To foundinrolls

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Bill, Welcome to the forum, Yesterday morning I saw you had 3 post, today 21. At this rate you'll be a hero member in no time. From your post you seem most knowledgable. I would guess you've been a collector for a while. Your profile doesn't show much but it does look like your on the west coast. I hope you're not the one thats been beating me to all the banks.

Upvote 0

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Hi,
Thanks for your welcome!! I might be the guy that is beating you to the banks:-) I've been doing this stuff for a long time! I write about my searching escapades for CoinWorld and I really get a kick out of this part of the coin collecting hobby.

Thanks again for welcoming me in! Although i am on many, many forums, I try to hit them all at least twice each week. i will do my best to help and answer any questions that I am able to shed some light upon.

Have Fun,
Bill

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Bill,
Let me add my "welcome". I have been reading your posts, and it is obvious you really know your coins!!
Thanks for your contributions, present and future.
I look forward to learning more about this hobby by reading your comments.
Thank you,
Bob

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Hi HobBob,
Thank you for your welcome as well!!!
I hope to help as this topic is right up my alley :-) !
Thanks,
Bill

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I've been reading your column for quite awhile now, nice of you to join us! I especially liked the one about the 700 year old english penny you found awhile back; last fall sometime, I believe. What a find! I think you'll like TNet- lots of knowledgeable people here, and good finds popping up every day, it seems. Welcome, Bill ;D

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Hi,
That was an Edward II silver penny that was in a roll of dimes:-) There were a few silver dimes in the roll as well. beside this particular forum, I've been looking at the metal detector finds. At some point I want to look through my detected stuff and post a few pics. I havent been out in awhile and This website is giving me the bug again!

Have Fun,
Bill

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Hi,
I can see that!! It's hard for me to fit any more bugs in, but I can try.
Just briefly, most of you know I am into coins, I am into writing about it, I am also a choir director. My other huge passion is parrots. I have more than 20 of them. I do rescues. I retrain them but I DO NOT rehome them. they are with me. That is a lot of work but it pays off.

Anyway, I know it's off topic but if anyone is interested, I have a website that is devoted to teaching about parrots.
http://www.birdscomefirst.org

Getting back on topic, The birds, coins and music keep me so busy that I can't imagine where I'll stick the metal detecting back into the schedule...BUT...It's gotta happen :-)

Have Fun,
Bill

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forums from me as well, although I'm a bit late on it, haha. I think I've read your articles in the past as well. Maybe if you ever get the time you could write up a little how-to / what to look for and post it here and mods could make it a sticky at the top of this forum for everyone to see and add their knowledge to as well.

So what are some of your best finds from coin rolls?

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Hi All,
And that stuff is just the tip of the iceberg.
I have hundreds , literally, of rare doubled and tripled die variety coins of various denominations that have turned up. I've been lucky enough to have made several discoveries of new varieities on different years of cents.
One of my proudest discoveries was of a 1972 S business strike doubled die cent. After all the years since 1972 with all of the varieities thought to be found. A new one still pops up! I know of one other besides the one I have here.
Anyway, the suggestion of writing what to do and what to look for would be a book. At some point, I'll try to encapsulate it into something that wouldn't take a week to read :-)
Have Fun,
Bill

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Hey there Bill, I was just wondering.... since you're "in the circle" so to speak- Are Fivas/Stanton gonna do an update on the Cherrypickers guide? I have heard rumors for years now.... LOL! And also, have you collaborated with them?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro, the new Cherrypicker's Guide, Fourth Edition, Volume 1 (covering half cents thru nickels) is already on sale. It's the second volume (half dimes thru double eagles) that's been delayed. Whitman Publishing has taken over production of the book from Fivaz/Stanton.

The latest news is the 2nd volume will make its debut at the ANA World's Fair of Money in Denver this August and no doubt on sale after that directly from Whitman.

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Hi,
That's right. The addition is that if anyone prepaid JT Stanton for the book prior to this Whitman edition, JT will take care of sending the book directly to you. If you did order from him and pre pay, you have to email him. If not, wait until it is out.
The cents thru nickel version pays for itself in no time. I cant wait to see the next edition.

Also, there is a pocket sized Cherrypickers Guide that includes some good stuff from each denomination.

Also, I always add this to posts about the Cherrypickers' Guides. Please remember that it is edited by Mike Ellis and he did an incredible amount of work.

Have Fun,
Bill

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I guess I used the wrong wording there, LOL! I have the cherrypickers guide, just wondering when the next volume was coming.... this fall? Cool!

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Bill, I'm going to have a look at your website but I do have a couple of questions for you. How often do you search(daily,weekly,monthly)? Since halves have been searched for so many years and are now being searched even more, do you think the coin roll silver supply will dry up in the next few years or replenish itself from people depositing coins on a regular basis?

By all means welcome to TNET and do some of the parrots talk? :)

WOW, 45 years of roll searching! :o

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Hi,
I usually have a few bags of something needing to be searched here. It depends on what's going on and what I can get. I can usually get all the cents I want. Halves are a little more scarce where I am but not impossible tio get. I usually get halves every two weeks or so. I also dio other denominations but as I've said in my column occasionaly, I am not too fond of looking at tons of dimes. It's just hard on my eyes even with a good lens.

As far as silver drying up. It doesn't seem to. I can't tell you all the reasaons why but it seems to me that some are turned in. Some are still mixed in at the Federal reserve banks. Some counting houses like brinks still end up putting them in rolls and some are still just sitting around in vaults in some out of the way places.

People have been reporting some nice silver finds to me via email and on some of the other coin forums I'm on.

It just takes patience and eventually thje really good stuff turns up.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Have Fun,
Bill

OP
OP
goldinmypan

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
My theory is that all my rejects go back to whoever is rerolling them, be it the Fed or Brinks, and they put them in boxes and on the shelf. Then the next order comes in and they pick up the boxes on the top. HEY YOUSE GUYS GIMME THE BOXES FROM THE BOTTOM O DA STACK. >:(

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
I'm still here but spread thin lately :-) I've been spending a lot of time getting stuff done on my parrot website. Also working on some other bird related things. I split my time amongst , coins, birds and music. Sometimes, I can't keep up with everything:-)

But....I'm trying :-)

Bill

HobBob said:
Hey Bill!! Where did you go?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread