1000 in halves, no silver

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Well, I finally got skunked from the fed. Bought $1000 and no silver coins. I did get a couple of interesting finds though.

1) A 1915 one penny forign coin from ??? ( Anyone know where it's from?).
2) A 1990 with the back side missing.
3) A 1998 that seems to be missing the left side. I don't think its from wear.
4) A 2004-P

Attachments

• alien 1.jpg
    alien 1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 135
  • alien 1 001.jpg
    alien 1 001.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 1990 blank.jpg
    1990 blank.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 1990 blank 001.jpg
    1990 blank 001.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 137
  • missing print.jpg
    missing print.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 0

benthecoinguy

Jul 9, 2005
well Goldinmypan that Big Penny you found is from Great Brittain and that one half looks weekly struck. As for that Blank reverse I dont know what to say for sure about it being real or not, due too the fact that the copper core is exposed and not plated, but you never know.

OP
OP
goldinmypan

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Thanks for the info. I just looked thru some of the other forign coins from previous rolls and found another british penny this one from 1962 and since it has Elizabeth II on it it was easer to recognize as British.

A couple of other coins I found were Mexician UN PESO. Smaller then the halves in the rolls I found them in. Do you know what they are made of?? Silver looking and about 8.8 grams each which makes them 3.5 grams lighter then our silver halves.

benthecoinguy

Jul 9, 2005
I would have to know the dates on those pesos to be able to tell you about the metal composition or a pic would do the trick also. Glad to help! If you have any questions on Canadian coins i would be glad to help you out with those.
HH benthecoinguy!

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few similar to yours. The weakly struck ones were struck thru grease or some foreign buildup, causing the dies to not contact like they should. I have two 1990's where virtually all of the lettering on the obverse rim is non existant. Also, I have found one similar to yours with the missing reverse. It is due to a novelty coin (ex: two headed or two tailed coin) created by a company or someone being bored and it come apart, it is one of the halves of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread