Picked up $660 loose from BoA...look promising...and now my results!

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
Results to follow eventually...waiting for the girlfriend to get into town so she can bring me some luck and help. :) I can see a Bennie peeking at me though so it should be good. Results to follow sometime this weekend or Monday.

P.S. Make it a point to start asking the bank if you can buy the halves out of their coin machine. Thats where all of these came from. The teller, who was amazingly nice, told me they had probably been sitting there for close to 5 years. 5 years and they still hadnt filled the bag. The $100 I posted about last night came from the same bag.

P.S.S. Just a little tid bit, the teller told me that Bank of America was going away from the coin counting machines, and were not replacing them as they break. Instead, the account holder will estimate the amount of coin they have, and the tellers count it at the end of the day and issue the right credit (from what I understand). Doesnt sound efficient at all.

$660 Loose Approximately 3.1% of the halves were silver. 31 40%ers and 10 90%ers.
1 1963D
9 1964
3 1965
3 1966
14 1967
7 1968D
4 1969

Upvote 0

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Picked up $660 loose from BoA...look promising...

Good luck with the bag coins! Sounds great!

The idea of getting rid of the counting machines seems like a step backwards. And consider, if they make the clerks count all halves turned in by hand, I think you can say goodbye to any silver getting past them. And they will be UNHAPPY when we walk in with 2000 in halves.

Here in the Chicagoland area ALL banks I know of have coin counting machines, and if you bring in rolled coin, you will wait as they open them and run them through the machines. It is strange how bussiness operrate so differently in different areas.

Oh well, you can't pump your own self serve gas in New Jersey, lol.

btw, where are you at AF?

OP
OP
A

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE

Im currently stationed at Dyess AFB in Abilene. In October I will go to Del Rio, TX, where I will probably die. There are NO MAJOR BANKS in Del Rio. I dont know what I am going to do. Try and amass my fortune in silver before I arrive there. Muahahahah!

Sidenote: I think I must be the only person in Abilene searching halves. No teller has mentioned to me of anyone else asking. Oh, and while I was getting my bag of halves I was chatting with the teller, and there was an older gentleman standing behind us. Well, he reached into my bag of halves and said " I didnt know you could still buy halves" and proceeds to pull out a silver one and go "Well whaddya know." Haha. Maybe some competition will develope afterall! (He did not keep the half) :)

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST

near as I can tell, none of the banks around my area have counting machines. All the halves I get are either ordered from Fed, come out of tellers drawers or were hand rolled by people turning them in.

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006

All of the banks I have been to in the surrounding cities of my home do not have and coin machines. They require the halves to be wrapped and the bank account number to be on each roll. This holds true in every bank I've been in except for one branch of the bank that I turn most of my halves in. The teller told me not to put my account number on the rolls. I basically turn in one box to this bank per week now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread