I finally got the 1970-S small date cent

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
After going through close to $2000 over the last two years.. I finally found the 1970-S small date cent.. I guess my next target is the 1969-S Doubled Die.. and the always elusive 1950 wheatie that I can't ever find.

Before this 1970-S small date cent, my most valuable penny find was a 1922 Canadian cent.

What's everyone's best or most valuable penny found by CRH?

Upvote 0

sitman

Aug 2, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70
Great find! The 1970-S small date is a tough coin to find in the wild. I found one in the mid-1970s, and I have yet to come across another one while coin roll hunting.

Since you ask about the best/most valuable finds others have made, I thought this would be the appropriate place for this story. I know a gentleman who was a bank manager in the 1970s and 1980s. Not only did he actively search for coins, he had all the tellers on the look out for older coins. Recently he asked me to assist him in liquidating his collection. I was astounded at what he had amassed. He had a complete set of Franklin halves, a complete set of Kennedy halves, a complete set of Washington quarters, including the 1932-D and 1932-S, a complete set of Mercury dimes except for the 1916-D and the overdates, a complete set of Roosevelt dimes, and a complete set of Jefferson nickels. He also had a smattering of some of the older series like Morgan and Peace dollars, Barber coins, and Liberty Head and Buffalo nickels. The best part, though, was his cent collection. He had a complete set of Lincoln cents, including the 1909-S VDB, the 1922 plain (weak reverse), and the 1955 double die. I about died when I saw the 1955 double die as it was the full blown version in EF condition. Of course he about died when I told him that the 1955 double die was way more valuable than the 1909-S VDB, which to most people is the holy grail of Lincoln cents. And to think he paid face value for all those coins! He was a little disappointed when I told him that his 1970-S was not a small date, and that his 45 1972 double die cents were all the less valuable "poor man's" versions.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets see a picture of it. These can be really hard to distinguish. I have seen a lot of SD's which are really LD's.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I don't think I can do a close up that well with my camera but I'll try. It has the distinct weak "Liberty" and the 7 is higher with the bottom of the 7 not be extremely long. The 9 also looks different with the loop coming inward. The coin is probably in VF in condition and Brown.

I live in the SF Bay Area so I see 1970-S cents quite frequently in the coins I find. This one has all the marks of being a small date. I'm really suprised how this became a variety. It's so subtle that people actually attributed it to be a small date.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
My best cent from circulation was the 1999 Wide AM that I found this year. It was graded MS62 RB by ANACS.

Congrats on the '70 S!

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Here's my best pic.. can't get any close ups with this camera.. Yeah, I realized my thumb finger nail is a bit long.. LOL

Attachments

• DSC00247.JPG
    DSC00247.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 1,728
OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
JasonB said:
My best cent from circulation was the 1999 Wide AM that I found this year. It was graded MS62 RB by ANACS.

Congrats on the '70 S!

Congrats on your 99 Wide AM.. in MS62.. it's worth like $100 I imagine.. better than mine. Maybe I can get the 1969-S doubled die.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Try putting the coin on a flat surface near a window so you get natural light and use the macro setting on the camera (looks like flower). Hold the camera about 1 foot away and take a clear pic. View the picture on the camera and then using the zoom feature, try to zoom in on the date. If it works, save it on the camer and then download to the computer.

This is what works on may camera.

JasonB

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Another pic.. believe me, I've tried it all.. my camera isn't designed to get that close.

Attachments

• DSC00246.JPG
    DSC00246.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 3,000

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Your focus is much better but you need more light. I sometimes put a desk lamp next to the coin but lower than the camera and it take the shadow off of the coin. I also turn off my camera flash so I can control the light better.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
JasonB said:
Your focus is much better but you need more light. I sometimes put a desk lamp next to the coin but lower than the camera and it take the shadow off of the coin. I also turn off my camera flash so I can control the light better.

Sorry but that's the best I can do. I knew that this coin is hard to tell right away and my camera isn't good enough to focus on it.. yes, the flash is off. I don't have a $1000 camera just for zooming in on coins. I did this in the brightest room in the house. You can tell from the pic.. the liberty is weak and the 7 is level at the top with the 9 & 0. The coin is only worth like $20 anyhow.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
From what I can see & looking at the 9 which I think is the best way to tell the small from the large date, you have the small date good job picking that up.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
SFBayArea said:
After going through close to $2000 over the last two years.. I finally found the 1970-S small date cent.. I guess my next target is the 1969-S Doubled Die.. and the always elusive 1950 wheatie that I can't ever find.

Before this 1970-S small date cent, my most valuable penny find was a 1922 Canadian cent.

What's everyone's best or most valuable penny found by CRH?

Nice score on that 70!

This one showed up last Sunday - sorry about the blurry image:

Attachments

• 31s obv.jpg
    31s obv.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,838
OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Nice find on the semi-key date.. maybe someday I'll find that too.. right after I find the 1950 that I can never find.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No real cent find for me, but a whopping Congrats on your find!

apush :read2:

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't there supposed to be doubling of the "Liberty" on this coin? What makes this a valuable coin?
The reason I ask is because I just searched through about $35.00 worth of pennies and pulled all the 1969-S, 1970-S and 1972 pennies from my copper. I have 11 of these coins but I'm not sure what to look for. Any guidance would be appreciated!

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
mr_larry said:
Isn't there supposed to be doubling of the "Liberty" on this coin? What makes this a valuable coin?
The reason I ask is because I just searched through about $35.00 worth of pennies and pulled all the 1969-S, 1970-S and 1972 pennies from my copper. I have 11 of these coins but I'm not sure what to look for. Any guidance would be appreciated!

No, there is no doubling on this coin. The "liberty" is weakly struck on small date 1970-S cents. This is just a die variety that has recognition. Like I mentioned above. The top of the 7 is lined up even with the tops of the 9 & 0. On large dates, the top of the 7 is lower than the top of the 9 & 0. The bottom of the 7 on the small date also doesn't protrude out as long as the 7 on the large date. You can google it and find out.
The coin is only worth like $20 circulated anyhow.

It's not like the 1972 doubled die in rarity. The 1969-S doubled die is the main ultimate rare doubled die penny. If you find one, you get banner on this board for sure. I believe PCGS has only graded something like 18 1969-S doubled dies and I remember an uncirculated graded one getting sold for $18,000.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
SFBayArea said:
mr_larry said:

No, there is no doubling on this coin. The "liberty" is weakly struck on small date 1970-S cents. This is just a die variety that has recognition. Like I mentioned above. The top of the 7 is lined up even with the tops of the 9 & 0. On large dates, the top of the 7 is lower than the top of the 9 & 0. The bottom of the 7 on the small date also doesn't protrude out as long as the 7 on the large date. You can google it and find out.
The coin is only worth like $20 circulated anyhow.

It's not like the 1972 doubled die in rarity. The 1969-S doubled die is the main ultimate rare doubled die penny. If you find one, you get banner on this board for sure. I believe PCGS has only graded something like 18 1969-S doubled dies and I remember an uncirculated graded one getting sold for $18,000.

Try it bit higher. I don't have a link to the thread, but I started it sometime ago (6 months?). It was about a CRH'er who hoarded copper. He was a bit compulsive as he separated his copper by date. He held his hoard until one day he was going to turn it in at the bank for face. He gave a friend an option to buy any rolls before he did so. The friend was interested in his 1969 rolls. Perhaps a bit too interested. It prompted the original guy to research what value 1969 held. Of course, he discovered the rarity 1969-s double die in his research. He proceeded to re-search his hoard of '69 cents. Of course, he found a beautiful example. It sold for over 6 figures.

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm... I miscounted my 69,70 & 72 pennies. I counted a different stack of coins.
I have 12 1970-S pennies, and 17 of the 69-S and 72 pennies.
I'll have a look tomorrow when the Budweiser wears off. :laughing7:
I think I see what you are talking about. The difference on the 7 being lower appears to be pretty subtle.
Of the 12 1970-S pennies I have, 4 are in remarkable condition, bright copper!
I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow and maybe you can give me some guidance. I have a good macro lense!

Merry Christmas to you all!

ML

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions