Pulled the Plug Today

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
This morning at I get a call from American Eagle Federal Credit Union,my main dump bank,where I've been dumping problem free,for the past 13 months.
The call was from some character,calling himself,"The VP". So he asks me do I know how much money I've put through the coin counter? I tell him I could probably figure it out if I had a calculator handy,but since you sound like you already know go ahead and tell me? He lays out the figure and I say "so what".
I'm a customer and I pay, for that privledge by letting you hold on to my savings account, all $62.00.
Now he gets all huffy and puffy and attempts to be intimidating at long distance with someone who has mastered that art and can write a book on it.
He says that all of the bank managers are suspicious of my activities. That his risk management team has been checking me out,because I may be involved in some scheme to defraud the bank.
He alludes that I'm involved in some type of money laundering scheme. I supress a laugh, I supress calling him every name in the book. I'm trying to gage how serious this guy is,if he's pulling a con job,or is nutty enough to believe that I'm some sort of terrorist that he is compelled to report to the authorities. I also have 4k in halves that I have to dump today because Monday is welfare check day.
If he is being serious I don't want to get in the crosshairs of some modern day law enforcement agency whose employees wear ballistic underpants,hands shake with the DT's, and use tazers because they don't have the guts to put their hands on the bad guys(and old ladies). Could be a dangerous and expensive proposition.
So as much as I wanted to be honest with him and call him a DH,I held my tongue,maybe dropping a few barbs that he will catch on to later,and told him, look I have to drop off 4k in halves today, so let me do that and I'll take my laundry elsewhere for now on. He agreed and I dumped the 4k.
There was no way that I could have negotiated,conned,or give a sob story that would have convinced him to allow me to keep dumping, and to tell you the truth I really did not want too.
Now I do have reserve banks,just in case I need them in an emergency,but found out just last night that someone else is using them to dump,and they are already giving him a hard time.
So I closed out the account at my dump bank and my main supply bank,and will hopefully complete closing my bank accounts by next week.
So that's it. Endgame.
I'm not particularly pissed as I've had a good run for the past 23 months. I had fun and now it's over. In fact I'm a bit relieved as the hobby was starting to feel like a job where the thrill is gone.
I will be here on T-Net reading about the great finds. They were always the best part of the hobby as there is nothing to dump :laughing7:
HH
Rich

Upvote 0

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• silver_live.jpg
    silver_live.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 724
OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Hi Ho Silver! said:
I feel bad for you because i like your posts. But I don't really get why and how you had to do so many boxes anyway each week. As my post about rationing boxes states this was going to happen to all of those who abuse the "system" as far as the bank sees it. To tell the truth I wonder what took the banks so long to clamp down on CRH overdoers. JMO

Hi Ho
Now that I'm done with CRHing I'll let you in on a little secret,but you have to keep it to yourself.
Shhhhh! The reason that I do more than one or two boxes at a time is because the more you do,the more that you will recover. Let me give you an example. John and Fred are 2 very capable fishermen. John goes fishing once a year. Fred on the otherhand goes every day of the season. Guess who will catch more fish,John or Fred?
That's probably a tough one. Let me give you an easier one.
There is a dog named Spot.
#1. See Spot ! See Spot run. Run, run, run.
#2. See Spot! See Spot run.
In which example did Spot run further and get MORE exercise?
Do you get it? I think you do,but lets keep it quiet.
HH
Rich

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich,
It has been good times!
We'll look forward to the coach popping in on us from time to time.
Best wishes and we'll be looking forward to hearing how things are going. :coffee2:
Steve

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Rich. Your obviously kidding..... Right?

Hi Ho ?? Really You don't understand or can't appreciate it. Since I cut down to 2 boxes a week from 10-15 boxes a week I'm finding much less than before....... I would venture to say tha if I returned to 14 boxes a week I might find 7 times as much silver than I do when only searching 2 boxes a week? What do you think?

Packerbacker.
Very convincing argument. lol....

Mojo

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Rich,

You are still the man! I don't believe you will quit entirely -- it's an addiction.... Best wishes and thanks for all the encouraging posts!

MauserMan

Jun 7, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
BH Tiv
Sorry to hear that Rich, you've made some impressive and inspiring finds. I bet you'll get the urge to do a little from time to time though. :) Or maybe start collecting Morgans...

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich -
"You can checkout any time you like, But you can will never leave!" :laughing9:

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Everybody knows the tellers cherry pick. They don't like the competition and complained to the VP.

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Silver Stripe said:
BTW "Can't win if you don't play", had to throw that out there. HH Mark

I'm happy with what I got. The rest is up to others to find :thumbsup:
HH
Rich

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's a crummy phone call to get. It's sad to hear that you won't be hunting anymore, but you did have an awesome run there. I too feel like hunting is becoming more like a job, I didn't go out at all this week. I've been cutting back, but I don't think I will call it quits yet, but I don't know how much longer I'll be in the hunt either.

Rojas108

Nov 6, 2008
All that they can do is file a SAR on you.(Suspicious Activity Report). Which will pretty much mean that they look into your account activity and since your doing nothing illegal like laundering money they can't do anything to you. They get mad because most banks ship the money out and cost them money per bag to ship. Those costs goes as expense for their profits and losses. So if they are in the red the managers get an earful from the district manager.(Some banks use these numbers for their bonuses) Good luck on your mding!! I just got started roll hunting and just seem to find silvers in the TDbank machines reject trays!!

Ju8vP3t

Sound familiar, I had an account closed out from under me....after some Hag in the branch kept asking questions, a real scum she is, and I'd only dump may a (k) or 2; 3 times a month for about 7-8 months, had the account at that bank for about 8 years...

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Rich Hartford said:
Hi Ho Silver! said:
I feel bad for you because i like your posts. But I don't really get why and how you had to do so many boxes anyway each week. As my post about rationing boxes states this was going to happen to all of those who abuse the "system" as far as the bank sees it. To tell the truth I wonder what took the banks so long to clamp down on CRH overdoers. JMO

Hi Ho
Now that I'm done with CRHing I'll let you in on a little secret,but you have to keep it to yourself.
Shhhhh! The reason that I do more than one or two boxes at a time is because the more you do,the more that you will recover. Let me give you an example. John and Fred are 2 very capable fishermen. John goes fishing once a year. Fred on the otherhand goes every day of the season. Guess who will catch more fish,John or Fred?
HH
Rich

Good try Rich but I think you may have to dumb it down alittle Lol :coffee2:

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
ugotit22 said:
Rich Hartford said:
Hi Ho Silver! said:

Hi Ho
HH
Rich

Good try Rich but I think you may have to dumb it down alittle Lol :coffee2:
Keith,
I tried to make it simple because I don't the age of the person asking the box question. Could be he is young enough to have been in the "Head Start" or "No child left behind" program (wonder who won that race?) where 18 year old 8th graders have to be able to read a Dick & Jane book, and do math on their fingers before they are passed on to high school.Not an easy task when half the class is barking and drooling. :laughing7:
HH
Rich

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
Good luck to you Rich. Your common sense and cheery attitude will be missed. I wonder what your new treasure hunt will be?

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
50centman said:
Good luck to you Rich. Your common sense and cheery attitude will be missed. I wonder what your new treasure hunt will be?

Myself and Ugotit are going on an MDing expedition to a place that no knows about.
HH
Rich

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Rich....your killin me man.....pretty soon all the old heads will be gone. :-[ gonna miss ya buddy. hopefully you'll take a long break and decide to give it another shot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread