Trying My Luck at Dimes (nothing exciting... yet)

usatc

Nov 28, 2008
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So while my orders for halves are floating around at the banks I thought I'd pick up two boxes of dimes today while dropping off some skunks. Picked up two boxes and refilled my wrapper stock a bit. Was disappointed though that the dimes are in paper rather than plastic rolls (more to do during my next online class project meeting). While I know you are all waiting with baited breath on my results (tune in tomorrow!), do some banks offer dimes rolled in clear plastic?

Thanks, and HH!

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
usatc said:
So while my orders for halves are floating around at the banks I thought I'd pick up two boxes of dimes today while dropping off some skunks. Picked up two boxes and refilled my wrapper stock a bit. Was disappointed though that the dimes are in paper rather than plastic rolls (more to do during my next online class project meeting). While I know you are all waiting with baited breath on my results (tune in tomorrow!), do some banks offer dimes rolled in clear plastic?

Thanks, and HH!
May be different in your locale, but those clear-wrapped dimes stink - phooey!!!
In my three years of searching, plastic rolls have produced 1 thin dime, I really get ticked when I accidently get some in a dime box order. That's been my experience, hope you fare better!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Clear-wrapped dimes are available from Brinks. In my area, they aren't great, but they are consistent.

I've posted my dime box before on this forum. They were all gotten from clear-wrapped rolls. By the way, for those that have seen the photo before, I have another tube (glass cigar tube) of Rosies and half another of Mercs. The box isn't big enough to hold them all. I have no idea of how many dimes that I have total, they just go in the glass and are forgotten.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Brinks in my area use clear plastic wraps. Clear wraps are way easy to search & quite common around here. I would never do paper rolled dimes. They're not great here. I probably average 1.3 per $500 box. Earlier this week, I got a box and got a 1950-S & 1963 from a $500 box and I was happy with it. No one likes skunks. Good Luck.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Another bit of advice.. The clear rolls of dimes are often short in the rolls meaning I get rolls that are often missing a dime in a roll. I advice getting a pocket digital scale & find the range that is appropriate for a correct roll. I break open the box at the bank & weigh each roll. If they are off, I return them to the teller there & exchange for a correct one. The reason I do this is that I don't want dump banks complaining or have funds deducted from my account when dump banks send them off to be counted.

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
SFBayArea said:
Another bit of advice.. The clear rolls of dimes are often short in the rolls meaning I get rolls that are often missing a dime in a roll. I advice getting a pocket digital scale & find the range that is appropriate for a correct roll. I break open the box at the bank & weigh each roll. If they are off, I return them to the teller there & exchange for a correct one. The reason I do this is that I don't want dump banks complaining or have funds deducted from my account when dump banks send them off to be counted.

Very cool, but seems a little extreme. Then again, extreme is what is needed to survive and thrive in today's world.
Keep on blazing that trail and leaing advice for those that will follow. Because they will, and it will be like a storm.
And I don't mean like WW2.. I mean like WW3... so as I can see, you are getting ready. Kudos! :icon_sunny:

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
Like I've said before, my dump bank just takes my $250 for what it is. Sure I replace whatever I find in silver with clad, but I never count or weigh my rolls :dontknow:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Rakattack said:
Like I've said before, my dump bank just takes my $250 for what it is. Sure I replace whatever I find in silver with clad, but I never count or weigh my rolls :dontknow:

Well, yeah.. I use many different banks.. whether BofA or Wells Fargo.. $250 boxes sounds like you go to Wells Fargo. BofA uses a $500 box but they are both in clear wraps. I have dumped at a BofA in Santa Clara last week where they sent them off to be counted & noted my account number. Obviously I prefer them to be given out to other customers or merchants. Other BofA's don't care. I was glad that I weighed all the rolls and replaced the bad ones. I don't want my reputation ruined by the crap short rolls that Brinks rip me off by. Usually the boxes are short. Occasionally you get rolls with extra dimes but they're usually offset by rolls that are short. I don't go often to dump in San Jose or pick up there. Although I have dumped in Milpitas, San Jose (Brokaw), & Los Gatos before but that's when I have to go somewhere towards those areas. I am in the mid-peninsula so to speak. So we are not really in eachother's territory however the banks here pretty much get their money from the same facilities. If you dump in different areas, keep this in mind since some banks do send them off to the facilities to be counted anyhow despite them still in the clear wrap (these bank employees are stupid I know & maybe they have too many dime boxes on hand). I'm actually not happy with the silver price going up so much.. more competition less Ag. I ordered a box of halves from a local Wells Fargo a couple weeks ago and when I got there, they gave my order away to someone else ( I can't believe it). There's too much competition out there right now. It reflects this in the skunky boxes I get. I'm starting to concentrate on doing cents right now since it's next in line and hasn't been tapped too much. Coppers are still easy to find and easy to order. With 40-50% over face on Ebay, one can use the profits to buy all the Ag that we can't find in the boxes right now. Just my two cents worth.

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Well damn dude! That's a good observation, but don't get the steam train rollin on copper without the cost. For one, I can spend about an hour hardcore hand searching a box of $25 but for ever cent that is worth 3 cents or more, it takes 100 of them just to make around $3.50 in copper. Of which you can't melt or sell for what it's really worth.

Penny hunters need to see the LONG term investment, perhaps using thier own supply to build wire for home use, ETC.
When one can buy a roll of half dollars and get a 90% worth $10, it would take countless hours of dirty dusty work just to bust that much copper.

Also, I need to research the health effects of pennies, because all those people touch them and that dirty sticky money etc has got to carry some sort of dusty stuff in it. Plus the copper oxide etc. ALways CRH in well ventillated areas :icon_sunny:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
BofA orders $250 boxes of dimes here. I have never seen a $500 box, and they are always paper-rolled. I've never had a bank deduct for shorted amounts, ever. I never count my coins wether halves or dimes. Was just turning over the bags to the bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread