Large amount of NIFCs in my rolls

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Large amount of NIFC's in my rolls

I just started acquiring rolls from another bank in town. They have all been skunks except for 8 40%'ers from a hand roll. In the other rolls I am getting more NIFC halves then ever before. My last 10 rolls had 10 2004's, 12 2006's and and 3 2009's. My questions are where do they all come from and has anyone else had this experience?

Upvote 0

corey237

Dec 27, 2010
Re: Large amount of NIFC's in my rolls

Had this happen to me the other day from a bank. Out of seven rolls I got about 10 of them. prior to that I think I've only come across 2 out of about $5000 searched.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rooter said:
.....My questions are where do they all come from.........

They come from hoarders that dump them after finally realizing that holding them was pointless.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

I'd like to find some of those, so consider yourself lucky!

I am curious to know if the mint, or whoever puts coinage into circulation, if they sometimes dump NIFC coins into circulation?

If you look at the official website, there is no bargain if you wanted to buy NIFC. Did I read that $100 in NIFC JFK clad halves in face costs $130, plus shipping? You'd have to be a determined and dedicated buyer to want those, IMO.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

If you can afford to hang on to them, do it. If not, return them to the wild.

The positions are mixed on this forum as to whether they do/will command a premium. I'm in the camp that, due to their low mintages, will command a premium.

The only question is how long will it take and how much will be the premium.

IMHO

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with Thurm. I've thought about releasing the NIFC back to the wild but I don't see why they won't command a premium a little farther down the line. The 1970 gets all kinds of accolades due to the low mintage of 2,150,000. Yes, it is 40% silver but that's not why it gets the attention, it's the quantity minted. According to my records for example, the 2008P and 2008D each minted only 1,700,000 at each mint. Why wouldn't they eventually be worth more than face, especially if they are uncirculated??

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I get tons of them when i get boxes..I only keep ones that are "Proof Like"..the first box i got i had over 40 of them from 2000 and later..i keep some..but ended up dumping most of them back

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CardsNCoins said:
Rooter said:

They come from hoarders that dump them after finally realizing that holding them was pointless.

Agree 100%. I recently scored a bag that contained a bit over $700 and it had well over 300 NIFCs in it. They're now back in the "system" and I hope they make their way to someone that wants them.
packerbacker said:
I agree with Thurm. I've thought about releasing the NIFC back to the wild but I don't see why they won't command a premium a little farther down the line. The 1970 gets all kinds of accolades due to the low mintage of 2,150,000. Yes, it is 40% silver but that's not why it gets the attention, it's the quantity minted. According to my records for example, the 2008P and 2008D each minted only 1,700,000 at each mint. Why wouldn't they eventually be worth more than face, especially if they are uncirculated??

I disagree. If you're a collector, by all means collect whatever you want. If you're holding on to NIFCs as an investment, then I think you're wasting your time and tying up money that could be better invested elsewhere. I personally think you'd have a better "return" taking the money you have tied up in clad NIFCs and buying junk silver at spot or just putting the cash back into your CRH bankroll.

Take the 1987 for example. This coin is now 24 years old and there is no real demand for the coin. If the clad NIFC are ever going to command a premium, and thats a BIG 'if' in my opinion, its well into the future. That money could be better spent elsewhere IMO.

sneak

Oct 24, 2007
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

CardsNCoins said:
Rooter said:

Yep! I dumped about $70 worth of NIFC's a couple of weeks ago. I kept the '87's and the few 2008's after I noticed the low mintage of only 1.7 million.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

i save all of my NIFC's just for the hell of it...theyre different, and not terribly common, and have low mintage #'s, so i save 'em...but to everyone their own! keep it up and hh!

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CHAINCHOMP said:
i save all of my NIFC's just for the hell of it...theyre different, and not terribly common, and have low mintage #'s, so i save 'em...but to everyone their own! keep it up and hh!
I'm with chainchomp on this one. A guy on here a few months ago posted that he had found several solid rolls of NIFC, but was going to dump them. I sent him a PM offering 12 bucks a roll for them and his reply was that he wasn't stupid :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Like chomp said, to each their own...........

joad

Apr 15, 2009
East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

My theory in these are that a collector has cherrypicked the best coins from a mint roll or bag and dumped the rest.

Joad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions