Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Upvote 0

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also gave my kids their school lunch money in the form of 1 roll each, to which the lunch ladies reportedly exclaimed "Oooh, where did you get these? Did you steal them from your dad?

Most of mine are spent at gas stations though, I figure that I need to buy gas anyways and the odds of those coins going into someone else's collection are better than dumping them at the bank. It's kinda tedious and annoying, but hey, it's all part of the game.

I wish that gas pumps had coin slots... how cool would that be to load it up with all of your change?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The self checkout machines at my local Walmart take halves. So I always make sure I have a pocket full any time I go in there. The machine even has a hopper so you don't have to feed them one at a time. Throwing $10 worth of halves into the machine takes no time at all and doesn't hold up the line. It's an easy way to dump relatively small amounts of halves without having to deal with anyone giving you grief.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I saw the title I thought this was going to be a nasty thread. Nasty in here how I was nasty to these pour little clerks. I don't do a lot of halves or dollars, but when I do, I've used a few of the coins as a little extra on resturaunt tips. I've made minor purchases. I've also paid part of my mortgage payment with halves.

SilverQuest

Oct 23, 2010
Oklahoma/Kansas border
Stopped off at a Mcd's the other day. My order came to $4 and change. I gave the girl 4 $1bills and 1 half coin. I waited for my change and she must have thought I gave her a $1 coin because she gave me back my change and 50 cents extra. I waited for her to get done with the next customer, because as soon as she handed my the money her window closed. I explained, I gave her a half not a $1 coin. Having worked as a cashier, I Hated my drawer being off. I then went to the next window to get my order and that lady tried to give me more sodas than I ordered.

The funny thing about this story is not the mistakes, but that as I was trying to be honest, they kept looking at me like I was weird. They must have thought that I should just take the money and the extra soda.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, in this college town the young cashiers find the halves to be quite the curiosity, some have never seen them before. Some jokingly moan about them but it is in good humor. Never spent more than 20 at a time though; don't want to inconvenience them too much or overflow the registers. Fun to give as tips too.

There is an irish pub in town that rounds to the nearest 50 cents and gives change in halves. Their jumbo wings are some of the best I've ever had. One employee said he has a jug with about 1,700 given as tips stashed away. Wouldn't mind going through that!

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use them at starbucks, thai restaurants that my wife and I love to dine and in fastfoods, you'll always get surprising reactions from them! :thumbsup:

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll unload a bunch tonight when I take the wife out. Last week I was paying at a fastfood place where one of my tellers was also a customer. She was laughing because she knew where I got all of those halves. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions