Interesting Read for those who do read.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I kept waiting for it to go down when it was $17-18. It only keeps going up. Don't know if I will be happy or sad if it hits $50. Well I guess I will be happy for all of the CRH'ers!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Well, the real question is whether we'll still be able to pull Ag at $50/oz from boxes or will the increased amount of CRHers dry everything up? At $50, I'm selling my stash.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Believe it or not, the author is the guy that recently charged me the "sorting fee" on the Kennedy halves I bought at his shop.
I'm in this for the long run, and will continue to buy even as the price goes up. I've been buying junk silver below melt at a different shop from a local dealer, also Morgans and Peace dollars just a tad over melt. Probably won't sell at any price unless a hardship occurs.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I've been reading about 50 dollar silver for several months now. When it gets here,which may very well be in a couple of months,it will certainly have a negative impact on CRHing finds.
Look how many new people are jumping on the bandwagon at 30 bucks an ounce ! Not that I blame them for giving it a try.
I'm thinking that 2011 will mark the end for CRHing. Not because the silver will run out, but that the banks won't put up with it.
HH
Rich

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I added this site to my "favorites." Thanks coolpix9.

apush :read2:

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Very good article.
ETF's are worth no more than the paper they're printed on.
It would be unreal if only 10% the owners demanded physical silver instead of cash.
The light would shine brightly inside the empty vaults!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
TXTim said:
Very good article.
It would be unreal if only 10% the owners demanded physical silver instead of cash.

However, ETFs are fantastic vehicles if one wishes to trade the market. If someone buys physical to "flip" or trade they are losing out on $$$$ due to the premiums they get hit with on both the buy and sell side. But with an ETF, a person with an online account can buy huge $$$$ worth of shares for 7 bucks per trade on both sides of the transaction.

I have never used ETFs, but plan to in the coming year if we get a good correction in gold and silver (I will be buying more physical too if that happens. Although I always recommend people have a core "stash" of physical PMs they hold as insurance against financial meltdown, there are other ways to profit from the bull market and ETFs are one way.

Jim

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Very good article. I've read it at least 4 times, and have been pondering it since I first read it.

Here is what I want to know:

What is going on with the silver producers, those who mine and refine?

Who is buying all of the silver? I thought we were in a recession. Is silver that much in demand?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
TXTim said:
Very good article.

However, ETFs are fantastic vehicles if one wishes to trade the market. If someone buys physical to "flip" or trade they are losing out on $$$$ due to the premiums they get hit with on both the buy and sell side. But with an ETF, a person with an online account can buy huge $$$$ worth of shares for 7 bucks per trade on both sides of the transaction.

I have never used ETFs, but plan to in the coming year if we get a good correction in gold and silver (I will be buying more physical too if that happens. Although I always recommend people have a core "stash" of physical PMs they hold as insurance against financial meltdown, there are other ways to profit from the bull market and ETFs are one way.

Jim

I agree. I've done fairly well with trading the SLV ETF in an IRA account. I pay a very small fee on each transaction but the proceeds are always tax free (until I retire and start withdrawing them). I've made about 40% this year on trading SLV's up's and down's. But I also hold plenty of physical silver. I only buy the ETF's when I see a decent sized correction occur which happens at least once a month. With silver on the incline most of the time there is fairly low risk associated with buying silver ETF's. Of course, you can never be sure that an ETF (or even physical silver for that matter) won't tank and leave you holding the bag. But I've done well with them by playing it fairly safe and trading often. I couldn't do that with physical silver.

Treat ETF's like you do any other stock and you'll be fine. If you saw a standard company stock that showed the history that silver has shown you'd buy it in a heartbeat (especially for the short term). It's all part of diversification.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver hit 50$ once before and it still out there so what's the worry. Many people have no idea what silver is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread