The Ultimate Skunk - No Wheats in box

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Has this happened to anyone? I'm working on a $25 cent box where there are no wheats so far but does have coppers. I have about $12 left on it & $5 of the box is all 2010-D rolls. So $20 of the $25 is regular circulated cents but no wheats. I know people have gotten a box of pure uncirculated cents of one year but what about a skunk box of regular circulated cents? I thought it was impossible to get a skunk cent box but now I realize this could be reality. THis is the ultimate skunk?

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Last year, I got a skunked on Cents. It was a circulated box. No Wheats, No Foreign, and not a single copper. Every single cent was a zincoln. I didn't think it was possible, and thought to myself, "What kind of freak pulls every copper out of a box?" Then, I realized that I am that freak.

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
you guys must be lucky, ive been skunked on them 5-6 times and ive only done about 50 boxes of them. it happens

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
You are just exceptionally unlucky.
I haven't been skunked yet (well with a box of circulated ones). I think the fewest I have found is around two or three in a box.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
This last week was a terrible week for me.. I got skunked in halves.. dimes.. & box of cents. >:(
Weeks like this make one not want to engage in this hobby anymore.

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010
I fell your pain bud! I did my first box of cents last weekend and almost got wheat skunked. All I got was 2, 1940-s and a 1952. They were in the last 5 dollar in the box so I thought I would get skunked for sure.it was about 70% copper to! I thought i would end up finding 20 like most people on here! I live in the bay area myself, so i guess its comon in this area.

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010
SFBayArea said:
This last week was a terrible week for me.. I got skunked in halves.. dimes.. & box of cents. >:(
Weeks like this make one not want to engage in this hobby anymore.

Some weeks are just plain bad... but you have to keep going! I think you are due for a dream box or 2 soon :icon_sunny:

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My streak of being skunked on cent boxes was 6, all of them was dunbar boxes :icon_scratch:
HH..Miner

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
festiva_ford said:
I fell your pain bud! I did my first box of cents last weekend and almost got wheat skunked. All I got was 2, 1940-s and a 1952. They were in the last 5 dollar in the box so I thought I would get skunked for sure.it was about 70% copper to! I thought i would end up finding 20 like most people on here! I live in the bay area myself, so i guess its comon in this area.

Yeah, that box did end up being a skunk for wheats which is a first time for me. On the lighter note, I started this week's cent box and got two wheats (1945 & 1952-D) from the first 10 rolls. This box was a Brinks box with clear plastic. The skunk cent box was CWI (Harris & String) paper roll box which around here traditionally has been weaker than Brinks boxes in my opinion. Try the Brinks clear wrap box, those might be better. One day, copper will disappear from circulation too like Ag has.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread