"Our other branch has a whole bunch of old large dollar coins..."

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: "Our other branch has a whole bunch of old large dollar coins..."

You've always got to consider the source when you hear comments like that.

"Old" is probably 30+ years ago; ergo, from the seventies. And there were likely no keepers among them. So all you missed out on were a bunch of clad Ikes. Just keep telling yourself that.

Did you honestly think anything else ? 8)

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

You never know.. long ago.. when I asked for large dollars.. one bank had 18 morgans and peace dollars. The girl that gave them to me had no clue what they were worth. She wanted to be educated so I told her they were worth $12 each at the time. I left them my number for them to call me if they get ones like those again. Of course, that never happened. I feel like an idiot for telling them.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SFBayArea said:
You never know.. long ago.. when I asked for large dollars.. one bank had 18 morgans and peace dollars. The girl that gave them to me had no clue what they were worth. She wanted to be educated so I told her they were worth $12 each at the time. I left them my number for them to call me if they get ones like those again. Of course, that never happened. I feel like an idiot for telling them.

If there ever was an instance where you wanted to roll back time....

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500

this has happend to me twice. each time i was unlucky enough to make it there and pick up bags of ikes. the first bank called me at 400 pm and said they had a big bag of old big silver dollars that someone brought in and wanted to know if i wanted them. i said yes and rushed over there (20 miles away) to get there before they closed. only to be disappointed.
the second time i was a little more careful. different bank calls. young teller said she had 100.00 worth of big silver dollars. i asked her how old they were and her reply was--they are very old---i have never seen any like this. i go over there and guess what??? more ikes. no silver in each batch either.
so i would not be too disappointed if i were you. if they were silver another teller would have got um

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

I have seen 3 different "lots" on ebay of 100 Ikes go for $175. That's what I plan on doing with the pile I have sitting here.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, you still can make money on Ikes. I sold some on another forum for $1.10 each. $210 worth netted me almost $20. Bit of work but you can sell them. I wouldnt suggest ebay unless you are getting a nice premium since the fees will eat up your profit.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

My thoughts exactly. I have them listed on craigslist right now. I dont mind waiting if I can turn them around even for a small profit. Worst case scenario, they dont sell and I turn them back in to my bank for face value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions