .50 caliber ammo boxes full of pre '82's and a couple thousand wheaties in a glass water bottle, not to mention a few rolls of indians. There is a lot of us out here collecting/saving (hoarding some may call it) coins.

It's true. The ratios are gong down. But hey, I've pulled almost 500,000 in copper pennies. And I AM one of the small guys. there are sites on the web where they are selling that many in a month! They are getting ouled, so the ratios are going down. PLus, whe you add another BILLION for 2010 into the mix, that means more zincolns in the total ratio too. take both sides of the equation changing, and that is why it is so much less. It will become less and less over time, just like silver quarters and dimes have.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FiresEye said:
SFBayArea said:

You saw this? Physically? Or with your eyes?

There is no ban on the little guy nor is the Government trying to recall the copper cents. There is a law banning the melting of them though.

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
FiresEye said:
<snip> Ever since I was a kid, I've had psychic intution...</snip>
<snip>So, I didn't actually "hear it" I saw a giant sorter machine...</snip>
I took this to mean a psychic vision of sorts.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
diggummup said:
All I can say is, i've noticed the amount of pre 82's in "penny" cent (whatever you want to call them, who cares really?)

Not to sound aloof, but I find it insulting that so many rely on the use of "penny". It is an insult to our Founding Fathers who fought for our independence from Britain. Perhaps, if they weren't successful in their endeavors, then we would be using a "penny". As it is, we won our independence and as such had to develop our own nation's coinage instead of relying on other nation's coinage for our commerce. We have a cent. In addition, many say they are in this hobby because they enjoy coin collecting. Yet, no numismatist would ever call our cents pennies. It may be an old habit, but a habit that is worth breaking in my opinion. Ask, search, collect, and hoard cents. Forget pennies.

Although "cent" may have originally been the correct term, language is based upon common usage and in common usage today "penny" and "cent" are interchangeable. Here are the first three definitions for "penny" @ dictionary.com:

 /ˈpɛni/ Show Spelled
[pen-ee] Show IPA
noun, plural pen·nies, ( especially collectively for 2, 3 ) pence, adjective
–noun
1. a bronze coin, the 100th part of the dollars of various nations, as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States; one cent.
2. Also called new penny. a bronze coin and monetary unit of the United Kingdom and various other nations, the 100th part of a pound. Abbreviation: p
3. a former bronze coin and monetary unit of the United Kingdom and various other nations, the 12th part of a shilling: use phased out in 1971. Abbreviation: d.

Should everyone start calling a "cent" something else like, for example, a "zincoln" would you believe that is wrong as well? The purpose of language is to allow the listener to know exactly what the speaker is referring to with a clear definition. I don't think anyone in the U.S. talking about a "Penny" ever thinks the speaker is talking about British coinage unless the context of the sentence makes them. Therefore, the definition is clear and validly used. No issue.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silver spoon said:
I agree with fire eyes it seems to be in here everybody thinks the new guy doesn't know anything i beg the differ there seems to be the attitude that the new guy doesnt know bull crap about coins give fire eyes a break and listen to them the new people might just know more than the veterans just some advice people!!

Ok new guy.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
diggummup said:

Not to sound supercilious, but you know what they say about opinions too.....right. icon_violin.gif

Cent or penny....it's a moot point. icon_flamethrow.gif

Attachments

• icon_violin.gif
    icon_violin.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 267
  • icon_flamethrow.gif
    icon_flamethrow.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 270
OP
OP
FiresEye

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Ltrain said:
Uhh, I call bullsh!t.

It isn't worth the governments money to reclaim copper pennies at 2x face... not at a 1 cent profit per.

I am, however, an advocate of pulling all the copper pennies you find. It's certainly worth my time to go through pennies and pull them out as long as I'm pulling at least ~25% copper... and right now I'm pulling about 33% copper.

I don't have nothing compared to some people, only about 50 lbs... but that's all hand sorted, no Ryedale here, I'm broke.

Yeah you sound like me, never ahead, but not behind. I don't owe anyone money, except my own consciousness. And in that concern, my time is worth way more than that stack of heavy metal.

About the government in America... I should not have mentioned that which I do not know.. so yeah.. I call that bull too.

OP
OP
FiresEye

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
enamel7 said:
HH
enamel7

Very nice... Yeah, all they have to do is not loan China the money we owe them in pure copper. Clearly it's not about the metal, but the history.
Anyone who melts a pure copper penny is just plain retarded, because the value lies in the face! Also, I can forage hundreds of pennies worth of thrown away copper out of any average dump... so, like.. What's all the fuss about! :coffee2:

OP
OP
FiresEye

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
diggummup said:

of course there are lot's of "us" but don't put one guy with the next cause we're all so different. I personally feel like the metal I'm saving will at least make it into the generation of the distant future. Like, the molecular structure of copper being so rare and so able with new technology to generate more energy than other less stable elements through the molecular process, which is why it's very ironic GOLD was the first metal used by homo sapiens, and ten thousand years later is now prominent in very distant technological applications.

OP
OP
FiresEye

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Diver_Down said:
diggummup said:

If the brits have pennies and the states have cents, why do the frogs say " here's my two cents"... is this some sort of hidden war saying about the coins placed over eyes, or perhaps, just, that I have two.. cents that is.. I don't care if they arepennies or not :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread