quick question to all

EpicDeuce

Dec 2, 2010
Good question! I used to get the same reaction at older banks. Some 'fronts' for you to consider when fielding looks and questions for ordering/dumping.

Own/Operate a vending machine company or concessions.
You are a landlord and one of your properties has college kids that pay entirely in half dollars to spite you.
You need halves to play poker on the weekends.

You get the idea, use your imagination! Hope this helps.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I try to buy coins from banks that am a member at. I have rental properties so I have 12 mortgages that I pay every month. I have 5 mortgages with Chase. I stopped in yesterday to buy a box of pennies and nickles. The teller behind the counter asked if I had an account. I said yes, she asked the name of my business I told her and she tried to look it up. I was not in her computer as the mortgages are in my name. It took her a while but she sold me the coins. I send Chase over $5,000 per month about $2,000 interest and never been late. With Chase losing billions on unpaid mortgages it is funny how she gave me the 3rd degree over $125 in pennies and nickles.

Gordon and Tanner

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sathmcnugent said:
What do you tell bank tellers when they ask if i own a business or what are you doing with all the coins..they always look at me funny like im some kind of weirdo..what could i say so they dont ask me and just get used to it haha..thanks

I just simply tell them the truth - that I am a coin collector looking for coins to add to my collection.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
I just tell them that I collect half dollars and I'm trying to complete my set. I do still need a couple JFK halves (1970D, 87P or D) to complete that set, and then I'll still be working on my Franklin set. If they ask if I keep silver I tell them yes (as they already know about that) but I don't talk about silver generally.

Had one lady on Thursday very surprised that I'd sit down and look through a whole $300 in half dollars, I told her it was a good hobby to do in front of the TV :)

corey237

Dec 27, 2010
I tell them my Daughter is trying to fill up her coin books and it would take 75 years to do waiting for halves in pocket change so I would like some rolls. Which is true. She looks through the dump bag for her whitman books. She is 11 and looks about 7 and I always take her with me to the bank if she ain't in school. I get alot less stink eye and hassle when I got a cute little kid with me.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank stopped asking me...now they just say " Pennies or Dimes today?"..But i do "Volunteer Information"..and tell them that I like collecting coins and tryign to fill up the books..alot depends on the teller..about 95 percent of the time they are extremly nice and personable...But i also do have accounts with these banks..Im not much to just walk into one that i dont have an account with

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spending the winter in southtexas so i guess ill have to try and find a couple of new banks for my halfs hope its not too hard cause i already miss my hunting and its only been 1 week

EpicDeuce

Dec 2, 2010
suprdave said:
spending the winter in southtexas so i guess ill have to try and find a couple of new banks for my halfs hope its not too hard cause i already miss my hunting and its only been 1 week

Texas rules, only good thing about the NE is the silver scores.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
sathmcnugent said:
What do you tell bank tellers when they ask if i own a business or what are you doing with all the coins..they always look at me funny like im some kind of weirdo..what could i say so they dont ask me and just get used to it haha..thanks

Normally I just tell them that I'm a coin collector. Once in a while I'll run into a teller that is rude, and gives me the 3rd degree. For them I have a pocketfull of tall tales.
The following is one of the more outrageous ones that I have used
"Where did you get all those half dollars"?
"My stub has been giving me trouble lately.So to give it some exercise, and prevent the muscle from atrophying,I fill my wooden leg with half dollars".
HH
Rich

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I collect coins , all types, im trying to get my kids into coin collecting, then i proceed to tell them about the 4 thousand comic books i have that my daddy took me to collect that nobody wants and the misdirection goes on from there. True story about the comics tho.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Mr. Hartford. Does not surprise me. My favorite of yours was the time you told that teller (and I am paraphrasing) "look, this one is old," refering to the bicentennial. That was the best. :laughing9:

A couple of months back, I went for the first time to one of my bank's branches to dump. It is rather a long distance from where I live. At this particular branch, you bring the coins up to the counter and the tellers take the coins to the back and dump them in the machine for you. This one teller asked me where did you get all those coins? Did you inherit them? I just looked at her and said "no" and left it at that. This bank is where I house the majority of my personal business so I decided it was none of hers. My family has banked here for well over 50 years. She has not asked me since--although I have only dumped 3 times now at this branch. This particular teller just "hit me in the wrong way."

99% of the time I just tell them I collect coins and fill books--which I do. Not only do I fill books, one of my goals is to leave my grandchildren (only have 1 right now) one roll of each type of coin. Yep, it will take more than I have years left, but I do enjoy it. Just tell them you collect. You don't have to tell them why you collect. No one's business but yours. Just a thought.

apush :read2:

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True story from last week.

An older gentleman (who did not immediately announce to me that he was the branch manager) comes over to the machine I am dumping into and sticks his hand into my bag of about $600 halves. I say "hey, get your f-ing (i said the full word) hand out of my bag" He then says he's the branch manager, and where did I get all those half dollars. My response because I was pissed off already.........from my house.

HH

Nick

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
apush said:
"look, this one is old," refering to the bicentennial.

That was the best.

Wasn't it? I've died laughing 10,000 times after reading that, and have retold the story to many other people. They've found it just as hysterical!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread