100 Boxes into this hobby, are your results similar, worse, or better?

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Fellow CRHers!!!

I am now officially 100 boxes into this hobby and am posting my results below. These totals are just for my boxes, not my road trips, bank stops, teller calls, etc. Are your results similar, worse, or better than mine on average? Please let me know!

100 Half Dollar Boxes:

[234] 40%ers = 2.34 per box
[43] '64s = .43 per box
[9] Bens = .09 per box
[5] WL = .05 per box

2.91 pieces of silver per box on average (my average was well over 3 for a while but I have been getting a lot of skunks lately which has lowered my average).

55.22 troy ounces of silver recovered at a cost of $145.50.

53 of the 100 boxes contained silver
47 of the 100 boxes were skunks

most silvers in a box was 24 ([22] 40%ers and [2] '64s)
most 40%ers found in a box was 22
most 90%ers found in a box was 5 (two times)
most 40%ers in a roll was 2
most 90%ers in a roll was 2

Can't think of any more statistics at this time! :laughing7:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Upvote 0

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Been doing pennies, nickels and dimes and just now got in to halves. Only done 2 boxes so far and found 1 40% in each box. Happy to get that as I keep reading posts about a lot of skunk boxes in between finds so I am more than happy with an average of 1 per box.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are decent box results. Mine were lousy, never scored even a single 40% from any of my boxes this year. Now, I buy my silver halves, it's cheaper for me that way and not as tedious. I still like searching dimes though.

Silverbull

Nov 12, 2009
Adirondack Park NY
I do 4-8 boxes a month and lately and the average score lately has also been about 3 silvers per box with not a lot of 90%ers. The skunks are really breeding in these hills lately but i've seen dry spells before :( .

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not exactly sure, but I would guess we have done about 30 boxes of halves so far. This has resulted in (6) WL's, (11) Bens, (24) '64's, (3) silver proofs, (1) Comm, and maybe (150) 40%ers. Numbers have dropped way off the last few weeks though.

D

davidlandon

131 boxes this year so far.

204 - 90%
494 - 40%

54/131 boxes were skunks

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This figure is just face correct? Did you account for your time, gas, wear and tear on your car, ect? I am sure the cost is a lot higher once you do the figures.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
AGCoinHunter said:

This figure is just face correct? Did you account for your time, gas, wear and tear on your car, ect? I am sure the cost is a lot higher once you do the figures.

The gas, wear and tear argument is one to consider if you want to be a perfectionist with your statistics. I think it is silly to try and factor in such. When I go to the grocery store, I only consider the grocery receipt in my budget. If my groceries cost $100, I don't come home and say, "Honey, groceries cost us $122.50 this week." Most of us incorporate our bank runs in with other errands. If you on a road trip for the sole purpose of CRH'ing, then fine - factor in the gas, time, etc.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
AGCoinHunter said:

The gas, wear and tear argument is one to consider if you want to be a perfectionist with your statistics. I think it is silly to try and factor in such. When I go to the grocery store, I only consider the grocery receipt in my budget. If my groceries cost $100, I don't come home and say, "Honey, groceries cost us $122.50 this week." Most of us incorporate our bank runs in with other errands. If you on a road trip for the sole purpose of CRH'ing, then fine - factor in the gas, time, etc.

Some do, some dont. I work full time during the week and have to make dump runs at specific times during the day that I normally wouldnt be using the car, aka lunch time because banks are not open when I do have free time. This eats up some profit as I have to drive sometimes in excess of 35 miles RT to dump several times a week. Do this week end and week out and it adds up quickly.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
AGCoinHunter said:
Diver_Down said:
AGCoinHunter said:

Some do, some dont. I work full time during the week and have to make dump runs at specific times during the day that I normally wouldnt be using the car, aka lunch time because banks are not open when I do have free time. This eats up some profit as I have to drive sometimes in excess of 35 miles RT to dump several times a week. Do this week end and week out and it adds up quickly.

Just dump less often. I only dump once a month now. 20k once a month.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
AGCoinHunter said:
Diver_Down said:
AGCoinHunter said:

Just dump less often. I only dump once a month now. 20k once a month.

If you just have 20k sitting around, sure. I dont have that kind of budget to search with.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
$ilver$urfer said:

HH,

Kudos on hitting that milestone. To you and some of the other newbies, especially ones that keep good records like that, here's a little "bell test" you can conduct.

While I'm sure not intentionally, the 40%ers were essentially minted in a bell curve. We'll only use use '65 - '69; inclusive; as '70 was effectively an NIFC.

'65 - 65.9M
'66 - 109.0M
'67 - 295.0M
'68 - 247.0M
'69 - 129.9M

See if your collection of 40%ers doesn't map to a similar bell curve as well.

I posted the same question on this forum about three or four years ago, and it "rung" true for most who replied; but there have been many (many) who have joined this forum since.

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thurmownator said:
$ilver$urfer said:

HH,

Kudos on hitting that milestone. To you and some of the other newbies, especially ones that keep good records like that, here's a little "bell test" you can conduct.

While I'm sure not intentionally, the 40%ers were essentially minted in a bell curve. We'll only use use '65 - '69; inclusive; as '70 was effectively an NIFC.

'65 - 65.9M
'66 - 109.0M
'67 - 295.0M
'68 - 247.0M
'69 - 129.9M

See if your collection of 40%ers doesn't map to a similar bell curve as well.

I posted the same question on this forum about three or four years ago, and it "rung" true for most who replied; but there have been many (many) who have joined this forum since.

Yes, the bell curve applies to my 40% finds as well - the curve holds true!!! :icon_thumleft:

HH,

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:
Diver_Down said:
AGCoinHunter said:

I do not count my time doing this because I do it off of work hours either during lunch, after work or on the weekends and it is my hobby. I do not count gas either because my pickup banks are within a few miles of me and my dump banks aren't that much further away. I do probably put in about 50 miles a week for this hobby so that would be 2 gallons of gas or $6-$8 but like I said I don't really count that in. If I start doing a lot of road trips in the future I may but I don't have any plans to do that right now.

HH,

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't keep track on mine, but I can tell you that your finds are much better than mine!

I sold the other day after about 75-80 boxes I guess...I had only a combined (40/90) take of 144 coins to sell. Soooo you are doing good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread