Big Bens at the Bank- first timer

MtnBluBrd

Oct 12, 2010
ID - UT - TX
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hey all! Im new here and just jumpin in. I started coin roll hunting this summer and had some slow goin and slim pickins but recently had some good fortune when I asked for half dollars at a small town bank I stopped by. The teller girl said she had some in the back and brought out about $20 worth. I could see a few silvers in her hands and the one on top was a good ol Benjamin Franklin! My first one! She said there was a couple hundred dollars worth of halves in a bag in the back but I would have to have an account. Hmm… so I got one and bought the rest of them.
Pulled out:

15 40%
7 1964's
17 Ben Franklins!
Plus 6 for my collection album, 2 NIFCs, a few foreign coins- (Panama, Canada, & Italy), a 71 that looks like it was worn for a long time as a necklace, and a 78 that the front and back rotation is way off - when flipped the eagle is standing on the tip of his wing (any ideas on that one?).

It was a fun find!

Upvote 0

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man ole Man I tell ya I thought I was the only one with the beginners luck. Great find, not good GREAT! My first box had a 42 wl and 6 Bennies as well as 22 90% and 40 or so 40%. I was a dancin in the street !

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like your first time.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding scores!!! Welcome to the insanity or CRH!!! :laughing7:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Awesome beginners luck... where there is some, there's bound to be more. Hit up a whole bunch of banks!

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
midnight run said:
The eagle being turned could be a die rotation error. They can be quite valuable.
Only if tremendously offset. I'm not sure what the general acceptable variance is considered to be for Bens, but I believe it's about 10% for most moderns before it's considered an "Error"

OP
OP
MtnBluBrd

MtnBluBrd

Oct 12, 2010
ID - UT - TX
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Thanks everybody.
midnight run said:
The eagle being turned could be a die rotation error. They can be quite valuable.
Hey midnight run- I like the sound of that! :)
Here is a picture of the 78 that the rotation is off. I took the obverse pic then flipped it directly over and took the pic of the eagle...

Attachments

• heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 352
  • Tails.jpg
    Tails.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 354

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MtnBluBrd said:
Thanks everybody.
midnight run said:
Hey midnight run- I like the sound of that! :)
Here is a picture of the 78 that the rotation is off. I took the obverse pic then flipped it directly over and took the pic of the eagle...

Thats a good one!

OP
OP
MtnBluBrd

MtnBluBrd

Oct 12, 2010
ID - UT - TX
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Ltrain said:
AGCoinHunter said:
Thats a good one!

Really good one, actually. 90% rotation is impressive.

Ya. Maybe too impressive...

packerbacker said:
The 78 could be a "majic" or "trick" coin. Try dropping it on its edge and see if it comes apart.

I really think you are right packerbacker. It looks so real but when I do drop it it sounds strange...

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MtnBluBrd said:
Ltrain said:
AGCoinHunter said:
Thats a good one!

Really good one, actually. 90% rotation is impressive.

Ya. Maybe too impressive...

packerbacker said:
The 78 could be a "majic" or "trick" coin. Try dropping it on its edge and see if it comes apart.

I really think you are right packerbacker. It looks so real but when I do drop it it sounds strange...

Ah the magic half. You can see the machined lines around the edge. I would bet thats what this is. If it sounds hollow...it is.

OP
OP
MtnBluBrd

MtnBluBrd

Oct 12, 2010
ID - UT - TX
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Okay yep got it! It looked so real but I just got it to bust apart and its a mexican coin on the inside.
I guess its more fun than just a regular half dollar anyway - my husband is practicing up on the trick now :laughing7: . That would have probably cost more than 50cents at a trick shop so ill think of it as a good deal!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figured it was a "magic" coin. They will usually have a Mexican coin or British penny in them. Congrats although a real one with that much rotation would be more valuable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread