Strap yourself in.

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009
It's only 6:30 a.m. here on the east coast and the Asian Market has already driven silver up to $28.35. I have been enjoying the recent changes in silver price and calculating how much my "hedge against inflation" has grown in value.

We may be in for a wild ride.

In the meantime I have continued to get moderate to good scores here and there. I hope to add 10 more ounces of silver to my CRH hoard by the end of the year.

I hope you all do the same or better.

OWS

Upvote 0

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
mts said:
Reading this forum you'd think that we should all be hunkered down in bunkers with shot guns pointed at the front door. I personally will live my life with the understanding that things could certainly be better.

Yeah, hunkered down with silver samuri swords, golden chalices, and shotguns loaded to the brim with silver shot.. Because by the time your hoard is gonna be worth anything, the aliens, pirates, mayans and zombies will have already invaded earth and started the global takeover of resrouces... so you're gonna need those silver stars.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this article this weekend and though about this thread...

Secret Walmart Survey Shows Inflation Already Here

Link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/40135092

"There might not have been a second round of quantitative easing, if Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke shopped at Walmart.

A new pricing survey of products sold at the world’s largest retailer showed a 0.6 percent price increase in just the last two months, according to MKM Partners. At that rate, prices would be close to four percent higher a year from now, double the Fed’s mandate.

The “inaugural price survey shows a small, but meaningful increase on an 86-item grocery basket,” said Patrick McKeever, MKM Partners analyst, in a note. Most of the items McKeever chose to track were every day items like food and detergent and made by national brands."

Thats right...inflation is here and now. Once again, inflation (CPI) is a lagging indicator.

"Prices of cotton, silver, wheat, soybeans, corn are all up big this year. Cotton futures are up the most, climbing 90 percent so far in 2010. The price of silver is up 63 percent."

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wally world has increased the price of the "Powerade Zero" that I drink from 78 cents to 88 cents in the last couple weeks. Inflation is here. I'm pretty sure a couple months ago, I got a loaf of whole wheat bread for under $1...... Not anymore......

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
legend76 said:
fistfulladirt said:
Please don't shop at Walmart.

FFD,
Where do you shop?
Believe it or not, I don't. My wife does. Don't think that I place myself on some high pedestal, I just like to support the small, local merchants.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
legend76 said:
fistfulladirt said:

FFD,
Where do you shop?
Believe it or not, I don't. My wife does. Don't think that I place myself on some high pedestal, I just like to support the small, local merchants.
I believe you. It's a shame we got all the cheap crap from China or Cheap labor from South of th border. A lot of Americans are too lazy, though. Welfare and foodstamps are abused.. (at the expense of my tax dollars). man, I sound just like my dad used to.

Back on topic, coinflation has : Silver $26.04/oz down 1.64

HH to all,
Legend

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
FiresEye said:
From what I've seen, the dollar menu at fastfoods has been pretty solid over the last few years, if nothing else gotten better...
I mean, for a buck I've been able to get a double cheeseburger for three years.
As long as the double cheeseburger holds, so will the enonomy.

THe minute my double cheeseburger goes up, Im moving to Canada ... it's the sign of the end.
Once the dollar menu fails, so does the U>S>A! :headbang:

I'd like a one buck oh.. F... where did my dollar go!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
fistfulladirt said:

FFD,

I like your postings but I have to say I don't get this. Walmart employs many Americans and provides many goods to Americans at reasonable prices. I go there a few times a month and most of the stuff I buy there is not made in China. They have groceries and toiletries, etc.

Why should I pay more for the same items at a mom and pop store? Do they deserve to have their income subsidized by me so they can have the privilege of owning their own company? In business you have to be competitive. If you cannot beat their price, beat their service or give them reason to shop at your store.

I actually like Sam's better than Walmart, but both are great in my opinion.

Jim

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Like 80% of the workers at my Walmart are foreign imigrants, and some of them barely speak english, now tell me why I am paying to have them work in America out of MY paycheck while they get the job that I was going for because they will accept rice and beans less than me.

Not to offend anyone...

Also, as long as the double cheeseburget holds at $1, I'm not worried about the economy.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
FiresEye said:
Like 80% of the workers at my Walmart are foreign imigrants, and some of them barely speak english, now tell me why I am paying to have them work in America out of MY paycheck while they get the job that I was going for because they will accept rice and beans less than me.

Not to offend anyone...

Also, as long as the double cheeseburget holds at $1, I'm not worried about the economy.

If they took your job, how can they take money out of your paycheck?

Jim

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
I had to get another job, which put me at a disadvantage, and the reason I am paying out of my paycheck is because that tax money goes to nationalizing foreign citizens and teaching them the pledge of allegiance and stuff like English which they will hope to forget.
By the time I go looking for a job, I'm getting interviewed by a once illegal immigrant.... >:(

Ok, so like I didn't get a job interview from an illegal before, but I bet it's happened.
Just like they took 33% beef out of the double cheeseburger but it's still a $1.. the govt. can just print more patties to make up for the lass.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
jim4silver said:
fistfulladirt said:

FFD,

I like your postings but I have to say I don't get this. Walmart employs many Americans and provides many goods to Americans at reasonable prices. I go there a few times a month and most of the stuff I buy there is not made in China. They have groceries and toiletries, etc.

Why should I pay more for the same items at a mom and pop store? Do they deserve to have their income subsidized by me so they can have the privilege of owning their own company? In business you have to be competitive. If you cannot beat their price, beat their service or give them reason to shop at your store.

Jim
Jim, what fries my behind is that when a Walmart moves into an area, similar jobs that pay better wages are eliminated. Studies show that Walmart's national wage is below poverty level. I understand competition and retail business is cut throat when it comes to profits, but these stores set the trend for poor wages and virtually zero benefits. That, and the fact that I have a brother that works retail for a smaller store. ffd

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
fistfulladirt said:
jim4silver said:
fistfulladirt said:

FFD,

Jim
Jim, what fries my behind is that when a Walmart moves into an area, similar jobs that pay better wages are eliminated. Studies show that Walmart's national wage is below poverty level. I understand competition and retail business is cut throat when it comes to profits, but these stores set the trend for poor wages and virtually zero benefits. That, and the fact that I have a brother that works retail for a smaller store. ffd

That's true, fine, and dandy, but.
The train is already rolling it, there can be no turning back. Just like all these people getting hooked onto CRH.
Ok, bad comparison, but Walmart ain't going away, and with unemployment so high of COURSE people will take low pay. Because poverty in AMerica sure as heck beats the middle class on some other countries.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
FiresEye said:
fistfulladirt said:
jim4silver said:
fistfulladirt said:

FFD,

Jim

The train is already rolling it, there can be no turning back. Just like all these people getting hooked onto CRH.
Ok, bad comparison, but Walmart ain't going away, and with unemployment so high of COURSE people will take low pay. Because poverty in AMerica sure as heck beats the middle class on some other countries.

Unfortunately for the last 50+ years in our country people have been raised to be good employees instead of entrepreneurs. It is taught in our schools and society in general (nothing against educators, I have a friend who is a principal and he agreed with me about this). Just like the notion of getting a college degree-which for many is a waste because they get out in huge debt and wind up working in low paying jobs completely unrelated to their "degree", many of which are useless in the real world.

Instead of all the unemployed looking for "jobs", a certain percentage of them who are skilled in a particular area could start their own service type business and do well, such as painting, lawn care, electrician, plumbing, etc. Best to start out working for someone else, take good notes and see how things are properly done, then go out on your own. Yes it is a gamble but so is working for a company that lays you off so you stay dependent on others forever.

If we had more entrepreneurs and less "employees" I think our economy would be stronger IMO.

Jim

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
jim4silver said:
FiresEye said:
fistfulladirt said:
jim4silver said:
fistfulladirt said:

FFD,

Jim

Unfortunately for the last 50+ years in our country people have been raised to be good employees instead of entrepreneurs. It is taught in our schools and society in general (nothing against educators, I have a friend who is a principal and he agreed with me about this). Just like the notion of getting a college degree-which for many is a waste because they get out in huge debt and wind up working in low paying jobs completely unrelated to their "degree", many of which are useless in the real world.

Instead of all the unemployed looking for "jobs", a certain percentage of them who are skilled in a particular area could start their own service type business and do well, such as painting, lawn care, electrician, plumbing, etc. Best to start out working for someone else, take good notes and see how things are properly done, then go out on your own. Yes it is a gamble but so is working for a company that lays you off so you stay dependent on others forever.

If we had more entrepreneurs and less "employees" I think our economy would be stronger IMO.

Jim

Pretty true, perhaps that's what the shift of conciousness that's taking place in 2012 will be revolved around, on more of a personal level each individual waking up to themselves the world around them, and quit walking around like zombies punching the cubicle clock.
I mean I for one told myself I'd never get there, however I have a AS degree and am going for my BS, just because I want to experience school and get a piece of paper that says I'm smart.
So yeah, it's about skills, however, along the way you can't negate a good education.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, good luck finding a job you describe when there are 12-20 million illegals sitting around willing to work for pay under the table. No taxes, no unemployment, no workers comp, nothing.... just straight money under the table. Funny how I never see a lawn being mowed, a house being painted or a house being constructed by someone who is a citizen. Yeah the boss man is but the people doing the work are not.

Jim I do agree with you about our education system. We are trained to chase after a piece of paper of which is worthless to many. In my time in our education penal system I was never taught or encouraged to go build a business from the ground up. I attribute that training to my parents. That is where it starts. Many people I know that have gone out and built something come from families that are also entrepreneurs.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
This is one heck of an interesting thread. In the week since it was started silver has dropped 3 bucks an ounce,and all the other metals are dropping as well.
Is the paper dollar getting stronger?
I have to reply to some of these posts so standby.
HH
Rich

I don't think it is possible to attribute the rise or fall of silver to any given thing. The price of silver seems to follow the direction of stocks... except when it doesn't. The price of silver tends to run opposite to the strength of the dollar... except when it doesn't.

I think silver will sit above $20 for a while. I wouldn't be surprised to see it fall back down around that range in the short term.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread