Coin folders

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I've been raiding coin rolls for a couple of months now and have been discarding all the coins that weren't silver or worth keeping for other reasons (missing the FG, post 2001, etc) but some of the discards were very clean. So, I bought acouple of Whitman coin folders today and my box of halves almost filled it. I hope the 3 boxs I have ordered for next week finnish it off. Then I can start culling them. I hope the grand kids don't cash them in for candy 10 years from now.

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be interested to know which holes are the last to be filled in your albums, silver and non-silver. I just bought volume three in case I get any '04's '05's or '06's. Good luck filling your books.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought volume I & II just before I started searching through rolls
last year. I have most of the spots filled except for a couple.
I guess I need to get volume III for the later years.

Joe

OP
OP
goldinmypan

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
vol III has some of the slots printed but the rest are blank. Maybe a couple of years down the line they'll print the complete book.

OP
OP
goldinmypan

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I went thru my 40%ers today to fill in my folder and most of them were in really bad shape. I know that you are not supposed to clean coins but other then for silver value nobody would want most of them. So, if I'm going to clean them, what would be the best way?

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I buy the two "Harris" coin folders for the Kennedys, 1964-1984 and 1985-1999. The 1999 has unmarked space for 5 more coins, so it really goes to 2001 with an extra space for an uncirculated 2002+. I can usually fill all the slots from 1971 to 2001 with a box of halves (except for 1987 P&D which were never released to circulation, only mint sets). I use the "Reverse" holes for any "s" proofs I find.

It seems like the hardest circulated, non-silver coins to find in good shape are the 1986-P. There seem to be a lot of very nice 1998-D, 1997-P and 1983-D halves in near uncirculatred condition in my boxes.

As for cleaning, I like them to look nice, and so some of the 40% coins get silver polished before going into the book. I figure that will not lower the melt value. I would not polish a 1970-D if I ever find one, but a cruddy, dirty 1967, why not, it will only be worth a lot if the other 295,000,000 get destroyed. And the silver coins look great to the kids cleaned up in a book.

Also, I will wipe off some crud with a "Jewelers Cloth". There is a difference between cleaning and polishing. Don't for a minute think coin dealers never wipe their coins with a jewelers cloth.

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Hey Gold,

You can also use a little vinegar to clean with. I just put a little in a shot glass to cover the coin and let it soak a day or two.The 40%er's dont seem to polish up as clean as the 1964's do.
Speaking of 1970-D's, I bought a BU roll of 1969-D's on Ebay last year that had a 1970-D in with it.That coin was worth more than i payed for the roll.

Yes but never clean a key date coin. It can cost you some moolah !

Take Care,
Mike in SC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread