40% Halves

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to trade in some 40%'ers yesterday and I was look at like I had a VD. The fellow behind the counter asked the owner if
he was taking them????????? I thought WTF, silver is silver. After a pregnant pause the manager behind the counter said
that he would take them at melt - 25 cents this time. He will not buy anymore 40% from anyone..... :icon_scratch:

This is not the first time it has happened, I have had several people "Lowball" the 40% I had for sale. Had to say "No Thanks" and moved on. One of the "Lowballers" is the shoppe where I spend alot of time and money in.

What is wrong with 40% halves? Oh yea, the guy was not going to take Ike's either...... :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
40% halves are the rotten stepchild of silver coin. Costs more to refine the silver, they just are not as desireable as 90%. Full rolls do seem to move pretty good on that popular auction site.

Saabman

Aug 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
F75
Have you tried ARA or someplace like that. They seem to have no trouble with the 40%.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
If I ever get enough 40% to make it worthwhile I'll definitely trade up to 90% or better. Looks like ebay works well for rolls of 40%, haven't looked into ARA yet.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
.25 in back of melt is very very good. That is less than 1%. The problem with 40% is just what you found out. It takes a while to find a buyer at an acceptable price locally.

HH,
65GT350

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
blacoint said:
i was getting 3.50 just last week, when silver bolted to 29. I unloaded ALL of mine...and now you see why. You guys that give me a hard time! Sorry to see you get handled on that one. I'd hold onto them if you can't get the proper amount to make a good swap/buy. Like I've always said, 40% is pretty much nonsense...If you find a dealer that'll take them, and at a good price, get too it.

Blacoint,

He still got over 4.00 per coin based on yesterday's NY Close of 27.68 (27.68-.25*.1475 = $4.05). I don't think we we are giving you a hard time. I just looked at your transactions differently. You justified your selling of 40% at a lower price because you were able to find 90% at below melt. The person paying you 3.50 per coin when spot was 29.00 was in effect buying at -$5.28 in back of spot.

HH,
65GT350

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Hang onto them for a while. Silver will go back up. Then look for coin shows in your area. Dealers from all over the U.S. come to coin shows and buy rolls of them for good prices. They then bring them home and sell them. Depends on your area.
Hang tight!
rileyboy

astrocity

Greenie
Apr 20, 2009
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
I was having the same problem with the local stores where I spend, going low on the offers to buy. I did sell today at a coin show (Fort Myers FL) 100.00 face 40% for spot -7%. The best offer came from a Tampa dealer of mostly bullion and not collectible coins.
I wish that silver was higher when I sold but it did give me some money for the coin show :)
Spot -.25 per coin is a pretty good store price in this area for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread