Irritated!!! Need some advice...

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well folks, I just picked up my one of my Wednesday boxes and opened it to see...low and behold, that 12 of the rolls were hand rolled. :( The rest of the rolls appeared to be in their original rolls so I proceeded to open the box thinking that some may have been sold from the box then returned from some bank and that I may do ok with this one (boxes from this bank have yielded fairly well for me). At any rate, one of the hand rolls was two halves short and had a quarter in there. About half way through the yellow rolls I find a bunch of the rolls with clear scotch tape on them. Argggggggggg!!! >:( I took a picture which is posted below. Should I show it to the bank teller and let her know what happened, I really don't want this to happen again so I would like some advice from others who have run into this situation before as well. Needless to say but I will anyways, the box was an el-skunko!

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Attachments

• mms_picture(13).jpg
    mms_picture(13).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 330
Upvote 0

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
Re: Irritated! Need some advice...

I'd just mention that when you get boxes, you'd like all the rolls to be machine rolled, no hand rolls.

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008

Where are you located - somewhere in Washington State? The reason I ask is that I seal up my rolls with tape after I slice them open to edge search. I also use "shiny tape", and seal both ends of hand rolls.

It'd be interesting to see if these were my coins...

Sorry for getting such an obvious dump.

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

STDevil said:
Where are you located - somewhere in Washington State? The reason I ask is that I seal up my rolls with tape after I slice them open to edge search. I also use "shiny tape", and seal both ends of hand rolls.

It'd be interesting to see if these were my coins...

Sorry for getting such an obvious dump.

I am in NY so no worries my friend! I guess I will mention it to them and open the boxes before I leave the bank from now on just to make sure.

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
Well at least you got a quarter and they are tough to find
HH
Rich

LMAO!!! If it were only silver!!!

HH,

$ilver$urfer

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Once I got a box with some hand rolled halves. I found out one of the tellers wanted to see what I was looking for and if he should get in on the strike! Good for me he skunked out and gave up after about 10 rolls. Never happened since. :tongue3:

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a month ago, I called bank which tends to always have extra boxes of halves on hand. They had 5 boxes. I said I would be there within 2 hours. I can only go to this bank when I have a day off (which is not very often) as this bank is about 50 miles away. I get there and the teller says she only has 4 boxes. She had "dropped the 5th box" and coins were rolling everywhere. So, I thought nothing about it, bought the four boxes and away I go.

A few weeks later I was able to call again, and yes, they had 4 boxes on hand. Same routine. But, when I opened the boxes I saw at least 10 rolls in this box that were hand-rolled. Oh, I thought. The teller had viewed silver from the "holes" and I got 10 rolls of "el skunko's." I surmised these were the coins that "dropped." Well, this was not the case. I had at least 4 silver keepers in the 10 handrolls. Either these were the coins that "dropped" and were re-rolled by a teller who did not care to collect silver, or they were just customer rolled. I will never know, but my lesson learned is that you never know what you will get and when. It is truly a crap shoot.

apush :read2:

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
$ilver$urfer said:
Well folks, I just picked up my one of my Wednesday boxes and opened it to see...low and behold, that 12 of the rolls were hand rolled. :( The rest of the rolls appeared to be in their original rolls so I proceeded to open the box thinking that some may have been sold from the box then returned from some bank and that I may do ok with this one (boxes from this bank have yielded fairly well for me). At any rate, one of the hand rolls was two halves short and had a quarter in there. About half way through the yellow rolls I find a bunch of the rolls with clear scotch tape on them. Argggggggggg!!! >:( I took a picture which is posted below. Should I show it to the bank teller and let her know what happened, I really don't want this to happen again so I would like some advice from others who have run into this situation before as well. Needless to say but I will anyways, the box was an el-skunko!

HH,

I LIKE it when I get hand rolled. That is where I find over 90% of my silver. Seriously. So hand rolled is great. Dumps are not great, obviously, but you never know what you have until you open them on hand rolled. So take them when you can, and don't complain. ALso, if you complain, they may think less of doing this for you - for free. So nothing to gain, but some to lose. I'd take it as part of the process, and keep telling them I'll take ALL halves, hand rolled, loose, and in boxes. :-)

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 said:
$ilver$urfer said:

HH,

I LIKE it when I get hand rolled. That is where I find over 90% of my silver. Seriously. So hand rolled is great. Dumps are not great, obviously, but you never know what you have until you open them on hand rolled. So take them when you can, and don't complain. ALso, if you complain, they may think less of doing this for you - for free. So nothing to gain, but some to lose. I'd take it as part of the process, and keep telling them I'll take ALL halves, hand rolled, loose, and in boxes. :-)

Good points, I guess I'll take this one on the chin even though I know this box was someone's dumps. This is the first time I have seen this and I don't expect this to happen too often so I'll just consider it part of the game or hobby as it is and keep my mouth shut.

HH,

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apush said:
About a month ago, I called bank which tends to always have extra boxes of halves on hand. They had 5 boxes. I said I would be there within 2 hours. I can only go to this bank when I have a day off (which is not very often) as this bank is about 50 miles away. I get there and the teller says she only has 4 boxes. She had "dropped the 5th box" and coins were rolling everywhere. So, I thought nothing about it, bought the four boxes and away I go.

A few weeks later I was able to call again, and yes, they had 4 boxes on hand. Same routine. But, when I opened the boxes I saw at least 10 rolls in this box that were hand-rolled. Oh, I thought. The teller had viewed silver from the "holes" and I got 10 rolls of "el skunko's." I surmised these were the coins that "dropped." Well, this was not the case. I had at least 4 silver keepers in the 10 handrolls. Either these were the coins that "dropped" and were re-rolled by a teller who did not care to collect silver, or they were just customer rolled. I will never know, but my lesson learned is that you never know what you will get and when. It is truly a crap shoot.

apush :read2:

I guess you are right, a total crap shoot - some days you find it, other days you don't!!! :laughing7:

HH,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread