Interesting talk with a branch manager today...UPDATED

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I walk in to pick up my two boxes of halves today and the bank manager says "Hi, I talked to the other branch manager at the other bank you are ordering from and we know you have been ordering halves from both branches." I say, "Yes, I have been doing that for many months now with no problems, your tellers can't lift more than two boxes at a time so I thought I would make it easy for you by ordering two at your branch and two at the other branch each week."

He looks surprised, then says "Oh, but Loomis says the boxes will be $25.00 each from now on if you want to keep ordering them." I say "$25.00 each? That's outrageous!" He says " Yes, I don't think they want you ordering boxes anymore because you are the only one in this area ordering them and they are a non-circulating coin. They also say they are just re-rolling your my dumps so I am getting my same coins each week." I say "Oh really, then why do I find coins for my sets every single week?" He seemed confused. "I order from you guys (Loomis) and then dump my rejects on Brinks." If I was getting my reject coins back each week why would I still be ordering coins from you guys?"

He is really surprised by my statement. I said it sounds like Loomis doesn't like to lift/deliver heavier boxes, more laziness and convenience for them than anything else. Then I told him about my sister who is the branch manager for the largest Bank in North Carolina and how I know banks pay flat fees monthly for all coins, not special prices for special coins, etc. I also tell him that I think the $25.00 per box fee is total BS, he smiles and can see that I called their bluff. He then goes on to tell me they pay .16 cents per $100 of rolled coin. I proceed to tell him I have my mortgage, home equity, checking and savings account not to mention I pay them over $800 a month in interest on these loans, I have had direct deposit for over a decade with them, have lots of money saved in my accounts and the least they could do is order me a few boxes of coins each week. I said if push comes to shove I will pay the 80 cents per box each week if necessary.

He seemed very surprised that I was so knowledgeable and that I didn't just throw in the towel but instead called their bluff. He then told me they would have my coins ready for me next week and we would talk more about this issue in the future. I shook his hand, picked up my boxes and went home.

I'll let you know what happens at the other branch next week. :icon_thumleft:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Upvote 0

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Interesting talk with a branch manager today...

I opened a ck account at a local bank here and asked first if they would order box's they said no problem after the 6th box ordered they said they would have to start charging for coins, I asked how much to dump they said nothing . So guess what dump dump dump, because I deposit all the dumps into my ck account they have no problem, Then I order from a different bank and pay with a ck. no charge there.

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey
i had same problem with my bank friday.
after picking up my 4 boxes of halves i tried to order 4 more, and the teller said she ha to speak to the vault manager first. when she came back she said she's not sure they could order halves for since these coins "are not in circulation" ???. i told her the WERE in circ. and they are legal tenders but she wouldn't change her mind.

on this 4 boxes i kept the wrappers and carefully re-rolled the halves, along with a box of nickles, half a box of pennies, and 5 boxes of halves from a friend of mine that is also CRHing (he was so happy when i offered him to dump his $2.5k for him lol), and walked into this branch with a hand-truck loaded with around $4,600 in coins and asked to deposit them. the teller had this WTF face :o when she saw me.

i politely explained that i usually i order boxes from her, as this is my main bank, and dump at TD where i also have an account, but since they refused to order more boxes for me i had to switch around and order boxes from TD then dump it here. :tongue3:

1 hour later (seriously, ONE HOUR), i walked out of the bank with the $4600 in my checking account, $9.50 in loose halves (1x 40%er), a standing order for 4 boxes halves / week, and a big smile ;D

i have to thank you guys, since i'd never think of doing that if it wasn't for the stories i read here sometimes. 3 months ago i'd probably just say a lame "ok" and walk out of the bank. you rock! :headbang:

Saabman

Aug 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
F75

Thanks fr sharing all that info.....and well played!!!!!! :notworthy:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

yonico said:
on this 4 boxes i kept the wrappers and carefully re-rolled the halves, along with a box of nickles, half a box of pennies, and 5 boxes of halves from a friend of mine that is also CRHing (he was so happy when i offered him to dump his $2.5k for him lol), and walked into this branch with a hand-truck loaded with around $4,600 in coins and asked to deposit them. the teller had this WTF face :o when she saw me.

Man, that is a funny story! LOL!

One question though, aren't you worried about getting your dumps back, at least for the first few weeks?

I would have loved to seen the look on that teller's face!

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

clovis97 said:
yonico said:

Man, that is a funny story! LOL!

One question though, aren't you worried about getting your dumps back, at least for the first few weeks?

I would have loved to seen the look on that teller's face!

hey
i know for sure i won't get my dumps cause i ordered 4 boxes, they all come from brinks and sealed. the ones i've deposited will be shipped out since they are costumer rolled. if i do get them, though, i'll recognize it easily as i marked the rolls on the outside (not the coins).

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As promised, I wanted to provide you all with an update to this harrowing tale:

At long last, I went to pick up my two boxes of halves from this branch tonight and the manager comes up to me right away smiling and says: "You were right, my suppliers didn't want to load and unload your heavy boxes every week so they were complaining and trying to get you to stop ordering but I told them to go jump in a lake. You'll get your boxes here every week no problem." I shake his hand and thank him for going to bat for me even though I am not exactly sure that is the entirety of the story and how things really transpired (as I stated previously, I think the bank failed to realize the entirety of the business relationship I have with them before trying to pull the plug on me).

At any rate, he then tells me that "They were complaining about the heavy lifting but they just bring them in on a cart and I am the one who does all of the lifting!!! We had a good chuckle, he got me my coins and I thanked him again before leaving. Well, that concludes my update, glad I was well prepared last week to stave off the banks non-ordering attack!!! :tongue3: You should all be ready when your time comes as well! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the update. I'd buy that manager a gift certificate for a lunch or something, $800 interest and all.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
You would think that the coin handlers would love the job security we provide them. ::)

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
"I proceed to tell him I have my mortgage, home equity, checking and savings account not to mention I pay them over $800 a month in interest on these loans"

Dang! That would break my heart! I can't imagine paying that amount of interest every month; I'd cry! But I do have a question. I can understand having a mortgage and checking and savings account at a bank, but I'm not familiar with having a "home equity account" with a financial organization. Is this something I've not heard of? I thought home equity was an etherial thing that you cash in on (or not) when a property transaction takes place. 'Course, I'm getting elderly... and don't do high end financial arrangements. Sorry... But... maybe this is something that you have a credit line on that balances your line with your equity? Help?

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
Thanks for the up date.We all have to stand up to the lazy bank tellers that dont want to do their jobs. I just told my pick up bank that i was moveing my checking(25000) into there bank, as long as they can get me two boxes a week. They said it would be no problem. They even asked if i could take there hand rolls when they come in. Since I have taken them in the past, with good results. I said just call and i will pick them up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions