Where is the Double Die on the 73D and 74D half???

craig101

May 8, 2006
Where is the Double Die on the '73D and '74D half???

I looked at the coin guys site and it shows the date and "we trust" having some doubling.

I didn't find any '73D and '74D with this type of Doubling, BUT i did find about 7 coins with distinct doubling in the wording "HALF DOLLAR". the degree varies, from a couple of the letters having some doubling, to 2 '73s that almost all the letters were doubled and i could see that with my bare eye, it was that severe, not like the 1955 double die penny, but even myself as the novice could see this doubling.

is this the type of doubling you guys are seeing?

thanks

Craig

Upvote 0

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006
Re: Where is the Double Die on the '73D and '74D half???

Hi, The doubling that you describe is most likely mechanical doubling. i see it on the reverse of the halves all the time. Die Doubling has a very specific look and you can see notches and grooves that aere different than most of the doubling seen on the halves.

There are some good ones that really are doubled dies but it takes a really trained eye to tell the difference. It is easier to determine on the obverses as you can often see extra serifs on the W of WE and the U of TRUST.

On the Reverses, I find that you can sometimes see nice separations ans splits on the first S and last S of STATES.

mechanical doubling looks flat and shelf like, and there is no separation between the images.

i added a pic of a 1964 TDO Kennedy so you can see what the notches on ther U of TRUST look like

I also added a pic of the S in STATES showing the kind of notch to look for.

Notice that the doubling is not flat.

I hope this helps

Bill

Attachments

• 64tdo1.jpg
    64tdo1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 215
  • 69ddr1.jpg
    69ddr1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 221

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On the 74D you need to look at the RUS in TRUST, as this is where it can be seen best. You will need a magnifying glass for it though. My goal is to find 100 of these, I have 87 so need 13 more. HH

foundinrolls

Jun 6, 2006

Hi,
This is the Trust on one of the 1974 D DDO Kennedys I have. I don't have 87 though!! When you get to 100. let me know, I'll add it to my column in CW :-)
Anyway, here's the pic.
Bill

Attachments

• TRUST.JPG
    TRUST.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 207

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread