When searching halves, what do you look for?

mrxsys

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2010
I am sure that this type of message has been sent out before.... Sorry!

When we go through halves we look for: All 1970 and before. 1987. Proofs (S mint mark). And the occaisional oddball: the commemerative ones etc. I feel like we could be missing some important dates. What do you look for? Another thing that I know I do is as soon as I see a Bicentennial whether it's the front or back that I see first, I chuck it in the dump bucket. Thoughts? Concerns?

Upvote 0

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver, plain and simple! :thumbsup: Look for white or dark coin edges. Note: some 40%er edges look just like clad so take your time!

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
As a helpful suggestion, read the past pages of this forum. I think I read every post about half dollars, going back at least 12 pages. I still go back and read pages when I have time.

It will help you immensely!

OP
OP
M

mrxsys

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2010
HA! ;D I can safely say that no silver has gone unnoticed by us!! :laughing9: We've been doing this now for just over a month, so we can get through a box pretty quickly by now. I was just wondering if there were any other key dates we should look for. (i.e. 1987 and such) Thanks for the input about the 40's. I wondered if that was the case.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
If you are a collector and have the time, look for 1974-D double dies on the obverse. The word "TRUST" will have double dies on the R, U, S,. Also look for the missing designer intitials "FG" on the reverse of the 1972-D. These coins bring a premium. Especially if they are high grade.
Hope that helps you.
rileyboy

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want to keep as many 1971's you can find :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

I try to keep at least one of each year of the 2000's..not worth anything..just cool to have..most are in great shape

OP
OP
M

mrxsys

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2010
Nice try with the 71's! Almost had me for a second. ;D How about I keep the 76's too?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread