1968 Half Dollar with copper edge (PICS ADDED!!)

Iheartmoney

Apr 4, 2010
Today I stopped at my savings account bank and withdrew $250 so I could open an account with TD bank so I will not have to pay a 6% fee to use their penny arcade. I asked for half dollars as well before I left. She pulled out 10 of them and I gave her $5. As soon as I got them I checked the edges. NOTHING. Upon later inspection... I read the dates. 1 of them was a 1968. Hmm. I thought all silver halves had silver edges (meaning you didn't see the copper ring). I did the drop test and I am pretty sure it's silver. It has a different luster then the other copper ones. It looks uncirculated and looks real. Is this an error or am I wrong? I'll try to add a picture. Pictures added!!

Attachments

• rsz_1img_3190.jpg
    rsz_1img_3190.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,763
  • rsz_img_3197.jpg
    rsz_img_3197.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,144
  • rsz_img_3191.jpg
    rsz_img_3191.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,946
Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1968 Half Dollar with copper edge

Most of the time a 40% will have a silver looking rim. Occasionally you run across one that looks 100% clad. That is why its always best to also look at the dates or use the "sound-test" method when searching halves. Every now and then a 40%er will try to slip by you. :)

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009

a good uncirculated one will look different... now you know what else to search for when rim searching...
bah now less 40% will be find as people catch on :(

did you know also black or dark rims tend to be silver too?

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

I've found them with a copper edge, which could have been missed. Still they were a different lighter copper than a clad.
Post a pic if you can.
HH
Rich

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Thanks for the photo. I'd have caught that one edge searching.Aided with my +4.00 reading glasses that I use exclusively for edge searching.
HH
Rich

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I see a lot that look like that. I rim search then drop the roll from one hand to the other and listen too. What I find amazing is the clarity of your rim pic. That is REALLY good clarity.

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
Not sure what causes it, but I see them frequently. There are a bunch of "edge hunters" in the area, and I find there copper edged 40%-ers frequently.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten quite a few 40% with the copper rim, I almost always date search unless I'm doing boxes. They are sneaky ones

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I have some like that too.. however if you just look at the white metal part of it.. you'll know that it's silver.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks silver to me....

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1968 the "clad" copper planchets had not even been made yet. That is just a clean 40%er. (which means 60% or so copper)

I only edge search and see them every now and then, don't think I miss any when compared to a handfull of clad the do look different.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
40 % silver halfs * 1965 to 1970 era can and do often show copper on the edge ( their copper core filling ) so always check by the date not edge color -- folks that only check edge color is how and why 40% silver halves can often still be found in bank rolls fairly often. :wink:

so always check !!!!!
due to their silver content 1965 to 1970 40% halfs got $3.85 in silver in them ( over 7 --almost 8 x thier face value) at current spot silver value

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
now on with the lesson, put some of your 40% ers and look LOOK closely at the edges often 40's will look brown,black or at least gray. clads will usually be more the red copper color. ANY ThING you see odd, check the date. I would call the one in your pic brown and when i see them I am happy. hh

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
To me that would stick out like a sore thumb as being a 40%. The key is that the 40% rims look different than a clad. They may be silver, green, gray, light copper, etc, but I have never seen one that looks just like a typical clad rim. I have missed one or two when I was being lazy and going too fast that I caught via the "sound test", which I try to do on every roll in case my eyes miss one.

Jim

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I've seen plenty of 40%ers that have copper edges.. the key is to look at the non-copper part. If the metal is white, resembles Ag, then it is. If you've looked at a lot of nickel and Ag, you can tell the difference between the metals. Ag is the whiter metal while nickel is grey.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timbobwey said:
I've gotten quite a few 40% with the copper rim, I almost always date search unless I'm doing boxes. They are sneaky ones
So have i ..in fact, the one box that i scored my only silvers in.. i went back thru all the rejects and foudn 3 40%'s that i had missed because they had a copper edge...whats weird is i have found like 2 or 3 1971 with silver edges???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread