I finally got the 1970-S small date cent

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
After going through close to $2000 over the last two years.. I finally found the 1970-S small date cent.. I guess my next target is the 1969-S Doubled Die.. and the always elusive 1950 wheatie that I can't ever find.

Before this 1970-S small date cent, my most valuable penny find was a 1922 Canadian cent.

What's everyone's best or most valuable penny found by CRH?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Yeah, I was being a bit conservative on the figure. I read some PCGS story on some guy in Michigan buying a roll of uncirculated 69-S cents and finding one. My numbers might be off based on memory alone but it sold for something like $80,000. It all depends on the condition too. If you have a MS-65 graded one, it'll sell for twice that of a MS-60 example. In being conservative, if you get a circulated one (VF to EF), it'll be worth probably $7,000 to $10,000. That's just my guess. Anyone got a red book value for it in circulated condition for 69-S doubled die?

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
mr_larry said:
Hmmm... I miscounted my 69,70 & 72 pennies. I counted a different stack of coins.
I have 12 1970-S pennies, and 17 of the 69-S and 72 pennies.
I'll have a look tomorrow when the Budweiser wears off. :laughing7:
I think I see what you are talking about. The difference on the 7 being lower appears to be pretty subtle.
Of the 12 1970-S pennies I have, 4 are in remarkable condition, bright copper!
I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow and maybe you can give me some guidance. I have a good macro lense!

Merry Christmas to you all!

ML

You're in NorCal, you should be able to obtain more than 12 70-S cents. I guess it depends on the amount you search. Other than the small date, large date ones aren't worth more than any other copper cent. If you have pics, I can try to decifer them. I must've seen probably hundreds 70-S cents by now. Got one.

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SFBA:

It's funny because I just searched through roughly $34 worth of pennies. I sorted out all of the coppers and the 82s & 84s (82s to see which were copper and 84s for the Lincoln ear). I put up an earlier thread about this a few days ago. I bought a husband and wife's 4-5 year collection of pennies the other day.

I got a bunch of coppers and pulled them aside and last night I sorted through those to pull out the relevant 69-S, 70-S, and 72 pennies. I will try to count the coppers but I won't count the others. I'll do my best at estimating them based upon weight.

Of the 12 1970-S pennies I have, one has massive post-mint damage; the most damage of any coin in the entire lot. It looks like someone put it on a train track and it received a glancing blow. It happens to be the only coin that looks like it might be the small date variety. That would be typical of my luck!

Pictures tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread