apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone found a 1943 Steel Cent in a box? This one has escaped me time and time again. I know coin counters have magnets that pull steel. Just wonder if a steel cent that is deposited straight to the bank (and misses the coin counter) could in theory go to Brinks, then rerolled, and packed into boxes? Or does the Brinks machines have the same set up? I am thinking it does(?).

I have searched numerous handrolls--just need more patience with the handrolls I guess. I know steel cents are cheap, and I could just go buy one, but I really would like to find a few in the wild. Santa brought me a load of coin albums. :icon_sunny:

HSH,
apush :read2:

Upvote 0

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been CRHing for almost 4 years and have never found a steel cent. Most of the coins I search are from boxes but I have searched many hand rolls as well. I always just chalked it up to the magnets in the machines and the fact that they looked different so they are more easily noticed.

-Codes

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at my bank the other day when I saw the bank teller break a new roll of pennies to give me change,and the first coin I see pop out of the roll is a steel penny.I asked her if I could have it and she said yes. :hello2:

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
ive found steelies in boxes before. They cant be pulled because id brinks was using magnets they would pull out all the canadians. and god know we all get plenty of those

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Been doing cents for months with well over 100 boxes and never come across one. Got mine at an estate auction but I would love to find one in a roll. Even though they are not worth anything, it would still be a exciting find.

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
i have been lucky and found probably 25 steelies in several different boxes, it can happen!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found two, count 'em two, steelies in a coin machine at my credit union at the same time. Both are pristine, one could almost be MS according to my dealer. It looked like somebody dumped somebody's coin collection.

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I havent done any penny boxes,but i get steel pennies and silver atmy dump bank in the return tray on coin machine almost weekly since Ive started doing this.

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
I searched over $4,000 worth this year before I finally found one. Last night I found my 2nd one for the year. They are out there.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
Only one I found in circulation in the last couple of years was out of my wife's coin jar. I need to find out if some of my banks will save me the stuff off the magnet in the coin counter. I don't have many with a self serve counter.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I haven't gotten one either. Ugotit is right, new canadian cents have steel in them. Not that they're worth much but interesting that they're harder to find. They're just as hard to find as the 1950 wheatie that I'm griping about.

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
Check the reject try the mechines love to reject them how many do you want find them all the time. happy hunting Ron

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
It is funny you should ask this question . I have been CRH since the early 70's and can never recall if I ever got a steel cent even in a cutomer turn in roll . Then about 2 weeks ago my jaw dropped when I opened this roll talk about a find of a lifetime . 46 p's 2 esses and 2 d's. Can not see that happening again . I have never found a full roll of wheats . let alone a whole roll of steelies. You never know! Rob :coffee2:

Attachments

• metal detecting 336.jpg
    metal detecting 336.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 260
  • metal detecting 337.jpg
    metal detecting 337.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 294

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found a steelie in a roll, but I have gotten two the old fashioned way - in change. One was actually in a friends change, and the other came along a couple weeks later from a McDonalds.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Yes-
Numerous steelies in bags, Brinks and CWI (NF String), rolls. Give it time, they'll come.
It's more fun to find silver and IH's in machine rolls than steelies!

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
Never found one, been hunting pennies since 2004.
2008-2010 searching averaged $150 FV per week or roughly 50k-60k pennies/month
Luck of the draw combined with a lot of rejects by machines keeping them out of my bags and boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread