some idiot on craigslist
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    T2 SE
    2193 times

some idiot on craigslist

Sorry for the rant but I gotta share this so others can beware:

Long story short, I answer an ad on craigslist. Guy is buying Silver Dollars (Morgan or Peace) for $25 each for his kids. There are NO stipulations in the ad as to year or condition. He even mentions that his price is $3 over melt value. Sounds good to me to move some of my common dates (3 to be exact).

I email him and ask what is the minimum condition. He tells me he will pay melt value for the "junk" ones but never defines the term "junk". I email him back, if he wants to buy 3 common dates (one is an O mintmark) for the $25 he had in his ad. All 3 are VF-XF, none cleaned.

He responds, well silver dipped and he will only pay me melt plus 50 cents per coin. Claims his is the best price around even though I have to drive an hour to meet him. I knew it was too good to be true. Even though you can get comparable prices on ebay for even most fine condition common dates. Watch out for that crap, a "cash for gold" guy in disguise. End rant.
    "Internet quotes are often inaccurate."
    -Abraham Lincoln

us
    Mar 2010
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Radio Shack Discover
    7 times

Re: some idiot on craigslist

I've been there and done that. Their all over now a day because the silver and gold prices keep going up.

us
    Nov 2010
    113 times

Who puts an ad on CL and then expects someone to drive an hour to meet them? That is more ridiculous than him changing the price.

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    31 times

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyben

Long story short, I answer an ad on craigslist. Guy is buying Silver Dollars (Morgan or Peace) for $25 each for his kids. There are NO stipulations in the ad as to year or condition. He even mentions that his price is $3 over melt value. Sounds good to me to move some of my common dates (3 to be exact).

I email him and ask what is the minimum condition. He tells me he will pay melt value for the "junk" ones but never defines the term "junk". I email him back, if he wants to buy 3 common dates (one is an O mintmark) for the $25 he had in his ad. All 3 are VF-XF, none cleaned.

He responds, well silver dipped and he will only pay me melt plus 50 cents per coin. Claims his is the best price around even though I have to drive an hour to meet him. I knew it was too good to be true. Even though you can get comparable prices on ebay for even most fine condition common dates. Watch out for that crap, a "cash for gold" guy in disguise. End rant.
    He says your coins were dipped so he'll pay melt plus 50 cents? Dipping does not devalue any coins since they can be re-toned. Often if it's too good to be true, chances are they're not. I had a dealer low ball me once too. He quoted a price over the phone and when I showed up 2 hours later, he lowered his bid price. Although, getting 50 cents over spot is good for some average circulated Morgans.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    3268 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by SFBayArea
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseyben

He says your coins were dipped so he'll pay melt plus 50 cents? Dipping does not devalue any coins since they can be re-toned. Often if it's too good to be true, chances are they're not. I had a dealer low ball me once too. He quoted a price over the phone and when I showed up 2 hours later, he lowered his bid price. Although, getting 50 cents over spot is good for some average circulated Morgans.
    Did he mean the price of silver dropped? Dang, at $30 I was ok to pay $25 ea. on Morgans/Peace.

um
    Jan 2010
    Fisher F2
    2 times

Find a dealer you trust and buy and sell there! Only other I trust is the US Mint if you are into collecting.

On extended Holiday.

Dec 2008
    72 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

us
    Jan 2008
    NorthWest Ohio
    Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
    2315 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I run ads on CL to buy coins all the time I pay under melt.....lol

us
    Feb 2010
    Dallas,GA
    Garrett Ace 250
    1 times

Nothing wrong with advertising no Craigslist. Hate the bait and switch though.
    2010 Totals
       1964 Ken 185 , 40% Ken 1605, Ben 48, WLH 17, Barber 1
    90% Proof 13, Proof 180, Other/Comm 13 , silver comm 2
         Merc 2, Roos 24, Canadian 1
          War Nickel 6, Silv Wash 7 Grand total 2010 silver keepers= 1911 keepers

us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    T2 SE
    2193 times

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4ever
    I run ads on CL to buy coins all the time I pay under melt.....lol
    There are tons of ads on CL advertising to buy coins under melt. I have no problem with this and I'm sure you get lots of business. This guy pulled a "bait and switch" on me. That's what I was ticked off about.
    "Internet quotes are often inaccurate."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored Links