Box Codes

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

All of my flat boxes come with one of two codes stamped on the bottom of them. When I get the four digit code I get excited because those boxes always produce but when I get the three digit code I frown because those boxes always stink. Maybe it is just my luck but in about two months of keeping track of these codes I have not found any silver in boxes with the three digit code but like I said I have found silver in boxes with the four digit code. I have also noticed that the boxes with the four digit code have plenty of paper wrapping in the rolls and the boxes with the three digit code have barely enough wrapping to keep them together. Your thoughts and insights would be appreciated!!! :help:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Upvote 0

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
$ilver$urfer said:
Hello All,

All of my flat boxes come with one of two codes stamped on the bottom of them. When I get the four digit code I get excited because those boxes always produce but when I get the three digit code I frown because those boxes always stink. Maybe it is just my luck but in about two months of keeping track of these codes I have not found any silver in boxes with the three digit code but like I said I have found silver in boxes with the four digit code. I have also noticed that the boxes with the four digit code have plenty of paper wrapping in the rolls and the boxes with the three digit code have barely enough wrapping to keep them together. Your thoughts and insights would be appreciated!!! :help:

HH,

Four digit = older boxes
Three digit = newer boxes

That would be my bet. If I see a date stamped on a box of halves, that usually means it's gonna be a good box...

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010
You should start asking the bank to only order boxes with 4 digit codes now :laughing7:

I haven't done enough boxes yet to really matter, but out of 3 boxes so far, all had 4 digit codes, and all had silver in them. Each box was a different number though. I think it all comes down to whether or not any silver was dumped when that particular code was being used. If a collection was dumped and boxed, then most boxes with that code will produce well. If little silver was boxed that day, then most boxes with that code will be skunks. Just my guess.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
It's just pot luck as far as the date stamps,digit codes,and boxes that are unstamped. All can be great boxes,or just plain old skunks.
HH
Rich

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
listen to Rich, the weathered vet!

When I started they used to be dated, i.e. APR 17, 2008, etc. All of those boxes had higher yields than the current boxes. Current boxes I get have 4 digits on them, usually 5320 or 5020...which I wonder what that means, or have nothing. These are flat boxes.

For brinks boxes, they used to be in 5x5x2 stacks, i.e. 25 on top of 25. Then they shifted to a bigger box and staggered the rolls and stamped them with the location, for me it was INDY. Then they stopped doing that all together. Brinks boxes for me are less consistent but have the opportunity for the highest yields.

Again, like Rich said, it is pot lock and silver can be in any one at any time with any amount. This is what I've found in my own experience.

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of your insights folks - it makes me feel better that you vets believe I may score silver with the three digit coded boxes someday but my streak of skunks with three digits continued today with two more! :'( My other question is why the shorter wrappers in the three digit coded boxes than the four digit coded boxes. Maybe they are newer and are saving money on rolling paper now?

HH,

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You weathered vets were right!!! :icon_thumleft: My first flat box this week had the same three digit code I have had terrible luck with for a few weeks now but then I remembered what you said and bingo!!! ;D

[1] 1954 Ben
[6] 40%ers
[1] 1987P in mint condition

This is a great box for me as I have been averaging just over 3 silvers per box since beginning CRHing!!!

Thanks for helping to keep me optimistic with your veteran advice!!!

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Codes mean nothing.
I have picked up boxes with 2008 date stamps and found 2009 coins in them.
Back to the future?

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have got a few with X stamped on the inside, has been skunks for me :icon_scratch:
HH..Miner

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
TX Tim...you really had 2008 boxes with 2009 coins in them? That is fricking awesome. Show me your ways of time travel. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXTim said:
Codes mean nothing.
I have picked up boxes with 2008 date stamps and found 2009 coins in them.
Back to the future?

I got 2010 halves from boxes with stamped date of 2008. The tellers working at those facilities are paid at minimum wage! They don't care if the date is accurate or not.

undergrounddrew

Jan 16, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Technetics G2 Fisher F75 Black, Minelab 3030,Minelab X-Terra 705 and more!!!
Another "kicking the awesome science" / I get to learn something for free post! Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread