Todays Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    us
    Oct 2008
    Florida
    410
    19 times

    Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    My pick up bank was out of boxes today so I asked if they had filled the half bag yet. they usually only fill it once a year. The downside was that it was $21 short but yielded the following:

    3 Franklins
    9 90%ers
    22 40% ers
    1919 British penny
    Coin from the UAE
    1 1975 Peso
    a 1930's good luck token with swastikas
    1 token for free round of golf from Pirate Cove in Kissimmee

    AND THIS............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1846.JPG 
Views:	632 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	470507  
    "Find Silver my Friends"

  2. #2
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    10,790
    2719 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    Wow! Of all places for a Largie to show up, and an early one at that.....congrats!
    “They’ll go over like a Led balloon.”

  3. #3
    us
    Sep 2010
    1,148
    19 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    Nice scores and awesome variety!!!

    HH,

    $ilver$urfer

  4. #4
    us
    Dec 2006
    1,875
    33 times

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    So, I guess you've gotten over the bag being $21 short ? 8)

    Kudos, on the nice score !
    "You can't win if you don't play"

    "Behind every dark cloud is a silver lining"

    "If you're prone to motion sickness, this "roller coaster" hobby may not be for you "

  5. #5
    us
    Aug 2009
    ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
    2,074
    18 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    Nice large cent. Dont know if its worth $21 but always nice to add to a collection.
    There is no silver left around here...

  6. #6
    us
    Oct 2008
    Florida
    410
    19 times

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    Quote Originally Posted by AGCoinHunter
    Nice large cent. Dont know if its worth $21 but always nice to add to a collection.
    The silver more than made up for the shortage.
    "Find Silver my Friends"

  7. #7
    us
    Oct 2010
    272

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    That's a neat find! Since I've gotten so many tokens and other crap in my half bags, I started wondering what the chances are of finding a good old non-half coin. Glad to know its possible!

  8. #8
    us
    Nov 2009
    Adirondack Park NY
    159
    1 times

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    Very interesting find. Gets the collector in me going!

  9. #9
    us
    Mar 2009
    Kentucky
    814
    3 times

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    Nice finds! What is the date on the large cent? The picture is a bit blurry.

  10. #10
    us
    Aug 2010
    LeFlore County Oklahoma
    Whites XLT
    334
    15 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    believe itor not but i got a 1866 large cent from my box of halfs just 3 weeks ago it is about the same size of a half dollar and someone online said it could be worth about 70 dollars thats better than 50 cents huh now i am looking for another

  11. #11
    us
    Mar 2009
    Kentucky
    814
    3 times

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    Well, the year looks like 1816 to me. If so, the coin should be a Coronet type cent instead of a braided hair type cent.

    Quote Originally Posted by suprdave
    believe itor not but i got a 1866 large cent from my box of halfs just 3 weeks ago it is about the same size of a half dollar and someone online said it could be worth about 70 dollars thats better than 50 cents huh now i am looking for another
    1866? Unless you are referring to a non-American coin, there is a problem. Large cents were last made in the US in 1857.


  12. #12
    us
    Nov 2008
    4,291
    2 times

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    2011 Finds
    6x War Nickels
    1x Buffalo Nickel
    1x Mercury Dimes
    66x Roosevelt Dimes
    2x Canadian Dimes
    0x Washington Quarters
    15x WLH
    12x Franklin
    46x 1964 Kennedy
    161 x 40% Kennedy

  13. #13
    us
    Oct 2008
    Florida
    410
    19 times

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    Quote Originally Posted by FingerGrime
    Well, the year looks like 1816 to me. If so, the coin should be a Coronet type cent instead of a braided hair type cent.

    Quote Originally Posted by suprdave
    believe itor not but i got a 1866 large cent from my box of halfs just 3 weeks ago it is about the same size of a half dollar and someone online said it could be worth about 70 dollars thats better than 50 cents huh now i am looking for another
    1866? Unless you are referring to a non-American coin, there is a problem. Large cents were last made in the US in 1857.


    Sorry for the pic it's an 1846. Large Cents were last made in 1857
    "Find Silver my Friends"

  14. #14
    us
    Oct 2010
    137

    Re: Today's Bag of Halves yield oldest coin yet.......Not what you think!

    worth the 21 bucks!

 

 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0