Spare Change

SilverQuest

Oct 23, 2010
Oklahoma/Kansas border
Since starting this new obsession, I have now been checking my change that I get when making cash purchases. Generally I will take my change and place it in a jar or drawer and collect it later for deposit. This last weekend I decided to take it out and hunt it. I was surprised at how much pre-1982/3 pennies were in the bunch and actually found 2 Wheaties and one 1940 nickel.

So yeah i am definitely making more cash purchases and checking the change!!!!! lol

Anyone else make any similar discoveries?

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, my pocket change was the first place where I "CRH'd" I found several wheat pennies in my change jar, best one was a 1914 one but it was so worn you could barely make out any detail and the coin was basically completely slick. More recently in change I've found a 1912 wheat and a 1942 Merc.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh cool...a couple weeks ago i saw a wheatie in the "Take a Penny" tray at the store..so i made a joke to the lady at the register..and traded a penny for a penny..its was only a 1956..but hey..its still a wheat :thumbsup:

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always check my change too. What has really surprised me lately is how many bright copper pennies that I am finding in my change these days that are 30-40 years old. Yesterday in my change i found a 1961 penny and a 1972 penny that looked like they had only been in circulation for a week or two. They were both super bright coppers without any wear at all. Has anyone else seen this? I wonder where these coins have been for the last few decades where they are only now coming into circulation.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mr_larry said:
I wonder where these coins have been for the last few decades where they are only now coming into circulation.
Probably with 10 pounds of other coins that got dumped at a bank. That is why there will always be silver in circulation.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
cyberdan said:
mr_larry said:
I wonder where these coins have been for the last few decades where they are only now coming into circulation.
Probably with 10 pounds of other coins that got dumped at a bank. That is why there will always be silver in circulation.
Yep, fresh out of a collection.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a silver rosie in my change jar at home. I have also received silver dimes and one quarter in change at the store. I CRH cents and average about 25% copper ones. My pocket change has similar numbers of copper cents.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
nice score! ive only gotten wheats in change, never silver (unless i was too young to know about silver coins and spent them haha)...occasionally old nickels since they r so common, sometimes foreign coins, and once my great grandma gave me before she died :'( about 12 bucks in halves, i threw them in a jar to keep just for memories sake, and when i diiscovered what silver was, i checked them and found a '64-D kenn...that was pretty exciting, and i also had some roll(s) of halves laying around i had gotten years ago from different places, and found a frankie, 4-6 walkers, and a barber (haha i got them when i was really young).....but never in change now a days...so nice score! keep it up and hh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread