Coinstar machines reject silver.

2006Solstice

Jul 2, 2005
Hello,
I went to dump some halves at a coinstar machine and decided to throw in some halves (1936-D in AU, 1951-D in MS, and 1968-D in XF) with silver. While dumping about 100 dollars, I heard that something came back. I checked...all three coins were rejected! After a second try, they returned again. Anyway, I believe this is a nice indication that coinstar machines may be rejecting silver.

Salutations.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
It has been widely accepted that the coinstar machines reject silver, and many find silver just checking the return slot while just passing by. But I would never even risk a 40% to find out.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of CRH.

Mojo

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I think that dimes would be a much cheaper way to test machine. I can tell you that the machines dont reject all the silver. I have gone through about 10 bags off coin machines and found silver in every one.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
treeslayer said:
I think that dimes would be a much cheaper way to test machine. I can tell you that the machines dont reject all the silver. I have gone through about 10 bags off coin machines and found silver in every one.

The OP is referring to the Coinstar brand machines (like you see in supermarkets) I believe. It is often said that these will kick out all silver coins.

The coin machines in your banks are most likely not Coinstar brand, and yes many of these machines do accept silver. I have learned this too by getting bags of the machines when I can.

Some of the self-service machines will kick out silver dimes, in that I find them in the return slot at one of my dump banks sometimes. But that same machine does take silver halves of all types because before I made it my dump bank I used to buy off the machine and found silver halves.

Jim

OP
OP

2006Solstice

Jul 2, 2005
treeslayer said:
I can tell you that the machines dont reject all the silver. I have gone through about 10 bags off coin machines and found silver in every one.
All electric machines may "malfunction". If an aforementioned machine rejects the majority of silver coinage, then wouldn't it be "undesirable" if it were not to do it?
I've just found the location of two other Coinstar machines near my area, and next week, I plan to massively test them with silver. If the majority is rejected, then I will acknowledge your claim as invalid.
Let's suppose that the mechanism doesn't consist in rejecting silver items, specifically. Well, I can come forth and obscure any genuine mechanism of rejection by simply placing the "difference" onto my side. In this case (excluding other factors), I throw in some silver coinage and the grand majority is rejected...therefore, the difference is on my side. (I recognize that my words are specified quite weakly, but they are just [adverb] to give a general idea.)

I've bought bags from other coin counting machines and have found: toothpicks, a little screw, hair, a piece of wood, a braid, etcetera. However, is everything that finalizes in the bag considered "counted"? Besides, on planet Earth, security does not exist. Regardless of the location of a particular machine, numerous things may alter and filter something onto it.

Cordial salutations.

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
Why in the world would you lose silver just to be right? For sure if you dump silver en masse into the coinstar machine you will lose some silver. So the question is, is it really worth it just to be right? Some of these people have been coin roll hunting for years so I'm sure they know their stuff.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wondering this for quite a long time. Thanks for doing the experiment. I've found 3 40% halves and 1 seated dime in the reject tray of the coinstar in my grocery store. So I assume that coinstar rejects silver coins but not 100% sure about it. I don't want to risk losing my silver coins especially a 90% half to just find out the fact. You have a very strong curiosity about how things work. Good for you! We Americans loves inventors and creators, even they do things sound silly in the begining.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Broken record here. Coin star machines reject worn coins. Silver coins are older and therefore often times more worn. The machines do in fact take silver coins that are not worn.

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
Let's say the machine is rejecting 90% of the 90's,silver,or even 40's. Is it so hard to check them? Is it worth the loss of a potential key date?

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, it's his silver. If he wants to test it to see if it rejects gold, it's fine by me. On a side note, it really makes me wonder the IQ of people who do not have the sense to check the reject chute. Also, most of the people using coinstars are probably desperate for money, so why not take the time to roll the change and avoid fees? (Although they probably have trouble counting that high).
Survival of the fittest (and smartest) indeed. Good experiment, Solstice :thumbsup:

HH,
Legend

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
Granted,its his decision.And potential loss. It just sounded to me as tho he's tried to use the coinstar as a rydale,to save the effort of actually looking at the coin.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't check dates on the halves I turn in and the machine at my dump back has kicked out 2 of the 40%ers that I had overlooked.

lookin4coins

Feb 27, 2010
That's interesting.

You can't blame a guy for being curious.

Let's take your test a step further, because I'm curious about this too...

Package up the same silver you used on your first test and send it to me. Let's see if I will reject it and send it back to you or keep it. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread