Half-Hound Found: 1872 Trade Dollar *** UPDATE ***

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
November 10, 2010
(U.S. Marine Corps Birthday)

Update on Trade Dollar Pattern Coin: It is counterfeit.

I spoke with a buyer from a reputable coin dealer who within seconds of seeing an online .jpg image of the coin made her decision. She said the coin probably is silver, and could have been made yesterday or 100 years ago. The conversation was OVER!

The coin is still an interesting piece to me, if to no one else. Thanks everyone for sharing my story.

Half-Hound (199 Silver Halves, 12 Silver Dimes, 1 Silver Quarter... and 1 FAKE 1872 Trade Dollar!)

************************************************************************************************************

November 5th, 2010
Los Angeles, California

I don’t have much to say here – and I wouldn’t blame anyone for not believing it!

I called a bank close to my bus/train route home. I was told they had $100 in halves. When I got there I found out they had $170 worth. Of course I wanted them all. I had no cash – not a single dollar. I needed to withdraw funds from my savings account to buy the coins.

I mentioned to the young teller (Jackie) that collecting coins is my hobby. She then told me she had two old coins, and asked me if I wanted them, too. She pulled these two dollar coins (see the photographs) from her drawer. I had to pay for them with four clad halves that she had just given me.

The oldest silver dollar is an 1872 Trade Dollar, I have never seen a coin like this before.

The take:

1872 Trade Dollar
1924 S Peace Dollar
1939 S Mercury Dime
1951 S Franklin Half
1964 D Kennedy Halves (2)
1966 Kennedy Halves (3)
1967 Kennedy Halves (2)

And that’s the way it was.

Half-Hound
1.jpg

Attachments

• LITE Trade Dollar Obverse.jpg
    LITE Trade Dollar Obverse.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,664
  • LITE Trade Dollar Reverse.jpg
    LITE Trade Dollar Reverse.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,318
  • LITE Dollar Pair Obverse.jpg
    LITE Dollar Pair Obverse.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,885
  • LITE Dollar Pair Reverse.jpg
    LITE Dollar Pair Reverse.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,562
Upvote 0

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Half-Hound Found: 1872 Trade Dollar

Wow!! That is awesome!!! 40-50k? Just a guess.....make sure you buy that teller something nice....like cash!!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

Congrats :notworthy: make sure you get that coin checked out, if that thing is genuine it could be the biggest find in CRHing history, a double eagle would be worth less than a genuine pattern.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009

cdickrun64 said:
Wow!! That is awesome!!! 40-50k? Just a guess.....make sure you buy that teller something nice....like cash!!

wow are you serious?

amazing find... cookies for everyone on you then...

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HOLY COW!

Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Looks like a once in a lifetime find!

Bob

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010

That's a find of a life time. Keep us posted on what it is.
rileyboy

festiva_ford

Oct 22, 2010

What an astonishing find!! :o This took my breath away!!!! If it's real it will probably be the best find on this site forever!!! So if it's real would you plan on selling it or keeping it? I know there's a chance the trade dollar is fake but did they ever make fakes of the peace dollar? I know they made fake morgans in china :icon_scratch:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jackpot!! :icon_thumleft:

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

WOW!! that's a amazing finds,have it checked out by a coin dealer you trust.Keep us posted

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA

Sorry Half Hound, there were only 10-12 of these made all issued in sets to the mint officials around the time they were deciding on what the Trade Dollar will look like. I believe all the known ones are already certified by PCGS and NGC. So, I'm almost 100% sure that yours is fake. Nice haul other than that though!

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010

WOW!!!!! Incredible find!! :hello2:

I wouldn't get too excited yet though, there are TONS of fake trade dollar coins floating around. Get it certified, and if it is real... CELEBRATE! ;D

Even if it is fake, that is still a rare find. And you also got a Peace Dollar and a bunch of silver halves... great score all around :thumbsup:

~Syrys

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOWSERZ (I hope it is real)!!! :o

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA

ArkhamHouse said:
Rakattack said:
Sorry Half Hound, there were only 10-12 of these made all issued in sets to the mint officials around the time they were deciding on what the Trade Dollar will look like. I believe all the known ones are already certified by PCGS and NGC. So, I'm almost 100% sure that yours is fake. Nice haul other than that though!

I think it could be real. The Chinese fakes are a recent phenomena; I have not seen an example of a Chinese counterfeit pattern. Some patterns were given to mint officials, others to collectors. I do not think it is necessarily true that no undiscovered patterns remain.

Half-Hound, Heritage or a reputable coin dealer should be able to help you determine if this is authentic. Does it seem to be 90% silver? If so, that would be a strong positive. These patterns were made in aluminum and copper as well, but you would recognize that. Also, could we have some better pictures of the coin?

-Arkham House

Sorry sir, but the Chinese will counterfeit anything ranging from a 1958D Wheatie to an 1804 Dollar. Yes, there are probably more counterfeit patterns than there are real ones on the market on any given day.

90% silver doesn't mean it's real. Counterfeiters coin 90% fakes to make them more convincing.

Chinese counterfeits are NOT a recent "phenomena". They've been making fakes of coins like Trade Dollars since the time they were circulating. So, they've had more than 120 years of experience faking coins.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am certainly not an expert by any means but it does appear to have wear on it so it has been circulated, and or weakly struck. Also noticed the smaller 7 in the date, and not aligned with the other numbers. :dontknow:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ArkhamHouse said:
Myself and others have advised Half-Hound to have it examined by a competent professional numismatist. I did not say it was real, I said I thought it could be real. It is true that the Chinese were counterfeiting the trade dollar when it was current. They are also counterfeiting it now. However, this is not a Trade Dollar, it is either a genuine or counterfeit pattern. I have not seen an example of a counterfeit US pattern. The modern Chinese fakes are typically base metal, not silver.

-Arkham House

I Agree, it does not look like a Base Metal Fake.

However Send it to a professional Service.

Don't trust a Local dealer either.
The Odds of it being real are so Slim IMO
most dealers will take for Granted it's fake.

A Grading service Will tell you the truth.

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky

I sure hope it's authentic! That would be really incredible.
Regardless, nice score.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread