Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    5 times

I finally got the 1970-S small date cent

After going through close to $2000 over the last two years.. I finally found the 1970-S small date cent.. I guess my next target is the 1969-S Doubled Die.. and the always elusive 1950 wheatie that I can't ever find.

Before this 1970-S small date cent, my most valuable penny find was a 1922 Canadian cent.

What's everyone's best or most valuable penny found by CRH?

us
    Sep 2008
    141 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: I finally got the 1970-S small date cent

picture, please!

us
    Aug 2010
    Maryland
    Fisher CZ70
    1 times

Great find! The 1970-S small date is a tough coin to find in the wild. I found one in the mid-1970s, and I have yet to come across another one while coin roll hunting.

Since you ask about the best/most valuable finds others have made, I thought this would be the appropriate place for this story. I know a gentleman who was a bank manager in the 1970s and 1980s. Not only did he actively search for coins, he had all the tellers on the look out for older coins. Recently he asked me to assist him in liquidating his collection. I was astounded at what he had amassed. He had a complete set of Franklin halves, a complete set of Kennedy halves, a complete set of Washington quarters, including the 1932-D and 1932-S, a complete set of Mercury dimes except for the 1916-D and the overdates, a complete set of Roosevelt dimes, and a complete set of Jefferson nickels. He also had a smattering of some of the older series like Morgan and Peace dollars, Barber coins, and Liberty Head and Buffalo nickels. The best part, though, was his cent collection. He had a complete set of Lincoln cents, including the 1909-S VDB, the 1922 plain (weak reverse), and the 1955 double die. I about died when I saw the 1955 double die as it was the full blown version in EF condition. Of course he about died when I told him that the 1955 double die was way more valuable than the 1909-S VDB, which to most people is the holy grail of Lincoln cents. And to think he paid face value for all those coins! He was a little disappointed when I told him that his 1970-S was not a small date, and that his 45 1972 double die cents were all the less valuable "poor man's" versions.

us
    Aug 2009
    ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
    10 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Lets see a picture of it. These can be really hard to distinguish. I have seen a lot of SD's which are really LD's.
    There is no silver left around here...

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    5 times

I don't think I can do a close up that well with my camera but I'll try. It has the distinct weak "Liberty" and the 7 is higher with the bottom of the 7 not be extremely long. The 9 also looks different with the loop coming inward. The coin is probably in VF in condition and Brown.

I live in the SF Bay Area so I see 1970-S cents quite frequently in the coins I find. This one has all the marks of being a small date. I'm really suprised how this became a variety. It's so subtle that people actually attributed it to be a small date.

Feb 2008
    Alexandria, VA
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    2 times

My best cent from circulation was the 1999 Wide AM that I found this year. It was graded MS62 RB by ANACS.

Congrats on the '70 S!

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    5 times

Here's my best pic.. can't get any close ups with this camera.. Yeah, I realized my thumb finger nail is a bit long.. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00247.JPG 
Views:	952 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	481751  

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB
    My best cent from circulation was the 1999 Wide AM that I found this year. It was graded MS62 RB by ANACS.

Congrats on the '70 S!

Congrats on your 99 Wide AM.. in MS62.. it's worth like $100 I imagine.. better than mine. Maybe I can get the 1969-S doubled die.

Feb 2008
    Alexandria, VA
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    2 times

Try putting the coin on a flat surface near a window so you get natural light and use the macro setting on the camera (looks like flower). Hold the camera about 1 foot away and take a clear pic. View the picture on the camera and then using the zoom feature, try to zoom in on the date. If it works, save it on the camer and then download to the computer.

This is what works on may camera.

JasonB

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    5 times

Another pic.. believe me, I've tried it all.. my camera isn't designed to get that close.

Name:	DSC00246.JPG 
Views:	1099 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	481768  

Feb 2008
    Alexandria, VA
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    2 times

Your focus is much better but you need more light. I sometimes put a desk lamp next to the coin but lower than the camera and it take the shadow off of the coin. I also turn off my camera flash so I can control the light better.

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB
    Your focus is much better but you need more light. I sometimes put a desk lamp next to the coin but lower than the camera and it take the shadow off of the coin. I also turn off my camera flash so I can control the light better.

Sorry but that's the best I can do. I knew that this coin is hard to tell right away and my camera isn't good enough to focus on it.. yes, the flash is off. I don't have a $1000 camera just for zooming in on coins. I did this in the brightest room in the house. You can tell from the pic.. the liberty is weak and the 7 is level at the top with the 9 & 0. The coin is only worth like $20 anyhow.

us
    Mar 2008
    southern utah
    White MXT
    1 times

From what I can see & looking at the 9 which I think is the best way to tell the small from the large date, you have the small date good job picking that up.

us
    Jan 2007
    Texas
    DFX & SE
    9 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by SFBayArea
    After going through close to $2000 over the last two years.. I finally found the 1970-S small date cent.. I guess my next target is the 1969-S Doubled Die.. and the always elusive 1950 wheatie that I can't ever find.

Before this 1970-S small date cent, my most valuable penny find was a 1922 Canadian cent.

What's everyone's best or most valuable penny found by CRH?
    Nice score on that 70!

This one showed up last Sunday - sorry about the blurry image:

Name:	31s obv.jpg 
Views:	1202 
Size:	375.0 KB 
ID:	481914  
    Pinpoint twice, dig once!

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    5 times

Nice find on the semi-key date.. maybe someday I'll find that too.. right after I find the 1950 that I can never find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors