ike dollar question

pbinnyc

Greenie
Dec 21, 2010
hi again
whenever i'm at a bank, i show them an ike dollar, and ask the if they have any more, in the hopes of getting a trade/peace/morgan. i know its a long shot, but i doesnt cost me anything, and my bartender loves the ikes (i shine em up before i tip her with them). if you just ask for silver dollars, all you get is sba's.
anyway, has anyone actually gotten a trade/peace/morgan dollar like this?
thanks and good luck
pb

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope. I'd sure like to run into one of those naive tellers. Mine are just too saaaaaaaaavy! The closest I come are their stories of interception.

OP
OP
P

pbinnyc

Greenie
Dec 21, 2010
lol! if i didnt live in nyc i'd love to get into MDing.
but yeah i figure the odds are slim of ever getting a real siver dollar. can you imagine the bragging rights, though, if you did? i'm gonna keep trying, just because i think ikes are neat.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
As I have learned, Ikes can be worth your time too. The 1972 Type 2 in good condition is worth a decent premium and you might also find a 40% silver "S". Personally, I am saving my clad Ikes to sell for "lots of 100" with the hopes of getting $150-175 realistically.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
pbinnyc said:
but yeah i figure the odds are slim of ever getting a real siver dollar. can you imagine the bragging rights, though, if you did? i'm gonna keep trying, just because i think ikes are neat.

there are some great spots to MD in NYC. What are you saying?

In Manhattan the parks are OLD. they give up some OLD coins. Good stuff. In the suburbs (Bronx, Brooklyn, etc - or even Jersey) the fact that this was settled over 200 yers ago leads to GREAT finds.

Whenever I used to go back to visit my family in Clifton NJ I'd bring my MD, and do wonderful. I found silver coins, wheat pennies, nice rings, old artifacts, and even mini balls (Used before bullets). And in Brooklyn I worked a sidewalk area (the grassy area between the sidewalk and the road) while we were visiting some friends, and found like 6 silver coins in 2 hours, because people dropped them there while getting in and out of cars overthe many YEARS.

Old areas - even NYC - are WONDERFUL to MD. :-) Give it a try!!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I did get a Peace dollar from a bank recently. The woman in front of me was cashing in her change, and I got lucky enough to be the next in line to ask to buy all that she had. The cashiers had no time to sit and look at what had just come in.

In fact, that transaction led me to start CHR.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Yep, in 10 years or so of CRH I've scored two times with this. I got a 1921 Morgan from a teller who said "do you want this old one?" when I asked for big Eisenhower dollars and a 1972 S silver Ike once with a bunch (about 50) clad Ikes. Both were huge thrills!

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett THD Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jrf30 said:
pbinnyc said:

there are some great spots to MD in NYC. What are you saying?

In Manhattan the parks are OLD. they give up some OLD coins. Good stuff. In the suburbs (Bronx, Brooklyn, etc - or even Jersey) the fact that this was settled over 200 yers ago leads to GREAT finds.

Whenever I used to go back to visit my family in Clifton NJ I'd bring my MD, and do wonderful. I found silver coins, wheat pennies, nice rings, old artifacts, and even mini balls (Used before bullets). And in Brooklyn I worked a sidewalk area (the grassy area between the sidewalk and the road) while we were visiting some friends, and found like 6 silver coins in 2 hours, because people dropped them there while getting in and out of cars overthe many YEARS.

Old areas - even NYC - are WONDERFUL to MD. :-) Give it a try!!
There are many parks in NYC that are off limits. I just moved from New York and there are only a handful of parks in the boroughs that are detectable. You also need a permit to detect in New York parks. On top of that, if you are sneaking around hunting at night, the police have taken away detectors from people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread