Presidential $1 Coin Starts Jan 1, 2007!

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Presidential $1 Coin Starts Jan 1, 2007, and you think the bank tellers get annoyed by coin roll searchers now.....

I was reading some of the provisions in the act to issue the new Presidential $1 coins for the years 2007-20016, and this is probably the most stupid part: The Sacagawea dollar will continued to be issued all the years .the Presidential coins are issued. Not only will Sacs be issued, but the act requires:
"the Secretary annually shall mint and issue such 'Sacagawea-design' $1 coins for circulation in quantities of no less than 1/3 of the total $1 coins minted and issued under this subsection."

So the geniuses in Congress decide the "incredibly popular" Sacagawea dollar will be 1/3 of all the 2007 (and other years) $1 dollar coins issued, and the remaining 2/3 will be split between the FOUR Presidential designs. They will mint TWICE as many Sacs as each of the Presidents. Hope there is space in the vault next to the Susan Bs to store those unwanted Sacs.

Cool thing will be the placement of date, motto's and mint marks. They will be edge-incused into the coin, printed into the rim!.

Now, if they could just make the Presidential $1 coins the same size as Peace and Morgan dollars, think how fun future Roll Hunting could become!

linky thing: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Presi...2005#Sec._102._Presidential_.241_Coin_Program.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Know I won't Collect them.

They need something other then Presidents on them
to get my intrest.

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
The presidents are neat...

But are getting a bit old.

-CC

P.S. I love looking at old postings...

kalpinro

May 25, 2006
JJ,

I read the link thanks for the info. Guatemala does that rim thing with some of their coins too. Also, you catch the info on the 2009 Penny? Looks like they will do changes on that too! Sounds cool.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Does anyone besides me think that it's time they used something other than the Presidents? Like Shania Twain, or Eva Longoria? (heads, or tails? ;D)..............All jokes aside, I really do thing they need to try something different. It would be cool if the brought an old design back, like the Walking liberty halves, Mercs. A smaller size Morgan dollar would be cool.

Paul

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Perhaps there is a concern that if they made them too interesting too many people would collect them... which could actually result in reduced spending.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
nhbenz said:
Perhaps there is a concern that if they made them too interesting too many people would collect them... which could actually result in reduced spending.

Uhmmmmmmm, no. The mint counts on people to hoard coins. Back in the days of silver and gold, this was a problem because the coins were approximately worth their denomonation in that metal. When people hoarded them, it actually took real money out of circulation. Nowadays, it cost like a dime to mint a dollar coin (i'm sure i'm not exact on that) so when the mint makes 30 bizilliion of them and people hoard a third of them, I guess they come out pretty good on that deal don't they? As for spending, do you spend less because of coin collecting? I know I don't.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread