Good luck with 2 bags of dimes (Insert haircut reference here)

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Last Friday I bought a $1,000 bag of dimes at the Credit Union I work at. I found 9 silver Roosevelts and 11 Canadian. Happy with those results I stopped at a bank that lets me buy their counting machine bags when they have them. I bought a $500 bag of quarters, $500 bag of dimes, and a $100 bag of nickels. The quarters were a skunk but I found a few Territory and America the Beautiful quarters for the albums. The nickels had a 1943-P war nickel and 35 pre-1960 Jeffersons. Dimes continued to be good to me. The second handfull out of the bag had a 1928 Mercury. in the end I found 4 Mercuries (1928, 1941, 1943, and 1944), 2 1964-D Roosevelts, and a 1966 80% Canadian. I also had my oldest dime find so far, a 1903 Barber! My oldest before this was a 1906 Barber about 3 years ago.

02DEC10_Dime_Total_Obv.jpg

02DEC10_Dime_Total_Rev.jpg

02DEC10_1903Barber_Dime_Obv.jpg

02DEC10_1903Barber_Dime_Rev.jpg

Halves have not been stellar. Last weeks box was a SKUNK and this weeks box had a 1966 and a 1975 50 Pesetas from Spain.

Upvote 0

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
Great score on the barber still looking for one ahppy hunting .RON

EastKyMiner

Apr 16, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score Fropa, love the pics :thumbsup:
HH...Miner

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You found some nice oldies there! Just wondering though, you mentioned that you were happy with the Canadian dimes. Are you collecting them? I consider them to be worthless slugs, as I always get many, and they are hard to get rid of. Just the other day i mistakenly used ten in my change at the bank, the head teller copped a 'tude and asked me if I had any US $, and threw the canadians right back at me.
Congrats on the old Barber, hard to get! ffd

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent finds there Fropa !

Your Barber looks like it may have a mint mark, looks like it could even be an "S". At just over 600K minted; that would be a nice feather in your cap.

Can you confirm ?

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State
fistfulladirt said:
You found some nice oldies there! Just wondering though, you mentioned that you were happy with the Canadian dimes. Are you collecting them? I consider them to be worthless slugs, as I always get many, and they are hard to get rid of. Just the other day i mistakenly used ten in my change at the bank, the head teller copped a 'tude and asked me if I had any US $, and threw the canadians right back at me.

Seriously, the teller had a problem with them here in Michigan? I get a Canadian in about every other roll of cents, nickles and dimes. Once of the things I enjoy the most about doing halves is not getting Canadians. I just put the Canadian coins back in the rolls with the clad and take them to the dump bank.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
JT10 said:
fistfulladirt said:

Seriously, the teller had a problem with them here in Michigan? I get a Canadian in about every other roll of cents, nickles and dimes. Once of the things I enjoy the most about doing halves is not getting Canadians. I just put the Canadian coins back in the rolls with the clad and take them to the dump bank.
Wish I could, but they don't accept rolled coin.

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks everybody.

fistfulladirt - my wording wasn't good there. I don't like finding Canadian coins but keep track of them on my spreadsheet so mentioned them. I've got a plastic bowel full of them and wish I knew of a counting machine without the magnet on it. I may try to talk my head teller into letting my dump them in our counting machine.

thurmonator - I hadn't noticed but I can see what your saying about a possible mint mark. I'll put it back under the microscope and take a closer look and let you know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread