Been getting skunked on friggin CENTS!

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali
Been getting skunked on friggin' CENTS!

i like to pick up $5-10 in rolled pennies at each bank i visit. today i brought home 20 rolls. when i got home i broke open these brinks plastic rolls and found that half of them (probably from the same box, i mixed the rolls from the two banks that i visited) contained ZERO coppers!! there were a couple of '82 zincolns. is it possible that brinks is taking the coppers out? and if that is the case how soon before they start extracting other stuff?

Upvote 0

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Re: Been getting skunked on friggin' CENTS!

Your just likely hunting where one of them monster copper hoarders dumps. If you want the copper go for the nickels they can't steal the copper out of them. Ain't seen you at GIM for awhile, did you have to give up on the silver? HH Mark

EpicDeuce

Dec 2, 2010

Um I picked up a 25$ box to sort at work the other day. ALL rolls were 2010 uncirculated mint fresh.... So yeah, I feel your pain.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

That is bad.. I've gotten all 2010 cents before but not all zincolns. I pray for the day that I don't get a box like that. It could be that a penny searcher dumped at the bank you visited and had all the zincolns put into plastic wraps which is possible.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats strange..Thats usally the sure thing..i always get at least 10-15 wheats..and 25-30 copper..in fact the box i picked up last week had 2 dimes in one of the rolls.

OP
OP
Agro

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali

SFBayArea said:
That is bad.. I've gotten all 2010 cents before but not all zincolns. I pray for the day that I don't get a box like that. It could be that a penny searcher dumped at the bank you visited and had all the zincolns put into plastic wraps which is possible.

worse even...i am in the bay area too!

EpicDeuce

Dec 2, 2010

Wow! Just picked up 5 bucks worth of pennies at the credit union where I work (I like to sort cents at work) and found 24 wheats! And two steel '43! Lots of teens, 1912, 1913, 1918, 1920, 1929! Wild all from 5 bucks of customer rolls. Plenty of copper to boot! I'll head in tomorrow to buy whats left too!

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EpicDeuce said:
Wow! Just picked up 5 bucks worth of pennies at the credit union where I work (I like to sort cents at work) and found 24 wheats! And two steel '43! Lots of teens, 1912, 1913, 1918, 1920, 1929! Wild all from 5 bucks of customer rolls. Plenty of copper to boot! I'll head in tomorrow to buy whats left too!

That's awesome!

OP
OP
Agro

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali

I figure that someone must've repacked the plastic rolls with the zincs. Very few coppers I could understand, but zero...something's afoot!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Agro said:
I figure that someone must've repacked the plastic rolls with the zincs. Very few coppers I could understand, but zero...something's afoot!

Happened to me last year. Sealed Brinks box of cents. Every single one was a zincoln. What sort of freak pulls all the copper? Then I realized, that I'm that kind of freak.

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA

I'm in the bay and I used to do cents too. I would get plastic Brinks boxes and sort them for copper + wheat and then rewrap all the zincolns and throw em back in the pond. That was more than half a year ago so I doubt you're getting mine as I only did it for a short while before moving on to silver.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agro said:

Can you repack the plastic rolls? I can barely get them open..But im sure its possible you got someones dumps..I just rencently dumped around 180 dollars in Zincs :dontknow:

CopperRocket

Dec 16, 2010

I recently ordered 200.00 in pennies from my bank. When I picked them up 5 of the boxes were solid 2010!!!!! Thank God the boxes were the kind with holes in the bottom so I spotted the problem before I opened them. I promptly took them back to another branch, LOL! In my area, brinks is better for copper, but HORRIBLE for silver.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Diggin-N-Dumps said:
Agro said:

Can you repack the plastic rolls? I can barely get them open..But im sure its possible you got someones dumps..I just rencently dumped around 180 dollars in Zincs :dontknow:

Anything is possible if you work at it. Plastic wraps are easier to wrap coins in than the original bank NF String wrap paper rolls with ends open. Plastic wraps can stretch and can accommodate coins being inserted. Even wrapping coins back into paper rolls the way they came is possible. If you see on Feebay people selling wheats in original bank wrapped paper rolls, I just don't believe it. Some people's wrapping jobs are awful. A tightly wrapped paper roll is original. It has to look tight to be original wrapped. If it looks loose, it is most likely opened before.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

There was a guy two months ago that dumped at a BofA I visited. They were pi$$ed that he left $1000 in pennies for them to ship off. The teller there gave me a hard time about dumping. I wanted to exchange $5 in zincolns and she told me I had to ship it off just like the guy with $1000 pennies. It's possible the box they pulled from was part of his dump. I'm sure it's not the last time he's dumped $1000 in pennies. Banks tell me that they get other customers asking for pennies. I was even in line last week and saw some old Asian lady ask for $5 in pennies. Nothing else. Why does she need $5 in pennies for? It made me wonder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread