Anyone know of this half dollar error?

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight while searching halves I found a 1979 half that was noticeably smaller than the other halves in the roll. It also weighed about 1 gram less. The edge still has a nice reed so it wasn't purposely made smaller.

I checked eBay and didnt see anything similar, so then I went to google. The only thing I found was an article about half dollars that were struck on Susan B. Anthony planchets in 1979 and 1980 (maybe other years too). Here is that article:

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=4741

Any light that can be shed on this would be greatly appreciated. Here is my small 1979 half dollar:

SmallerKennedy.jpg

Thanks, Nick

Upvote 0

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Nice find. The SBA weighs 8.1g if that helps determine if you have the real deal.

HH,
65GT350

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
This might be true as long as the side reeds are intact and not shaved.

Send it off to PCGS, NGC, or ANACS for grading if you really want to find out.

There was a member here that find a U.S. half struck on a taiwanese coin planchet. I had no idea how that came about but that's ANACS said on that coin. Anyone have link to it?

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
SFBayArea said:
This might be true as long as the side reeds are intact and not shaved.

Send it off to PCGS, NGC, or ANACS for grading if you really want to find out.

There was a member here that find a U.S. half struck on a taiwanese coin planchet. I had no idea how that came about but that's ANACS said on that coin. Anyone have link to it?

Here is the link

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,367788.0.html

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Grab a susan B and put it on the odd haolf. Are they the same size? If so, send it in for verification. If not, then you look for something else to explain it.

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 said:
Grab a susan B and put it on the odd haolf. Are they the same size? If so, send it in for verification. If not, then you look for something else to explain it.

I think you meant to say compare the weight. Weight would be more important than the size- when a blank is stamped, the metal flows into the die, so if the is room to expand to the collar, the blank will. It would still be smaller than a normal coin, but larger than the coin intended for the planchet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread