Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for the rant but I gotta share this so others can beware:

Long story short, I answer an ad on craigslist. Guy is buying Silver Dollars (Morgan or Peace) for $25 each for his kids. There are NO stipulations in the ad as to year or condition. He even mentions that his price is $3 over melt value. Sounds good to me to move some of my common dates (3 to be exact).

I email him and ask what is the minimum condition. He tells me he will pay melt value for the "junk" ones but never defines the term "junk". I email him back, if he wants to buy 3 common dates (one is an O mintmark) for the $25 he had in his ad. All 3 are VF-XF, none cleaned.

He responds, well silver dipped and he will only pay me melt plus 50 cents per coin. Claims his is the best price around even though I have to drive an hour to meet him. I knew it was too good to be true. Even though you can get comparable prices on ebay for even most fine condition common dates. Watch out for that crap, a "cash for gold" guy in disguise. End rant.

Upvote 0

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Who puts an ad on CL and then expects someone to drive an hour to meet them? That is more ridiculous than him changing the price.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
jerseyben said:

Long story short, I answer an ad on craigslist. Guy is buying Silver Dollars (Morgan or Peace) for $25 each for his kids. There are NO stipulations in the ad as to year or condition. He even mentions that his price is $3 over melt value. Sounds good to me to move some of my common dates (3 to be exact).

I email him and ask what is the minimum condition. He tells me he will pay melt value for the "junk" ones but never defines the term "junk". I email him back, if he wants to buy 3 common dates (one is an O mintmark) for the $25 he had in his ad. All 3 are VF-XF, none cleaned.

He responds, well silver dipped and he will only pay me melt plus 50 cents per coin. Claims his is the best price around even though I have to drive an hour to meet him. I knew it was too good to be true. Even though you can get comparable prices on ebay for even most fine condition common dates. Watch out for that crap, a "cash for gold" guy in disguise. End rant.

He says your coins were dipped so he'll pay melt plus 50 cents? Dipping does not devalue any coins since they can be re-toned. Often if it's too good to be true, chances are they're not. I had a dealer low ball me once too. He quoted a price over the phone and when I showed up 2 hours later, he lowered his bid price. Although, getting 50 cents over spot is good for some average circulated Morgans.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBayArea said:
jerseyben said:

He says your coins were dipped so he'll pay melt plus 50 cents? Dipping does not devalue any coins since they can be re-toned. Often if it's too good to be true, chances are they're not. I had a dealer low ball me once too. He quoted a price over the phone and when I showed up 2 hours later, he lowered his bid price. Although, getting 50 cents over spot is good for some average circulated Morgans.
Did he mean the price of silver dropped? Dang, at $30 I was ok to pay $25 ea. on Morgans/Peace.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Find a dealer you trust and buy and sell there! Only other I trust is the US Mint if you are into collecting.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run ads on CL to buy coins all the time I pay under melt.....lol

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Nothing wrong with advertising no Craigslist. Hate the bait and switch though.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Goes4ever said:
I run ads on CL to buy coins all the time I pay under melt.....lol

There are tons of ads on CL advertising to buy coins under melt. I have no problem with this and I'm sure you get lots of business. This guy pulled a "bait and switch" on me. That's what I was ticked off about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread