Auction Score - Wheats

bthomas71chevy

Apr 6, 2007
Auction Score - Wheat's

Well, on a "Black Friday" auction we attended, the coins were going VERY high and we got outbid on EVERYTHING we bid on by dealers, shops and people with much deeper pockets then us. But at the end we got choice of a box of pennies. All the boxes were "60 rolls of wheats" and my son had been playing in the box that had all the extra unrolled wheats. Long story short, I wanted a "60 roll box" and my son said, he wanted to one that had all the loose wheats and before I could get a 2nd box or talk with him, someone else snagged all the other boxes. :(

After a disappointing ride home seeing that about half the box was non-wheat's !!!! (aaarrrrgggg !!!)

After a quick 5 minute scan of the box at home, he pulled half a dozen 1909's, 1909 vdb and a... (drum roll please...)

1914 d
:hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

He told me, "Wait, I think this is worth something !!!" as he ran out of the room. We spent sometime looking it over and it looks 100% real (not a 1944 counterfeit).

We have only since that night only gone through about 10% of the lot and about 50% are wheats but I also pulled two Indian Head Pennies out too.

I guess it all worked out unexpected.
-Brent

Upvote 0

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Re: Auction Score - Wheat's

Wow, nice score dude.

Coins go crazy high around here... closer to redbook pricing than online pricing. I've actually debated breaking out some old slabbed gold that's been lightly cleaned and listing it for sale with one of the auction houses...

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

Ltrain said:
Wow, nice score dude.

Coins go crazy high around here... closer to redbook pricing than online pricing. I've actually debated breaking out some old slabbed gold that's been lightly cleaned and listing it for sale with one of the auction houses...

The problem is that most of those little auction houses take like 25% as a fee. With coins they drop it to about 15%. You may get 10% above what you wanted, but take 15% back out and you're not doing so well.

Check for the fees, and if it works give it a shot. :-)

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

Nice find on the 1914 D :thumbsup:.Auctions can be fun but alot of time some coins go for crazy $$ and sometimes you score.

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010

jrf30 said:
The problem is that most of those little auction houses take like 25% as a fee. With coins they drop it to about 15%. You may get 10% above what you wanted, but take 15% back out and you're not doing so well.

Check for the fees, and if it works give it a shot. :-)

When a harshly cleaned 1854-O $3 gold (I'd grade it at XF45 at best) goes for $2300 after a $600 estimate from the house and a $700 estimate from me, I won't mind a 25% cut to the AH... These guys only ask for 15% anyway, IIRC.

Buy another for $700, crack it, submit it, if it sells for $2k, I pocket a grand.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.

Auctions can be good for selling. Only problem is no guarantees on prices. Can put a reserve, but generally not as saleable.

Last Month:
Sold a bright "cleaned" Large cent for $60. Paid $10
Sold a GSA Morgan Dollar in box for $300, paid $175 from Fee-Bay.
Not a lot of $$, but still plenty positive after 15%sell fee.

Lots of times people get caught up in the excitement of the auction and pay way too much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread