Commemorative Dollar Coins on TV - What are they worth?

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Happened to see a thing on a art/coin channel last night - They were selling dollar commemorative coins that looked like they went back into the 70s-2000s. These were full dollars, not halves. They all looked like cameo proofs and in mint condition. They were asking 249.00 for 5 and 449 for 10 - So about 45 a coin if you ordered 10 or 50 if you ordered 5. Looked on ebay and did not find alot there, but the ones I saw were going from 33 all the way to 80. The coins on the show were not graded, but again, looked to be proof cameos and just wondered what people thought about these coins. I would never buy off tv, but was just curious as to if these were way overpriced or not.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
one dollar -- LMAO -- junk "collectible coins" sadly so many less than knowledgible folks fall for this useless junk

either buy scrap grade silver coins --or high grade collectible silver coins --is my advice

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Oh, I would never buy something off tv and never buy anything like this, but was just curious. I have been buying scrap/junk coins at pawn shops as well as as antique shops for the past 3 months. It seems the dealers do not go in and adjust their prices as I have bought alot pre64 halves for well under $10.00. These coins that were on this show, I would imagine, have the same melt value of a Peace or a Morgan which is around $22.60 making them hugely overpriced in silver value. I have never seen these types of coins so was just asking out of curiosity.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Are these Commerative silver coins issued by the US. mint? Some might just be selling their own issued or minted coins (privately made) and those are just crap, not worth much than the metal they were made in. As for as U.S. modern commeratives, you have to get ones in graded by PCGS, NGC, or ANACS. They also have to be MS70 to be worth anything or at least MS69. If it's MS70, they'll charge you an arm and a leg. U.S. modern commeratives depend on the demand. If people want that specific issue badly. Some commeratives are just ugly and no one wants them. Maybe if you have one that's graded by PCGS and has rainbow toning, it'll be worth something but I doubt TV shows will offer that. Their stuff is a rip off. I'm suprised people buy their crap probably because they have no knowledge.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Are you looking to invest or collect . If you want to invest stick to "junk" silver or somthing easy to learn how to buy and sell it. If you want to collect as a hobby then buy whatever looks good to you realizing you will pay more for kool stuff. I pay more for kool looking silver "art" bars occasionaly because i like looking at them.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
99% chance they are of limited quality for grade and overpriced. Pass!
Maine_Jim

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
quiksilver said:
Are you looking to invest or collect . If you want to invest stick to "junk" silver or somthing easy to learn how to buy and sell it. If you want to collect as a hobby then buy whatever looks good to you realizing you will pay more for kool stuff. I pay more for kool looking silver "art" bars occasionaly because i like looking at them.

That's why collectors love collecting rainbow toner coins. The more spectacular looking the toner, the more it sells for. People on the PCGS board love to talk about their latest rainbow toner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions