Just found this in a roll of pennies.

austinosphere

Greenie
Oct 31, 2010
Fellow coin roll hunter that does more reading (great posts) than posting.

Just found this:

106.JPG

107.JPG

It's dated 1982 d.

It is silver/whitish, it has a slightly smaller circumference than regular pennies.

My best guess is a blank that was pressed before it got a copper coating?

Is this common? Have you seen this before?

Thank you,
Austin

Upvote 0

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it's not a cent struck on a dime planchet? Great Find. :icon_thumright:

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I think Marchas45 is on to something. By the size of it, it may be struck on a dime planchet. Check the edge to see if it looks like a clad dime without the reeding. If so, it's a pretty valuable error, not sure how much it would be worth, but they are not common.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
That is a nice find if it is struck on dime planchet. What does it look like on the side? Does it show copper cladding? If it is on a dime planchet.. it's worth getting certified at PCGS.

OP
OP
A

austinosphere

Greenie
Oct 31, 2010
I LOVE YOU PEOPLE.

SERIOUSLY.

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH.

It does have the bi-color "clad" look on the sides! Also that would explain why it's smaller in size than a penny!

I will get it graded! That's so neat. hahahhahaha I figured I would never find anything besides wheats and copper, because I didn't think I'd notice errors even if they were there.

This couldn't be missed!

Yay!

I've looked at completed listings on eBay, and there aren't many that have been listed. Someone had a 1996 penny printed on a dime planchet and it went for $130, and then someone had a 1982 d (graded) and was asking $895 but didn't get it.

I'll plan on getting it graded and holding onto it.

How exciting!!!!!!!

EDIT: Just found this link http://minterrornews.com/priceguideoffmetal.html which lists Lincoln Memorial Cents after 1965 on dime planchet as $125 circulated. At least to have some type of idea. Pretty sweet!

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
austinosphere said:
I LOVE YOU PEOPLE.

SERIOUSLY.

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH.

It does have the bi-color "clad" look on the sides! Also that would explain why it's smaller in size than a penny!

I will get it graded! That's so neat. hahahhahaha I figured I would never find anything besides wheats and copper, because I didn't think I'd notice errors even if they were there.

This couldn't be missed!

Yay!

I've looked at completed listings on eBay, and there aren't many that have been listed. Someone had a 1996 penny printed on a dime planchet and it went for $130, and then someone had a 1982 d (graded) and was asking $895 but didn't get it.

I'll plan on getting it graded and holding onto it.

How exciting!!!!!!!

EDIT: Just found this link http://minterrornews.com/priceguideoffmetal.html which lists Lincoln Memorial Cents after 1965 on dime planchet as $125 circulated. At least to have some type of idea. Pretty sweet!

Do we get a consultation Fee :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I had thought that maybe it was just a brass cent. But I now believe, from looking at its size, that it could have been struck on a planchet that was intended to be used for a foreign coin that is minted by the US. A so-called "off-metal" coin. Nice catch.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
also looks a bit off center (reverse) which would make me agree it is probably a dime planchet. please let us know what the grading service results are. i once found one of those in a bag but it turned out to be a penny that someone spray painted. if yours has a reeded edge it is most likely the real deal. please try and post a picture of the edge if you can get a good one.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
One correction. It shouldn't have a reeded edge since it was struck with a cent die and collar. The only way it would have a reeded edge, is if it was struck on an actual dime. But then you would probably see traces of the dime design under the cent design...

The reeding is placed on the coin when it's struck, so since this one was struck in a cent collar it will not have any edge reeding...

I think it is most likely genuine based on your description. Makes sense for it to be smaller and slightly off center since the planchet wouldn't fit properly in the cent collar.

Key indicator is if the planchet looks like a clad dime planchet from the edge and the size is about right for dime planchet.

Wrong planchet errors are very rare. You've got a dream find here if it's the real deal!

Great find and worth getting authenticated in my opinion!

OP
OP
A

austinosphere

Greenie
Oct 31, 2010
Marchas45 said:
Do we get a consultation Fee :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Yes, I've just donated $50 in each of your names to "The Human Fund" (a la George Costanza) :tongue3:

@Numismaniac - Yeah, there is no reeding, just the two tone clad coloring on the side.

My concern is that if the price at that link puts it at just $125, that it costs $50 to grade it? What do you think?

I'm super happy to have found it, and especially to share the photos and news with the group. Each of us can use the inspiration to keep us going, which is why I always come here to this forum, to read what you've all found that day/week.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I'm pretty convinced it's genuine based on your description. Certification depends on what you want to do with it.

I had an awesome find back in 2005 when I lucked into six BU Wisconsin Extra Leaf quarters from some rolls. We lived in San Antonio, TX at the time and that was one of the few places that got them in any quantity. I did send them into NGC for certification, I was able to do it for about $20 a coin since I'm an ANA member. I got them certified because I thought they would bring more money that way. I sold all of them except one of each type (hi/low).

They did bring a very nice price on Feebay, so it was probably a good call.

In your case, I can see either way. Not sure what it costs to get a single coin certified. I know you have to go thru a dealer for PCGS or buy some sort of membership.

If you're going to keep it, and you're convinced it's real why spend the money to certify it? If you plan to sell it see what the difference is between certified and uncertified ones and that will tell you which way to go. Oh well, either way, it's an awesome find! Congrats :icon_thumleft:

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
austinosphere said:
Fellow coin roll hunter that does more reading (great posts) than posting.

Just found this:

106.JPG

107.JPG

It's dated 1982 d.

It is silver/whitish, it has a slightly smaller circumference than regular pennies.

My best guess is a blank that was pressed before it got a copper coating?

Is this common? Have you seen this before?

Thank you,
Austin

Awsome find! I do not want to jump your thread, but I found an uncoated penny that I got checked, $$$$, But yours is rare indeed. :icon_thumright:

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
It's not that hard to strip the copper coating off a penny... I wouldn't recomend it... but those aren't rare.. they are worth even less IMO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread